SW AU - A Glimmer of Hope

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by CaptainSarine, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It makes sense that the Sith know how to make use of Luke's anger and lust. That said, I hope that Luke's lifelong experience with con and scam artists will help him a little in resisting their real efforts. Palps, for all his power, is little more than a great con artist.

2. USS Avenger

USS Avenger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I had assumed that Palps had intended on taking either Luke as his apprentice or using him as bait for either Anakin or Leia. Who is Darth Vidious? That one threw me for a loop, very good. And put me in the category of those who thought Corellia was destroyed by the Death Star, (or is it a Peace Moon in this universe? :lol: ) Guess I was wrong on that count too.

I know it has been said before, but this is a very good story and universe you have created. I don't read most of the EU stuff set after Jedi because it doesn't feel like Star Wars. This feels like Star Wars, a twisted alternate Star Wars, but then again thats what you are going for. :bolian:

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow again...this keeps getting better and this is a very dark version of the Star Wars universe which makes sense since it's a universe under true Sith control. Almost a mirror universe feel to it. Darth Vidius! Was not expecting that at all.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I wasn't expecting this new apprentice either! Thought for sure it was going to be Luke! I can't wait to see who it turns out to be...

5. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another superb episode. I like the little details, like how the Sith use 'May the Force serve you' instead of the Jedi's 'May the Force be with you'.
    The reference to Mount Tantiss is intriguing too..

Oh, and Mara Jade in a bodysuit=:techman:

Jar Jar, you're a genius!:lol:

6. USS Avenger

I figured someone would catch that! Darths&Droids is one of the funniest things online, its part of my morning routine to check for updates, its addictive!

7. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response to all your kind comments, I was away for a few days.

A new chapter should be up tonight.

In the meantime...

Gojirob

Yeah, the Sith have great experience in using the darker emotions to draw people over to their side. I hadn't thought along the lines you've mentioned here, ie. Luke's experience with con artists... I would say that he has still lived quite a sheltered life because of his father's influence so he is more innocent than that. But we'll see how this plays out.

USS Avenger

A lot of people assumed that Luke was to be the new apprentice. However I will say that all the clues are there as to the identity of Darth Vidious.

Again, we'll see how things play out as to whether Corellia was destroyed by a Peace Moon :lol:.

And lastly, wow! Thanks so much for that last comment. Really made my day. Any author likes to hear that!

Admiral Young

Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying this dark twisted version of the Star Wars universe.

Nerys Ghemor

Glad I was able to surprise you. I do so enjoy throwing you all for a loop as to your expectations! :devil:

The Badger

Thanks! I'm glad you noted that little twist with the May the Force serve you. Seemed to make sense that in a universe where the Sith were more open, they would have some kind of alternate greeting and it ties in nicely with the Sith way of looking at the Force and the powers it gives them.

Mara Jade in a bodysuit? Yeah, gotta love that! :lol:

As to the back and forth with Avenger - What is Darths&Droids? I'll have to try and find it now... :)

Like I said, thanks again for all your comments. More coming tonight!

Joel

8. The Badger

Darths & Droids is an online comic. It is based on the idea that the Star Wars movies were never made. Instead, what we know as the SW story is (very loosely) played out in a Dungeons and Dragons style Role Playing Game.

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

I cast 'Summon Bigger Fish'!

9. CaptainSarine

Just gone on there - LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL! Why have I never heard of this before. Love it, absolutely love it!

10. Gojirob

11. CaptainSarine

Thanks for those Gojirob, I'll check them out in the morning! :)

Joel

12. CaptainSarine

Chapter 12

Anakin cursed as the hydrospanner slipped from his grasp. He went to catch it, leaning backwards and almost tumbling off the tiny shelf where he sat. Grabbing a hold of the nearest pipe at the last moment, he pulled himself back to a secure position, face pressed against the cold metal, and waited for the sound of metal on metal as the spanner hit the deck.

It never came.

He looked round to find the spanner spinning slowly just within reach. He leant out and picked it out of thin air, then glanced down.

Obi-wan grinned up at him. "You're welcome."

