STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna go see it a third time tomorrow.

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I'm definitely going to go see it again. More than once. I want this film to succeed.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

We need to hope overseas makes it to about $300m to keep Star Trek a moderate success to make up for what is likely to be a very disappointing North American $$ number.

If I was in charge of Paramount picking the right date is critical. Don't sandwich Trek in between 2 or 3 box office behemoths (Iron Man 3, FF6, TH3) because people are going to skip Trek in favour of the others. Make sure Trek gets two or three weeks to itself. March or April would be better. Paramount, hire me please :)

4. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably not the target audience though... I doubt that the people who make superhero movies a huge success really know the villains... I had never heard of any of the Spiderman villains for example... They're just not that well known if you don't breath comics, and many Trek villains are not well known (or not known AT ALL) to non-trekkies...

5. Flake

Yup, I have no clue who the comic book movie villains are unless they have been done in an older comic book movie. I don't read comics. I have no idea if the movie I am watching is true to the comics or not, but I suspect they rarely are true to comic book canon.

Trekkies will go regardless of the villain, messing with the villain wont change the $

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Cumberbitches are failing us. IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT THEY KILLED STAR TREK.

7. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The one thing that worries me now is that the budget for Trek XIII will be reduced when STID fails to be a huge success...

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

You should spoiler tag that, since this topic has no spoiler warning.:vulcan:

9. Flake

Still the overseas numbers to come in yet, that might save us.

I think even if the budget goes down it just means the writers and directors need to step up their game. We have had our fair share of Star Trek episodes that had no budget yet were a success. The budget will still be big. Abrams shot outdoors with green screen, perhaps they will have to stay indoors this time and have one or two less FX shots. Maybe shooting in the UK or Australia will reduce the budget. etc.

Abrams used IMAX cameras, maybe that is expensive, they can stick to 35mm or even digital cameras next time. Maybe that saves $$$

Changed it, forgot about that ! :)

10. Quinton O'Connor

We still lack a firm grip on domestics too.

11. Flake

Popped in hsx.com forums and the rollercoaster ride continues:

12. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

OK, this is just getting too bizarre now! As others have suggested, let's wait until at least Sunday night before calling it.

13. Quinton O'Connor

Shall we begin?

14. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

what will it be?

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The actual Friday numbers will be coming out in about 6 hours. Not much longer to wait.:borg:

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

LOL, and here I thought after the pre-movie hype and actually, finally seeing it, the fun would be over.

Go Star Trek!!

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One can really depend on you guys to be calm, reassuring and reasonable during a crisis.:lol:

This tracking business, which I admittedly know nothing about :p, looks like BS. Up and down, up and down with each new post and report.

18. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe it was a mistake putting the movie so close to Iron Man 3 and Fast and Furious. I just hope that the world-wide take is enough to warrant a third movie in 2016! Now I'm feeling a bit depressed!

19. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Frankly I think this falls squarely on the shoulders of Paramount. They should have gone with a mid/late April release to give the film a full two weeks of box office breathing room. May is simply too crowded this year with Iron Man III, Gatsby (unexpectedly), Hangover III, Fast and Furious 6 (as much as I hate to say it)

20. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't really matter who is at fault at this point, because Star Trek may be dead as a franchise.