Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Allyn Gibson, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't. That happened in issue #1 of AVX Vs. Iron Man channeled Jupiter's magnetic field (thanks to satellites Stark Enterprises had placed there for exactly that purpose) to overload Magneto and fry him.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did like that Magneto recognized Jupiter, as if he's spent some time just cruising about the Solar System.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Iron Man/Magneto confrontation was much better and funnier in the first issue of Magneto: I Am Not A Hero mini-series. Tony is wearing plastic armour basically, which Erik notes right away, and then proceeds to dress Stark down by making him feel extremely insignificant. It was a pretty great moment. The fight book as stated before is absolutely pointless and doesn't even seem fun.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Just a few thoughts on this weeks crossovers--

Avengers Academy 33 finishes this books direct connection to AvX and I will be glad to see the book return to its own story. The conclusion of the Sentinel story was cliched and mostly "meh". I usually love AA, but this arc fell flat. "Final Exam" begins next issue.

In Uncanny X-Men 16, the Phoenix Five take on Mr. Sinister... and get their asses handed to them. So then, why didn't the Phoenix abandon them? Especially since Sinister fashioned a half-dozen Jean Grey clones (or "Madelyne's") that the Phoenix could have easily migrated to.

Fantastic Four 608 isn't an AvX crossover as such, but it did have a direct link to this week's issue. The Panther God Bast gve T'Challa a vision of Wakanda's future-- including the Phoenix force and the flood Namor brought. All well and good, except for the fact that T'Challa was a voice of moderation regarding the Phoenix Five. Given T'Challa had been given this vision, you would think that he would have been more in favor of action. *sigh* Just yet characterization another discrepancy, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Avengers Academy 33 (it's my favorite title) and liked Gage's take on Phoenix Emma although I didn't buy for a second that Quicksilver could pull a fast one on her.

I enjoyed Uncanny as well but you brought up a great point about why the Phoenix didn't abandon the Five who Sinister had beaten.

I thought Avengers vs X-Men #8 was a piece of shit. Leave it to Bendis to completely drag down an event and make the issue worse than the first five were.

Thor has been completely humiuliated and bitched out during this entire event.

6. Allyn Gibson

Out today, Avengers Vs. X-Men #9 from Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert:

In two words, Good stuff!

Aaron's script captures the human cost of the struggle well. Spider-Man's natural cheer comes up against the horror of the X-Men's post-Phoenix world. (And you'll see exactly how horrific that world is.) And there's a shocking scene of divine retribution against an ordinary person.

There are some really nice touches in the story. Spidey bonding with Hope, Storm's decision, the conversation between Scott and Emma, and Spidey's ultimate decision in the X-Men's prison.

Definite upswing in quality from the earlier issues.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Is Ms. Marvel in it at all?

I'm trying to figure out the timeline of this whole thing, since I just picked up Captain Marvel last week. And that issue had Carol fighting alongside Captain America(!) who you think would be too busy with the X-Men to go after Absorbing Man with Carol, lol.

8. Allyn Gibson

Not that I recall, no.

That way lies madness, from what I understand. AVX isn't consistent with its own tie-ins, so it's unlikely that it's going to mesh with books that aren't connected the the event.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ms. Marvel can be seen in the issue.

After a fight with Rogue in X-Men: Legacy, Magik put Ms. Marvel in the "limbo on Earth" prison. She's briefly seen in this issue of AvX as one of the prisoners.

10. Admiral_Young

So they actually followed up on one of their tie-in issues? Wow. LOL Have been looking forward to this issue for sometime now.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ The dynamic between Hope and Spidey was established in New Avengers, so there is that as well.

12. Admiral_Young

Oh I knew about Hope and Spidey from reading the preview.

13. Guy Gardener

In the first Secret War, Spier-Man took on all the X-men Single handed, and won.

Did not know who they were fucking with.

In Amazing 270 something he took down a herald of Galactus just with the power of Punching, and he wasn't winded or bloody or desperate enough to drop a building on him or nothing, Firelord vs Spider-Man and Pete won just by getting hit in the face 10 thousand times less than the other guy.

That's smart.

He should do that all the time.

Recently, he used his molecular adhesive powers to pull Iron Mans face plate off with his finger tips and then punch Stark in his naked face.

but this?

Woah!

The Yoko Factor?

Wow, that's some poisonous shit to unload on even crazy gods with a doomsday fetish, even crazy RUSSIAN gods with a doomsday fetish.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. Admiral_Young

Just Spectacular (pun intended). Jason Aaron writes Peter with the perfect balance, and gives him his Avenger moment. I'm guessing that it is going to come down to Scott and Emma in the finale. Emma questioning herself now, and Scott still not really caring about anything except his own agenda (good or bad). The art was great. This has got better since Hickman's issue. I guess that it is it for Ororo and T'Challa who never really got a chance to be married after their much publicized marriage. Oh well.

