World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

I don't have to put words into anyone's mouth; they pretty much say it themselves.

Because one needs a majority to be correct.

Because just wanting something to be marginally believable means everything has to be exactly like it is in the modern military. Sort of like everything would have to be completely redesigned to be "updated" or look exactly like it did in the '60s - there is no middle ground.

I never said you were, I just said that some people seem like they are so desperate for the film to be popular with the "mainstream" audience that they will not acknowledge even the smallest fault in it.

I can only speak for myself, but seeing what I have it's not that hard to make a determination about this film - one needs to see only so many things they don't like before a movie just becomes bad to them.

I'm not attacking anyone, so I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from accusing me of such. I make observations based on statements, and I comment on information about the movie. A difference of opinion is a difference of opinion, and it's very possible to have a debate and even share a little friendly ribbing without being adversarial.

No one is right or wrong when it comes to opinion, and I certainly feel secure enough in mine to not require consensus in order to validate it.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I really should get paid for stuff like that. :cool:

Well, I don't know about that, but since I've seen a few "Get a life" and "Go back to your mommy's basement" remarks here, directed at specific Posters, I don't think my mentioning the movie's obviously intended audience is worth a Warning.

Sure, I'm not averse to action if the substance is there, as in TWOK et cetera. But it will take more than a different ambiance to change the fact that we're not being shown the characters (or the setting) of Star Trek. Hopefully, the outcome will mirror that of the first Hulk movie, where they just abandoned it and started over. If future movies and series continue to take place in the primary Trek universe, this picture will become a lot easier to take, as a novelty or footnote, perhaps one of those supernumary universes we caught a glimpse of in "Parallels."

3. GulDucati

GulDucati Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Uh, no she's not. Anyways, comparing Insurrection to Nemesis is like comparing rubbish to crap.

4. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Sounds to me like redemption, tragedy, heroism, and other issues of "substance" will indeed be explored in this very movie--at the very least to the extent they were in TWOK.

5. protocida

protocida Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

6. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Re: Dark Horizons movie Review it's out.

"it simply can not be stated enough how effectively Abrams and his crew have revived and repositioned not just the franchise but the 'space opera' genre itself" is negative?

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Let's see, it leaves you "aching to see more Trek", sounds pretty good to me.

Although why I kept scanning after reading that Pine lacks "Shatner's humility" is beyond me... :lol:

8. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems to be saying it's fun but there are a few problems. I haven't seen anything that flat out says it was a complete disaster yet, so overall the reception's been rather positive, especially when compared with the previous entry.

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:confused:
    Granted it's the most critical review we've seen, but negative :confused:

I've already posted about this review in the no-spoilers thread by the way

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I hope these questions haven't been asked yet (I keep getting lost in the pissing match)...

1) How are the stardates different from what we're used to?

2) If Klingon ships are seen on the view-screen during the KM... what do they look like?

3) Do Spock and McCoy bicker?

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It's appropriately critical. That is, this is a light-weight story. It is burdened by all the things necessary in an "origins" story. The biggest problem with the story will probably be the "coincidences," and it's a criticism brought up in other reviews. Still, the review is quite positive. In the end, the most important thing this origins story does is put the right people in their seats (the crew in theirs, the audience in theirs). And, it leaves people wanting more.

Some truly scathing reviews will probably come out, and may make valid points. This isn't one of those reviews. Sure, it won't be a 5-star movie. Maybe Orci and Kurtzman will mature even more as writers by the next one. But nonetheless, this movie seems bound to succeed in relaunching the franchise. So, maybe the next one will be the 5-star show.

12. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's classified as 'fresh' on RT, so can't be that negative!

13. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

I respect the review and the reviewer, but I can pick holes in a number of things he says. As with any review.

He said this was going to be "amongst the best films of the summer."

Don't forget that part.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

OMG!! :lol: Hilarious!!

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

16. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a tad concerned about Nero now but I completely take his point that now that this film is out the way, the sequel could be a Dark Knight.

17. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If this is as "negative" as it gets then we are in for one hell of a treat this summer.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we were discussing this review earlier in the "Screening - No Spoilers" thread. It seems to me to be a very positive, encouraging review.

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

What's funny is months ago, Bana actually called his part a cameo.

I just wish we (fans and producers) could move away from this whole "out-Khaning Khan" thing. It's become "The Villain of the Week."

The mistake this time is not that Nero isn't as badass or intellectually deep as Khan. The mistake seems to be that not enough attention was paid to him in the first place. Unlike Khan, Nero was an ordinary guy. No blood on his hands. Given what's happened to him, why shouldn't we be allowed to feel some sympathy for this guy? And, why can't he listen to reason? What about any conflicted feelings? After all, if the comic book set-up holds, the Romulans are as culpable for their destruction as Vulcan or the Federation. Maybe moreso. Perhaps the last planet he should destroy is Romulus.
    But instead, it seems we get the galactic equivalent of someone going on a mindless shooting spree.

I'd like to see something different in the next movie. An antagonist more like Trelane in spirit. Or Harry Mudd. Or, conflict along the lines of "The Alternative Factor" or "The Immunity Syndrome". Even conflict like TVH or TMP. There has to be more out there than scenery-chewing, Shakespeare quoting, misplaced genius evil-doers, or good guys gone bad to vex our heroes.

If this movie can re-open the whole space-opera genre, then let's see Abrams use Trek to explore its possibilities to its fullest. That would be my hope.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet another positive review from the Australian premiere:

http://www.nukethefridge.com/index....y-review-star-trek&catid=11:reviews&Itemid=38