Anakin scowled and turned back to the hyperdrive. He had a fleeting urge to throw the spanner at his old friend, but he knew it would be pointless. He'll probably throw it back with the Force.

"What do you want, Ben?" They had both decided to keep up their pretense even when they were alone, just in case someone walked in.

"I came to see whether you were alright, after..."

After you told me my son is some kind of fulcrum of the Force? After I found out Master Yoda died making a prophecy about my family? After you revealed that my son and my daughter are...

No. He wouldn't go there. He concentrated on the drive instead. At least this is something I can fix. I can control.

"I'm fine."

"Listen, Anakin, about what I told you, you need to know that..."

The sound of running feet saved Anakin from hearing any more of what Ben had to say. Both men turned in time to see Greedo burst through the hanging bay door, out of breath, his eyes wild. He folded almost in half with his hands on his haunches, his whole body shaking.

"Captain… wants you… roof,” the Rodian said through wheezing breaths.

The roof? "What the hell for?"

"Imps."

XXX

Anakin ran up the stairs after the Rodian. His lungs burned with every step. His last bacta inhalation treatment was only a few days old, but if things carried on the way they had so far, he was going to have to schedule another one.

That was, of course, if they didn't get arrested in the next few minutes.

Imperials! On Tatooine? How was that even possible? Tatooine was protected under the Corellia Accords. He glanced back at Obi-wan, wondering whether his former master had something to do with it.

When they reached the rooftop, they found Ana and the bear-like Oath lying on their bellies, peering down at the streets below. Ana turned and motioned for them to drop down and join them. Anakin shared a look with Obi-wan - we're getting too old for this. Still, amidst much muffled groaning, they managed to drop to their hands and knees, and crawled over to where the crewman and captain waited.

"Took you long enough," Ana whispered.

"It was all the Rodian's fault," Anakin said.

"Slowed us down," Obi-wan quipped.

Ana glanced at them. "You two should start a double-act. Tour the galaxy."

"Maybe you'd like to start by entertaining those troops," Oath growled.

All three of them looked at one other sheepishly, then turned their attention to the streets below.

The familiar white armour of Clonetrooper uniforms filled the warren of Mos Espa. Anakin vaguely remembered hearing somewhere that Palpatine had changed the name to Stormtroopers. He snorted. Palptaine had always had a flair for the dramatic - Grand Army of the Republic, Emperor Palpatine, Stormtroopers... Shaking his head, Anakin returned his attention back to the oncoming troops.

"When did they arrive?"

"Two hours ago. They flew in on shuttles and seized the mayor's mansion. From what Ji-abi was able to find out, they're claiming the whole planet."

"The Alliance won't let that happen," Obi-wan said.

"You don't sound so sure of yourself."

He shrugged. "Well how could I be? I'm only an engineer."

Anakin glared at him, then turned to look at Ana. "What are we going to do?"

"We'll wait until they finish inspecting all the hangars and then we'll blow this joint.”

"But how are you going to stop them inspecting the Venture?"

"Why would I want to do that?" Ana seemed confused. "I'm in between jobs, so I don't have any contraband on board. I have a very elaborate false flight plan ready. There's nothing to worry about.

Anakin and Obi-wan shared a look. Ana frowned and looked from one to the other. "What? What aren't you telling me?"

"You can't let those imperials find us, Ana."

"Ani, what is going on?"

Anakin looked at Obi-wan, then sighed, nodding. Obi-wan reached into his cloak and slid out his lightsabre. He rolled it over to Ana. She looked at it for a moment, then picked it up between the tip of her forefinger and thumb, holding it as if it were a rattlesnake. She just stared at it for a moment, eyes wide with disbelief.

"Oh Goddess." She looked up at both of them. "It was true? All that about being a Jedi and Luke and... Oh Goddess, how could I have been so stupid?"

"Ana, listen I..."

"I don't want to hear it, Skywalker,” she snapped. “You lied to me. Worse, you've put my ship and my crew in danger."

"Well, what did you expect?” Anakin snarled back. “We tried telling you the truth, you didn't believe us. What were we supposed to do?"

"Showing me this would have been a good start.” She ran a shaking hand through her hair. “All this time? You've been keeping this from me?"

"I... I'm not that man anymore, Ana. I wanted to leave all of that behind."

"Well, you're doing a smack-up job of it."

"Not to interrupt your little spat," Obi-wan said, "but I think we have a problem."

Anakin followed Obi-wan's gaze. A squad of 'troopers were marching towards their hangar bay, led by two humans, a Gand... and a Hutt.

"Mysthu!" he cursed. He looked at Obi-wan. "They followed us."

"Friends of yours?" Ana asked as Obi-wan nodded. Anakin sighed.

"You could say that,” he said. “I almost killed one of them yesterday."

"Wonderful. You've really put me in the poodoo now, Ani." She shook her head. "Still, I guess the damage is already done. The question now is what do we do about it?"

Before Anakin could say anything, Obi-wan spoke up. "You get Anakin off this planet. I'll take care of them."

"I don't think so," Anakin started to say.

Obi-wan put a hand on his shoulder. "I brought this trouble to your doorstep, Ani. Let me do what I can. Your son is waiting for you."

Anakin blinked. The back of his eyes prickled. "You called me Ani. You never call me Ani."

Obi-wan smiled. "I'm not the same man, anymore, Anakin."

Anakin looked into his old master's eyes for a long moment, searching. Then he nodded. "I can see that."

"Sorry to interrupt this touching moment of male bonding but..." Ana inclined her head to the 'troopers who were drawing closer and closer.

"Alright," Obi-wan said, taking his lightsabre back from Ana and gathering his robes. "Get down to the ship and get it ready. I'll delay those troopers as long as I can."

Ana and the Chaol nodded and began to crawl backwards towards the door that led back down into the bay. Anakin, though, hesitated.

"You asked me for my help, Anakin. This is it."

He pressed something round and hard into Anakin's palm. When Anakin looked down, he found a small comm unit. He looked up at Obi-wan, confused.

"This will lead you to my contact once you reach the Run. He'll see you safe to Coruscant."

"Obi-wan, I --"

"Attention Bay 352. This city is now under the jurisdiction of the Galactic Empire. Prepare for inspection."

"Go," Obi-wan hissed and pushed his old friend away. Anakin stumbled to his feet, looked back at Obi-wan for a single second, then he ran.

XXX

Obi-wan watched Anakin vanish through the doorway. He allowed himself a thin smile - perhaps after this, he would be able to let go of the guilt he had carried with him every day since Anakin left Naboo. Perhaps the Force would finally give him some peace.

Mastering his thoughts, he closed his eyes for a few short seconds, allowing the Force to wash through and fill him. The reassuring bond gave him a measure of solace, the conviction that he was doing the right thing. Opening his eyes, he turned and leapt off the top of the hangar bay.

13. CaptainSarine

Obi-wan allowed the Force to hold him, slowing his fall and landing him softly on the street in front of the hangar bay. As his feet touched the ground, he ignited his lightsabre, staring through the haze of brilliant green light at the gathered imperials before him.

He stretched out with his feelings.

As was to be expected, the clonetroopers themselves were calm, though a hint of anticipation tinged their feelings. He sensed more intense emotions from the gang members who had accompanied them – fear, excitement, anger, menace. Pulsing through that maelstrom of differing emotions was an intense thirst for revenge. Revenge against him and Anakin for their humiliation.

Not that they were looking to face him directly, of course. They had all moved swiftly as possible to get out of the way the moment he had appeared, the Hutt in particular slithering out of sight with surprising speed. His whining tones now made themselves heard from behind the nearest wall.

"That's one of them, boss. He's one of them Jedi."

"Thank you,” the lead trooper said drily, eyeing Kenobi’s sabre. “A highly useful piece of information. If you hadn’t been here, we would never have known.”

Interesting, Kenobi thought with an inner smile. Looks like Fett’s personality is asserting itself in these new models.

Before he could pursue the thought, the trooper took a step towards him, hands raised. “We don't want any trouble, Master Jedi."

