TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 31 2014, 06:02 PM   #31
Mantyclause
Rear Admiral

Re: Stephen Hawking offers new theory of black holes

Please stop using BTUs instead of joules. Every time you do, it makes a baby scientist cry.
Old January 31 2014, 08:15 PM   #32
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
... I can't get myself to trust the ideas of a man who was not even able to do the maths for his theories himself...
That kind of sentence would be better suited describing someone who is an authority on politics or sociology.

Even if your claim above was true (it is actually a myth), you don't ever have to trust an authority in physics, and actually shouldn't. Instead, the claims themselves can be put to the test. In this case they have been 1000s of times and have yet to fail a single time. They are incredibly useful in making predictions and are falsifiable, so why would you need a level of trust in the man himself?

Do you have a specific issue with his published theories (other than your statement that at a gut level you don't like them and they are too complex), or do all your issues revolve around what kind of person you believe he was? And if it is the later, what on earth does that have to do with science?
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 08:58 PM   #33
gturner
Admiral

Manticore wrote: View Post
Please stop using BTUs instead of joules. Every time you do, it makes a baby scientist cry.
Okay,

E = m * c^2 / 14.95

Where m is in lbs, c is in mph, and E is in foot-pounds.

If I went metric - I'd use calories.

BTW, there's a natural unit system in which the speed of light is one, and the equation simplifies to E = m and the c^2 just rides along to give the correct units. It further simplifies a lot of other relativistic equations.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2014, 10:44 PM   #34
WarpFactorZ
Captain

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Other physicists, if I read the article right, aren't even sure about Hawking's latest theory. I am not a scientist. I'm not even good at math. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, even to me, that the traditional view of Black Holes should be changed at all. Have not "they" been saying since Time Forgot, that "normal" physics do not apply to Black Holes, anyway?
The hooplah over Hawking's "paper" (really a transcript of a talk he gave in Santa Barbara, CA) is media-driven. That is, it's wrong. Everything he said has been well-known to theoretical physicists for 30 years. In fact, Hawking originated the idea. He also DOES NOT say black holes don't exist. He says that at a quantum mechanical level, the notion of a one-way boundary (the event horizon) is flawed, because stuff comes back out after it goes in (black holes evaporate).

But, you can never retrieve the exact thing you sent in. If the Enterprise (or Nero) falls into a black hole, what comes back is a puree of matter and information, virtually unrelated to the original state.

So, do black holes exist? As far as we're concerned: yes. They just aren't the "no-return" things we thought.
WarpFactorZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 12:33 AM   #35
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I beg to differ.
You should beg for forgiveness. What I told you about talking science?

The same goes for E=mc². It is assumed to be correct but it has not been proven beyond doubt. Not disproven either, however. It's a bit like religion: a matter of belief. I'm an Einsteinian atheist
WHAT THE FUCK I DON'T EVEN HOLY SHIT Do you have any idea how science works? Because sure as hell you don't seem to.

But why would the universe use Terran SI-units? That's what raises my suspicions. The formula is just too smooth in my opinion. The universe tends to be more complicated.
Do you even know what you are talking about? Even just about slightly?

Still, it's only my personal opinion and as I said, everyone is entitled to his or her own views. Time will perhaps tell who was a bit closer to the truth than the others
False equivalence alert! Sorry, you don't get to have "personal opinions" on science, and you are not "entitled" to your own views on matters of fact. The universe doesn't give a fuck about your personal opinions and views.
Old February 1 2014, 12:46 AM   #36
{ Emma Snow }
Where you lead...

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I beg to differ.
You should beg for forgiveness. What I told you about talking science?

The same goes for E=mc². It is assumed to be correct but it has not been proven beyond doubt. Not disproven either, however. It's a bit like religion: a matter of belief. I'm an Einsteinian atheist
WHAT THE FUCK I DON'T EVEN HOLY SHIT Do you have any idea how science works? Because sure as hell you don't seem to.
My thoughts exactly...
Scientific theories: just like religion.

You heard it here first. It's like I stumbled into a creationist debate.

"Evolution is just a theory!".

Ugh... I'm so tired of people not understanding how theories work in science.

It's { Emilia }.
{ Emma Snow } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 03:43 AM   #37
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

But why would the universe use Terran SI-units? That's what raises my suspicions.
The formula uses "Terran" SI-units because it's a "Terran" formula...
Seems pretty obvious...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote