24 Day 7: 6:00PM - 8:00PM: Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Mar 2, 2009.

?

Grade the episodes

1. 6-7 Excellent

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. 6-7 Good

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. 6-7 Average

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. 6-7 Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6-7 Terrible

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. 7-8 Excellent

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  7. 7-8 Good

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. 7-8 Average

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  9. 7-8 Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. 7-8 Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

All of this is obviously designed to keep us viewers busy until "the shipment" arrives - supposedly in two hours so I imagine this White House business will be done by then.

This is all getting a bit too season four, with distraction after distraction.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Same, I mean the whole thing was just silly but I guess you just have to accept it. Like transporters and warpdrive.

In 24 it's logic incosistancies and killer cougars. ;)

I mean, I still seriously think that was one of the best hours/nights of 24 in a long-assed time, if not ever. It was tense and just great, great stuff.

But damn if it wasn't silly.

3. Trekker4747

Agreed.

It's crazy, half-baked and filled with win and WTF but he has a plan!

;)

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Now I know why this felt so familiar...

Story by Manny Coto and Brannon Braga

5. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

They didn't really know there was an attack on DC until, what about 20 minutes? And the underground attack was very implausible, so I'm sure that they didn't seriously consider an attack on the WH very likely until it was already under way.
    The torturing on the show doesn't bother my too much, torturing to get intel has very limited uses, this being a TV show they can manufacture those conditions at will. In real life how often do you know your target has reliable intel, and there is an extremely imminent threat.
    However, it does seem like Jacks methods this year are having more permanent effects on his targets.

6. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Jack should have taken the president hostage at gunpoint in reference to the classic "Two can play at this game!" bit from Police Squad!

7. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not trying to justify all the logic flaws in the episode, but we have to remember that

A) They knew that the Secret Service was full of corrupt agents that had just hours before tried to kill the President's husband and had earlier killed her son. So most of the SS agents had already been removed from the white house, with only the few that Bill vouched for remaining. That is why security was so light at the time of the attack.

B) The terrorists had real time security and technical help from people with direct access to all of the security plans, codes, technology making an impossible job (taking the white house) merely highly improbable.

C) There are still many corrupt officials out there who could have pulled security to different areas of the building, city, etc... not only earlier in the night, but maybe even weeks before by changing schedules, protocols, etc... so that when the attack happened security was already weaker or ineffective.

8. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

C) Doesn't work for several reasons, despite my earlier suggestion of something similar. Any prior conspiracy to undermine the SS detail was wiped clean by our heroes. Bill is in charge of White House security. He ousted the entire SS contingent and picked a local unit of Marines to act as the President's physical security detail. WHERE ARE THE MARINES? The only person who could dismiss the Marine bodyguards would be Bill or the President. Are we supposed to believe either did this in the 5 minute window between part 1 and part 2 here? Bill was unconscious and the Pres was dealing with Jack's interrogation aftermath, but from one moment to the next, the White House goes from crawling with Marines to sparse SS patrols and a whole gaggle wandering the lawn.

B) True. Retarded, but true.

A) See response to C above. The Marines were thick on the ground. I would argue security was even tighter than if they had just relied on SS. I would think anywhere from a platoon to a company of Marines would be needed to secure the White House grounds if they replaced the SS 1 for 1. Where did they go?

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

What makes it more complicated is that we found out in season two that Pierce "came on during Reagan's second term." Assuming it went (1) Reagan, (2) President before Palmer, (3) Palmer [and Prescott is not counted], (4) Keeler, and (5) Logan...I guess it does work out. Assuming Pierce is still retired, as he was shown in season six, and assuming he retired after being tortured by Logan. I didn't see the scene where he was introduced this year (what episode is it?), so I don't know how he became involved with all this.

10. Trekker4747

Meaningless. They knew there was an attack coming, they had no idea what the nature of the attack was going to be. It could've been a bomb, a plane, anything. The very second someone mentioned an "attack in D.C." the President should've had her wrinkly old ass in the bunker.

He was called in by someone (Bill?) for the special duty of taking care of FDOTUS.

11. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Or a Blazing Saddles approach. Jack gives the President his gun. She points it at her own head and walks out. "Alright, no one move or the President gets it!"

Jack: "Careful, General Juma. I don't think she's bluffing!"

Random Secretary: "Isn't anyone going to help that poor woman?"

Senator Dumbass: "Quiet, dumbass! That's surefire way of getting her killed!"

--Ted

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe next year can be set in space. You can't have unlimited moles and terrorists that way.

Or Jack can be searching for the Ark of the Covenant or something different.

13. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the real world sure, but every president in the 24'verse has to be stubborn and stupid.

She's already shown that she wouldn't willing go to the bunker without a direct threat minutes away from her. Hell, she forced them to take her to a hospital in the middle of the last attacks and wanted to stay there even if it wasn't half as safe as the white house.

All the presidents in 24 have a death wish and are so egotistical and arrogant they constantly put their own and other people lives at risk out of pride and a "Gosh darn it, we're Americans damn it! No terrorist from some sh*t hole third world country is goona make us do anything we don't want." attitude.

14. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

Beyond the obvious lack of believability of 24 in general what really annoyed me was that these dopes revealed the "big twist" of the first episode in the flippin' trailer. It dawned on me that while watching the episode that there was supposed to be some suspense leading up to the big reveal that the WH was the target. There was none.

On the upside, don't be concerned about that bullet in Agent Pierce's shoulder slowing him down.

I spoke with Glenn Morshower a couple of weeks ago and he told me that Pierce is going to have a more active role this season than in seasons past. He gave me no details beyond that because of the secrecy issue buy I always feel better when Pierce is more actively involved.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pierce will talk to Tony about how to get that bullet wound completely healed in under a couple hours. Then in season eight, he'll be the president. :p

16. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

At the very least, it'd buy Bill and Aaron enough time to jump a couple guards while Juma's people are distracted.

17. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I just caught this episode and overall not too bad. Great to see Aaron back in shooting action! Only problem was they already showed shooting in the white house in the preview for last week's episode so it was pretty apparent the target was the White House.

18. CaptainHawk1

CaptainHawk1 Commodore

You do understand that it's proper form to label inforamtion like this as SPOILER before you post it, right? :p

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's a bit of a waste of time to try and figure out 24's timeline, since it's wildly inconsistent, but Palmer did have the newly issued 9/11 pin as President and his administration had a Department of Homeland Security, so I think it's safe to say that Day 2 happened after 9/11. Day 1 being in 2002 has the most references in the 24 Timeline, but 2001 has a lot as well.

If you count the books, they do mention a President Harry Barnes who was POTUS before Day 1, and presumably on Day 1 as well, making him Palmer's predescessor. If Reagan's two terms equate to his real world terms, it goes like this:

Reagan: 1981-1989
    Unknown: 1989-1993/97
    Unknown: 1993/97-1998 (assassinated/incapacitated/resigned; Barnes VP)
    Barnes: 1998-2002
    Palmer: 2002-2006 (with VP Prescott filling in twice as Acting President ((actually 3 times if you count Palmer's poisoning))
    Keeler/Logan: 2006-2010
    Logan/Gardner: 2010-2014
    W. Palmer/Daniels: 2014-2018
    Taylor: 2018-

Or, if you don't count Barnes and say Palmer was elected in 2001, and 9/11 happened during his term, which prompts the new pin and the creation of Homeland Security which are seen after 9/11 in Day 2, we get:

Reagan: 1981-89
    Unknown: 1989-93/97 (GHW Bush?)
    Unknown: 1993/97-2001 (Clinton?)
    Palmer: 2001-2005
    Keeler/Logan: 2005-2009
    Logan/Gardner: 2009-2013
    W. Palmer/Daniels: 2013-2017
    Taylor: 2017-

If you measure out all the jumps in time, assuming that Day 1 started in the next election year after the show premiered in 2001, it's supposed to be around 2017 in Day 7.

http://wiw.org/~jess/archives/2008/06/27/24-timeline/

Of course, 9/11 and Reagan's terms may have occurred on entirely different dates within the 24-verse. Or 9/11 didn't happen at all and the pin and Homeland Security are unrelated.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

If season seven really is set in 2017, then the US government must give their employees ridiculously out of date computers with which to do their jobs. :)