"Of course you don't," Obi-wan retorted with a tight smile. "That's why you've surrounded this hangar bay and have your blasters pointed at me."

"A precaution," the trooper said, “nothing more. Now, if you'll let us past, I'm sure we can discuss this unfortunate situation and come to some kind of a solution."

They negotiate as well. Still, he shook his head.

"Oh, you're not getting inside."

The leader’s whole stance changed, becoming more threatening. "I can assure you, Master Jedi, we will. You may have the Force, but you're only one man." His voice hardened. "And we’ve had lots of practice against Jedi. Now. Let us through."

The quip about practice against Jedi firmed Obi-wan’s resolve. He shifted his own stance to match the trooper’s. "No."

Obi-wan would have sworn the trooper hesitated. Then he shook his head. "Very well."

He must have had some kind of silent signalling system in his helmet, because the moment he finished speaking his troop went on the attack. Spreading out to cut off every exit, they began to fire their blasters. Obi-wan swept his lightsabre around in a wide arc, the Force allowing him to perfectly time his movement to deflect every single blaster bolt. Then he dropped back a step, allowing the troopers to move towards him.

Hurry up Anakin, he thought as the Force enfolded him and began to guide his movements. Began to guide him towards his inevitable death.

XXX

The sound of blaster fire echoed through the hangar bay.

Anakin sensed Ana glance at him from the other side of the hyperdrive. "I'm sure he'll be alright,” she said. “He’s a Jedi.”

Anakin found he couldn't meet her eyes. Gaze locked on the malfunctioning machine, he shook his head. "No. He won't be." But thanks to him, we will.

Oath shouted suddenly from the doorway where he was standing guard, a blaster rifle in both hands. "He's... He's holding them off! For now.” He looked over at them. “How much longer?"

Anakin reattached three wires, tightening them with a laserplaz welder. That should do it. He pushed the unit back into the hull. Or tried to, at least. It stuck. He pressed on it with all of his strength, but the damned thing wouldn't budge. The screws that held it together began to groan, but he just kept on pushing. He would make it work, if it was the last thing he did. He --

Ana's hand suddenly appeared on top of his. He looked up. She was smiling at him sadly. Without saying a word, she tipped her hand back and forth, rocking the unit slightly. After a few seconds, it slid easily into its socket. She didn’t let go of his hand, squeezing it until he met her eyes.

“Go,” she said.

"Wh- What?"

"Go help your friend."

He shook his head. "But what about --"

She smiled and squeezed his hand. "We'll get you out, don't worry."

He still hesitated. If he did this, he was putting all of their lives in danger not just his. He might be wasting Obi-wan's sacrifice. And he might be putting paid to his chance of saving Luke. At the end of the day, though, he realised he didn't really have a choice.

Leaning forward, he kissed Ana gently on the lips. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now move. And get your ass back here in one piece."

"I'll do my best."

He jumped down from the small shelf and ran across the hangar to the door. He stopped, catching his breath. Oath looked up at him in surprise, but before he could ask him what was going on, Ana called out from the ship’s hatch, ordering him to move his mangy butt over to the ship. The big hairy alien seemed to hesitate, then shook his head, grumbling about damned humans before heading towards the ship. Anakin watched him go, then turned to the door.

Peered round the doorframe, all he could see was a hail of light. The troopers fired round after round at Obi-wan, who knocked back every bolt with economy of motion. His every twitch was designed to maximise his effectiveness. The sight brought back memories of the Wars, of fighting side by side with Obi-wan against the separatists. Of course back then, the clones had been on their side.

That was a long time ago.

Pulling his lightsabre from his cloak, Anakin ignited it and waded into the fray.

XXX

A sweep of his lightsabre sawed off the barrel of the nearest stormtrooper’s blaster rifle. Obi-wan spun on both feet, his hands snapping down and around, catching three or four laser blasts and ricocheting them back at the oncoming ‘troopers. Coming back face to face with the group of soldiers, he reached out with the Force, giving two nearby clones a hard shove, pushing them back into their companions and sending the whole bunch tumbling into a mess of arms and legs.

