When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

...The best actresses who could play the role (Dakota Fanning & AnnaSophia Robb) are acting now, yet what does Warner Bros. do? Sit on this property and Superman and do nothing with either!

It's time that the WB get cracking and make the movies already, especially as the above-mentioned ladies are growing up fast! We've already seen the role slip through the fingers of Kirsten Dunst and Hayden Pantierre, and others like Haley Cucco; let's not see the role pass these two lovely ladies up!

Does anybody agree with me?

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hm, when I saw the thread title, I was going to suggest Kristen Bell. My mental image of Supergirl is shaped by the DCAU version designed by Bruce Timm and voiced by Nicholle Tom, so I guess I'm thinking in terms of her personality and attitude.

I can't say I agree with most of your casting recommendations -- particularly if that last one is meant to reference Kaley Cuoco from Charmed, who's one of the most thoroughly unappealing actresses I've ever seen. Well, I can't address Ms. Robb as a candidate since I'm not familiar with her, though she looks nice enough in her IMDb pictures. Ms. Panetierre has potential, but she doesn't seem quite the right type to me somehow. Same with Ms. Fanning -- I liked her in Push, but she just doesn't strike me as a Supergirl type, and neither does Ms. Dunst.

Trying to think of teenage blonde actresses I'm familiar with... Eureka's Jordan Hinson is all that comes to mind. I'd suggest Castle's Molly C. Quinn, but it would be a crime to dye her gorgeous red hair. Anyone object to a ginger Supergirl?

And I think most of us would agree that the main goal for a Supergirl movie would be to expunge the memory of the one whose IMDb entry is linked in the previous post. Helen Slater was lovely, Jerry Goldsmith's music was excellent, some of the flying sequences were cool, but my gods, what a mess of a movie.

4. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^If we're going with a red head, I'd sooner have a Batgirl movie.

Actually, I just want a Batgirl movie regardless. I'm not even fussy which Batgirl. Babs (Year One), Cass, Steph - all fantastic characters.
    /OT

5. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Not only do I disagree, these choices are beyond dreadful! Do I have better suggestions of my own... no, not at the moment. But at the very least I'd choose a woman and not prepubescent looking little girls.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank God.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, the problem with a Supergirl movie is that EVERY Supergirl origin is either ridiculously lame or diminishes Superman's 'Last son of Krypton' schtick.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Warner Bros. hasn't been able to succesfully launch Superman as a film property in the past twenty years. I see no reason why they'd pursue Supergirl. It's not as famous, not as popular, and already lead to a box-office catastrophe in the 1980s. Hollywood isn't exactly rushing to make films with female leads, especially superhero films with female leads, either.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Of all those mentioned, Kristen Bell is the only one that makes me go "Yeah, she'd work!" The rest range from "nah" to "Oh good god NO!"

10. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'd rather see a Batgirl or Huntress flick.

or even Black Canary...

or Power Girl...

11. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Or a BoP movie with all of them. That would rock.

12. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

^ true dat.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, she's called Supergirl for a reason. In most incarnations, she's supposed to be a teenager. So it's appropriate to consider actresses who are in the 16-18 range or can pass for it.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

A Power Girl movie could never be made, I don't think. At least one that follows her comic mythology. Her back story is so convoluted and messy that I don't think it could realistically be translated to film without having the audience go "Huh...whut?" They'd be better off making a Supergirl film as PG and SG are largely the same character.

That being said, I don't mind being proven wrong.

I'll agree with that (although, I am not a big fan of Cass).

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

Adrianne Palicki played the fake Kara from Smallville's S4 finale, and could still be a very solid choice, imo...

[​IMG]

A very fair point. So, why not make her a parallel universe female Kal-El? Jor-El had a daughter instead of a son, and launched her. Ergo, Supergirl, with a non-lame origin that doesn't diminish Clark's. :bolian:

16. Plan 9

Plan 9 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Young blond women are really hard to find in Hollywood, so I imagine casting such a movie would be arduous indeed. Oops, did I let a little sarcasm sneak into my post? :D

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

A very fair point. So, why not make her a parallel universe female Kal-El? Jor-El had a daughter instead of a son, and launched her. Ergo, Supergirl, with a non-lame origin that doesn't diminish Clark's. :bolian:[/QUOTE]

Then you'd have Power Girl.

I dunno...I think the "another planet from another universe" aspect would be too much for a mainstream movie.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ Er, no; Power Girl is an alternate version of Kara/Supergirl, who has AFAIK always existed alongside Superman in some form, whereas I'm proposing replacing Superman for this particular movie. An entirely different kettle of fish. As for the alternate universe angle, so long as there weren't any crossovers to Kal-El's universe, I hardly think audiences would be confused, seeing as how they embraced the loopier Trek XI without any trouble. It'd just be a Superman story, maybe showing Ma and Pa Kent, but with a chick. No problemo.

Speaking of which, I always wanted to see a Smallville episode with this sort of conceit, in which Clark somehow enters an alternative reality where a daughter of Jor-El and Lara came to Earth. Clark and his "sister" could then kick some butt together before the former went home.

19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I would go with Taylor Momsen for Supergirl. :)

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/category/taylor-momsen/page/4/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Momsen

She is young, very lovely and popular...soon to be even more so.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUy9Wp5O9EM[/yt]

:bolian:

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys are inspiring to write my own "Supergirl" script. I'd love to see a "Supergirl" script featuring the current Michael Turner/Jeph Loeb Kara. I've been a fan of hers since reading that arc. I dig Taylor Momsen. I like the idea of it being a coming of age superhero flick. You'd need the use of Superman, Lois, and Ma and Pa Kent maybe if you adapted the current edition. Probably would have to create a villain like the original film tried to do but make it more of a threat. Perhaps even a "Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes" film would be interesting. Hmmmm.....