Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Wait, you have to PAY to access the multiplayer servers on a console? Sod that for a game of conkers, I'll stick to PC gaming methinks!

Which BTW probably means I'm out of the squad since I doubt the MP will be cross platform.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well Aragorn and I will be playing it on the PS3.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I played the first two on the 360, so I might as well finish up the trilogy there. I am not going through at least 10 different playthroughs all over again just to play the game on PC or PS3! :lol:

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The PC route at least would be relatively easy, with Gibbed's ME2 Save Editor (or the modified version, for that matter).

I will also be finishing the trilogy on Xbox. I received a free PC copy of ME2 when I purchased a new copy of Dragon Age II for Xbox, but outside of SWTOR and STO I'm not much of a PC gamer.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^If necessary I think you could even use the Gibbed editor to reproduce a custom appearance as I'm pretty sure it works with xbox save files too. Handy little program that.

Personally, I've used it to do the non-intended romances (i.e. femshep with Tali, Miranda or Jack) just to see what'll happen if I import them into ME3. Also used a version of it to fix the Conrad Verner flags and finally get the paragon version of his encounter.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going PC for the trilogy and PS3 myself.

Not on the PS3 you don't :techman:

And its a better working console that uses blu ray technology so you only have to deal with ONE disk to play a game. :bolian::techman:

7. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

If you can put up with the out of sync sound and somewhat worse graphics then the ps3 version is ok. atleast in regards to ME2.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, if I had a PC capable of running the games well enough (which I don't, sadly), I'd definitely go the save editor route. Oh well.

9. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're not crazy. :(

10. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure what you've seen/heard, but sound was perfect for me on my PS3 playthroughs of ME2, and the game looked frigging great to me.

11. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

It is actually a very common problem with the ps3 version. People started to notice shortly after the first patch. The audio would become very out of sync at certain spots and would even cut conversations off mid sentence. I have seen this problem myself with my own version.

On the graphics note, as much as I love my ps3, the 360 version is far superior. Mostly due to the game being made more with it in mind.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Wow, TBTB actually listened to the complaints about the novel. This is the first I've heard of a publisher mandated re-issue to fix continuity errors. I wonder what the rules are regarding author credit and royalties if someone other than the original author re-writes a book? I mean, that is assuming they'll get someone else to "fix" it.

Moreover, will they offer replacements to those who bought the (soon to be rare collectors items) original manuscripts or just make them pay for it a second time? I mean it's not like they're correcting misprints or some other production related typesetting error. They're talking about changing the substance of the text.

Not that I think it'll make things "better" (save perhaps for the wiki people) since a badly written story will still be a badly written story no matter how canon it's references are...still, it feels oddly appropriate that a gaming IP based book is getting a post launch patch. ;)

13. PsychoPere

Good to hear, though I'm not thrilled with the idea of buying the book a second time.

14. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Fans in general could stand to take tie ins a little less seriously. The idea that a tie in fiction could overwrite what it ties in to is ludicrous, but fans seem to have that idea anyway.

Personally, I think the Mass Effect tie ins could have been better if they'd abandoned all pretense of being canon and followed the between-the-games adventures of the Normandy crew. I found the Sanders/Grayson side story fairly tedious.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think things like this are generally seen by the parent companies as little more than advertising for the main game, with only one eye towards making extra merchandising profit from the die-hard fans.

I think the reason this has caused such a stink (yes, it even made it to Penny Arcade) is because up until this point, quality control has been fairly consistent (for obvious reasons.) The quality itself has never been exceptional so much as is has been acceptable, with this new entry straying totally off the reservation and into utter-garbage territory.

Still, I stand by my assertion that correcting factual errors won't suddenly make the book "better" (not that it coudl get any worse, if half of what I've read is accurate.) I mean how can they "correct" the way the main character is portrayed? How exactly does one grow out of autism? A factually correct load of crap is still a load of crap.

16. PsychoPere

We have that "idea" because BioWare has described their tie-ins as being part of an overarching universe. It's completely reasonable to expect that the material is consistent in such a case.

17. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You may have found it tedious, but I enjoyed reading about Admiral Anderson. And I wouldn't have bothered reading about a Shepard who's a completely different gender from mine. :)

Well, the character has been off of the experimental meds that Cerberus was giving her for 3 or 6 years (depending on whether you go by the calendar or by her age). It's quite possible that the autistic behavior was a side effect of those, rather than her actually having autism.

18. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Corporations lie to make money. :shrug:

To each his own I suppose. Wouldn't bother me to read someone elses interpretation of Shepard, so long as the games themselves continued to accomodate mine.

19. PsychoPere

That makes no sense in the context of what has happened here. If BioWare wasn't interested in maintaining a cohesive universe spanning games, novels, comics, and animation, then they wouldn't be bothering to fix the first work that has deviated in incredibly odd ways from their lore.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Bit of a disadvantage since I haven't actually read the book and don't really know exactly how she was written, but the the impression I've gotten is that the author basically shrugs the whole thing off as if it was "just a phase" rather than a lifelong emotional condition and is now completely "normal." I suspect that the writer either knew he didn't have the chops to portray autistic behaviour or was just lazy and couldn't be bothered to deal with it. From what I've read about the guy, either option (or both) are equally likely.

The way I see it, however much she may have opened up and improved over the last two or three years since 'Ascension', there's no way there wouldn't have left it's mark on how she thinks and behaves. That plus the impression I had was that Cerberus's medication had compounded an already existing condition, not created it. Even if it had, autism is a neural development disorder that has a very real physical effect on the way a person's neurons connect. Their brains are literally wired differently. While it's true that there are varying degrees of autism and some are functional enough that they can take care of themselves and pass for "normal" (for lack of a better term), whichever way you slice it, Gillian's condition was pretty damn severe--at times bordering on catatonic--for almost the entirety of her childhood. Drug induced or not that MUST have a noticeable impact.