His muscles ached, despite the Force flowing through him. All he wanted was to let his arms drop, let them take him. But he couldn't. Not until he was sure Anakin was safe.

As if the thought had summoned him, a green blade hissed into existence beside his. He glanced to the side and saw his old apprentice stood beside him, both feet planted firmly on the ground, both hands wrapped around the handgrip of his sabre. In the morning light, the scars on his face seemed like a patchwork of cobwebs against his skin. His eyes, though, were as flinty and hard as Tatooine cavastone.

"What are you doing?" Obi-wan snapped.

"Saving your behind again, master," Anakin replied. Though he was too concentrated to smile, Obi-wan was sure that inside, he was grinning at him with the same cocky smile he always wore.

Obi-wan felt a warning through the Force, and allowed it to guide his hands down and round, catching three blaster bolts in quick succession, sending them ricocheting back towards the troopers who had fired them. One hit the target, sending the trooper reeling backwards and down.

"You're supposed to be getting out of here."

"Don't worry, we will."

Anakin took a step forward as one of the troopers fired twice in quick succession. As he brought his hand up and over, though, his arm faltered and seemed to lock. His lightsabre stuck in a downward sloping position, leaving Anakin wide open. Obi-wan saw a flash of light and smoke, and then Anakin fell back.

"Anakin!"

Without thinking, without allowing his fear overwhelm him, Obi-wan stepped forward, lightsabre whirling as he caught half a dozen more shots. Reaching out with the Force, he tried to get a sense of Anakin, but despite his injury, his former apprentice was still masked from him. He forgoe his attempts, concentrating on protecting Anakin.

From behind, he heard the sound of repulsor lift engines firing. Moments later, the triangular shape of the Misbegotten Venture appeared from inside the docking bay. Some of the Imperial troops began to fire at the hovering ship, but whoever was in the gunnery tower began to lay down covering fire. A hatch in the bottom opened and Obi-wan saw a figure in the shadows, waving.

Batting back a flurry of laser blasts, Obi-wan reached out for a nearby dumpster. With a tremendous effort in the Force, he pulled the metal box towards him, dropping it in front of Anakin and himself. Falling into a crouch, he crawled over to Anakin's body. Disactivating his lightsabre, he tucked it into his belt. When he put his arms around Anakin, his old friend moaned slightly.

"Don't worry, Ani. I'll get your out of this."

Obi-wan gently moved his friend’s arms away. What he saw left him reeling. The laser blast had caught Anakin in the chest. Where he should have seen burned skin and shattered bone, blood pumping through inner organs, was a mess of wires and tubes, hidden beneath artificial flesh. He looked at Anakin’s tortured face.

Oh Ani! What did you do?

By now, the Venture was almost overhead. They're taking a hell of a risk for Anakin and me, he reminded himself. When these troops informed their commander that the Venture had fired on them, every ship in the Rim Territories was going to be gunning for them. For us.

Still, for now, their efforts were paying off.

Pushing away his fears, Obi-wan gathered Anakin into his arms, then reached out with the Force. He seized a hold of part of the hatch’s metal structure with his mind. I hope I'm still up to this, he thought. Using the Force to increase his strength and his hold on the hatch to guide him, he leapt.

He almost didn't make it. At the last moment, when he saw that he was going to undershoot the hatch, he reached out a hand and grabbed hold. The impact shook his whole body and almost rocked Anakin out of his other arm. Obi-wan grunted, sweat breaking out on his forehead.

"Give me your hand!"

Obi-wan looked up to find Oath stood on the hatch, reaching down for him. "Give me your hand, I'll pull you up."

Before Obi-wan could respond, a hail of laser blasts struck the inner hatch around Oath, forcing the Chaol back. Obi-wan heard him roar for back up. Moments later, he returned with the Rodian, Greedo, who was holding a Jawa’s rifle in his hands. Dropping to one knee, he started to lay down covering fire.

"Now, give me your hand!"

"No!" Obi-wan groaned through his teeth. "Anakin! Get... Anakin!"