15. Guy Gardener

The unit of measurement for an embarrassing failed celebrity marriage is the Kardashian.

72 days.

September 2006 to November 2012

2160(ish) days

Which is 30 Kardashians.

Of course real life time compared to comicbook time are inpropotional, and could bring that number down to 3 or less kardashians considering they got married during the preamble of the Civil War.

I still believe that George Bush has brass ones for going to that wedding when he knew that Cap would be there.

LMD?

16. Allyn Gibson

Out today, Avengers Vs. X-Men #10.
    I guess, in a vague kind of way, that's what happens in this issue. Cyclops found the Avengers at the end of issue #9, and in this issue Cyke has a throwdown with several different Avengers on his way to making an attempt at taking Hope back while her powers really start to develop. Meanwhile, Professor X makes a decision, and things are not good for the X-Men left alone in Utopia with Emma Frost...

This issue was perhaps the quickest read of the entire series thus far. There's not a lot of depth to it, and I didn't feel engaged by it. Everything I described above it handles in a straightforward fashion. What this issue feels like, to me, is a lot of piece moving to get elements in place for the final act over the next two issues. Characterizations are all over the map, and the dialogue, especially's Cyclops', doesn't always ring true.

At this point, there are only two Phoenix-powered mutants left -- Scott and Emma. I think Emma will turn on Scott. After this issue and the smackdown he receives, he will go to Emma for assistance in retrieving Hope, but Emma will see, not entirely incorrectly, that there's no longer any reason for Hope as a Phoenix host, not when Emma has the power. How that dynamic will play out over the next two issues remains to be seen. Maybe Captain America and Professor X forming a joint X-Men/Avengers force to try and stop the Phoenix Two while they slug it out between each other?

The next (and penultimate) issue isn't out for four weeks.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'll agree and disagree. Yes it was a quick read, but I found it hugely enjoyable, except for seeing Hawkeye back, I suppose that got mentioned in one of the other titles.

One thing that this book showed me though, is that I really wish there wasn't so many characters. Whenever Scarlet Witch shows up I always go: "Oh yeah, she's in this..." same with Thor and even Spidey (though he did get to be front and center last issue).

Sucks we gotta wait four weeks, but there are only two issues left, so I'll just pretend it's them stretching out the suspense.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've really been enjoying this series. Definitely much better than Fear Itself! Really engrossing story with lots of big shifts and events. At this point I consider Cyclops and Emma to be pretty much evil and need to be killed...

19. Guy Gardener

(The title) Avengers (29 came out today) is pissing me off.

it's so should have come out a couple months ago.

Namor is still a phoenix and what's this bullshit about no body being concerned about telepaths till Spiderwoman beings it up?

The Phoenix 5 are each a thousand times more powerful than little Rachel Grey.

Has Walt stopped caring or is his inker right shit?

20. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly I'm waiting for the trades on this one - maybe it'll read better when it's in order more or less - I dunno. I'm looking more forward to Marvel NOW than even bothering to worry about this storyline. Obviously we know that most of the heavy hitters will still be around so... meh.

In a way I'm kind of glad Marvel's sort of doing a "not a reboot" tweak to the Marvel U. Frankly after all the Fear Itself BS, I think it was time for things to change a bit and this whole mutants are persecuted 'Wah wah' is getting old. And I would be happy if they never said "oh you have super villains like Magneto and Emma Frost hanging around."

First. Emma Frost hasn't been a "super villain" since like the mid 90s at least. She's been a heroic - if a little naughty - character since the whole Generation X series which was a frickin' loooong time ago. I mean well over 20 years. It always bristled me a bit when they kept bringing that up. Did they completely forget the Massachusetts Academy that she and Banshee ran for quite a long time? Or that she's been basically an X-Man since that series folded? Even before she and Scott started doing the horizontal rumba?

As for Mags - eh I like that he's finally mellowed somewhat. He's been the X-Men's primary villain for over 50 years. It's kinda time to get a new antagonist.

But this whole series has been a rash of poor characterizations, people acting way out of how they should be. Plus the fact that even its own continuity is kinda loose is just annoying.

Really Marvel NOW! Is probably the best thing to come of it, gets some of the creative teams that have been on titles so long that they really ran out of ideas - I mean I loved the early Matt Fraction Iron Man work - but lately it's like he's beating the whole "Tony Alcoholic" thing waaaay too much. He had one drink during Fear Itself and its defining like a year's worth of comics. Enough already! My gosh, I know how fragile some former alcoholics can be, but we're talking about a character that "Beat" his addiction in the span of one issue and moved on. That's WHY Tony Stark is really a heroic character, he knows he has flaws and foibles and issues, but he doesn't let them dominate his life.

Same with Emma Frost - sheesh she's been good for 20 years, give her a friggin' break. And honestly even with the power of the Phoenix I've got a feeling in the final act she'll give it up "Because it's giving me an awful bloody headache."