The Chaol looked as if he were about to argue, but one look into Obi-wan's eyes convinced him not to bother. Dropping down on his belly, he reached down to the limp form in Obi-wan's arms, and seized him under the arms. With an animal roar, the huge alien lifted Anakin out of his arms and up onto the hatch.

Instead of grabbing a hold with his other hand, Obi-wan used the force to call his lightsabre into his hand. He ignited it. Blind to what was happening behind him, he followed the will of the Force, allowing it to guide his hand so as to deflect the incoming laser bolts.

"Jedi!"

Obi-wan looked up. Oath was there again. "Come on. Give me your hand."

Obi-wan felt the will of the Force nudging him. He knew what he was supposed to do. He smiled and shook his head. "I'm the one they want," he said. “If they get me, they’ll give you the time you need.” He knew it was true, as clearly as he knew that if he got aboard this ship, everything would be lost.

"Not after this, they won’t. They’ll be gunning for us. Now come on. Don't do anything stupid."

"Oath!" Ana's voice came over the intership. "What by the Goddess are you doing down there? We've got incoming."

"Come on Kenobi. Give me your hand."

"Tell Anakin I'm sorry," Obi-wan said, smiling sadly. For everything.

Then secure in the will of the Force, Obi-wan Kenobi let go and fell.

14. Gojirob

Great entry. CS, I meant to ask two things :

1 - Did Ani maintain a relationship with his step-brother?

2 - Did Obi-Wan age any better for not being in Tatooine's harsh climate for 20 years?

A subtlety that now also struck me : The Death Star was the weapon of a confirmed power. A power that was still fighting other powers might want a different kind of super-weapon--maybe one that blanketed an entire system with a tech-killing EM Pulse?

15. CaptainSarine

Hi Gojirob,

Thanks for the comment. Glad you enjoyed the chapter. To answer your questions:

1 - Not really. Although he tells himself that it is for their own good and he does not want anyone to link him with the Anakin Skywalker, it is mainly because he has no real reason to. Beyond his mother, he has nothing in common with these people.

2 - I pictured my Obi-wan as Alec Guiness, although a slightly fitter, leaner, meaner Alec Guiness. So yes, I guess he has aged slightly better, mainly from being more active than the Obi-wan who lived as a hermit.

That's a good idea for a weapon for this Empire. Of course, I've never said that there was a Death Star in this universe. Or any major weapon... So... :)

Thanks again for the comment!

Joel

16. USS Avenger

Another good chapter. Poor Obi-wan, will he now become more powerful than we can possibly imagine?

17. Gojirob

1 - I always pictured, based on epsiodes 2 and 4, that there must have been a time, perhaps Krieg's funeral, wherein Owen tried to talk Ani into just staying on with them. Obi-Wan, who is with him, fights against this, even though a war-weary Ani deeply considers it. Maybe an ep of TCW will show this.

2 - I see him as he was in Bridge On The River Kwai, maybe a bit older.

18. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Another thing I was wondering about...I saw a reference earlier to Anakin wearing some sort of breathing mask--in another scene, though he kisses Leia without any issues. Am I right that this is something he uses sporadically like an inhaler? And am I right that Anakin's body is just as damaged as it was in Revenge of the Sith, but that he was rebuilt in a much "kinder" manner than Palpatine did it?

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is by far my favourite thing on the internet right now CS! Another stellar entry...and maybe it's my fondness for Star Wars The Clone Wars but I keep picturing and hearing Ewan McGregor as old Obi-Wan now. Since this is an alternate universe, and we know that this Obi-Wan has led a different life the past twenty years than his normal 'verse counterpart he hasn't aged as harsh as our Ben did. I am very much enjoying their banter together. You've taken what Lucas intended their relationship be like (we saw glimpses of it in Attack of the Clones and the first half of Revenge of the Sith) but have given them much better dialouge. I liked the "You never called me Ani" line. Also liked Anakin's scoffing of Palpatine's grandoise naming of things.

I still like my Sun Crusher suggestion...why destroy entire planets...when you can take out whole systems? You could give that quote to Moff Tarkin if you like lol.

20. The Badger

Another enthralling chapter! Well done.