Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Thete, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

Starfleet uniforms are some of my favourite pieces of costumery in television or film - but which do you guys think was the best look?

I know we'll have had this thread many times prior, but I'm new here and I want to gauge some opinion.

For me, I think my favourite is the TNG uniform from Season 3 and onwards. It's very striking and looks very good. Close second is the DS9 and VOY uniforms tied with the TOS uniforms which I adore.

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

For me it was the TNG movie uniforms and second the TOS movie uniforms

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The First Contact/late DS9 uniforms for me.

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Easily the First Contact era movie uniforms. They made the Federation look more profossional than the bright primary colors in TNG and in TOS. I also like the TOS movie era uniforms from TWOK on. They looked great but I would hate to have to put that on everyday as they looked somewhat cumbersome.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise uniforms from the 2009 reboot. TOS + big budget + full length pants = winner.

If it weren't for nostalgia clouding my judgement, I'd go for the realistic and practical uniforms worn in Star Trek: Enterprise.

I've never been a fan of any of the TNG TV uniforms. I used to like the First Contact ones, and they looked cool in the movies, but I quickly grew bored of them in DS9.

The Wrath of Khan uniforms look like good dress costumes, but seen impractical for day-to-day wear. Plus they make everyone look like Space Mounties.

All-time worst has to be the alt-future ones seen in "All Good Things," "The Visitor," "Endgame" etc.

6. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surprised to see majority like the late DS9/TNG movie uniform... to be it's rather dull.

My fave is the TNG Season 3-7 unfirom as well Thete.

7. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TWOK and DS9v2 for me.

8. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

TNG for me.

I didn't care for the DS9 ones with the zipper. It always seemed like people just had them unzipped way too low. May be my military mind that's ingrained with uniformity, but that always bugged me.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm another fan of the TNG movie uniforms. They just looked "smarter" to me than the others, and more "taking business seriously-ish."

A few different variations of this would have been nice, too.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. 2009 reboot and TWOK are my best.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

You have to admit, these are stylish.

:)

12. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

The movie uniforms from ST II - VI are my favorites, but I did like Kirk's wrap-around shirt from the series. And . . . the ladies mini's, of course!

13. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's a question...

Why is it that in 100 years starfleet uniforms went from

Yellow = Command and Red = Engineering/Security to

Red = Command and Yellow = Engineering/Security?

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Things change.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because Patrick Stewart looked better in red than yellow.

16. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

The guys looked ok in these but the girls really struck me in every frame. Shmexy

17. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chalk me up as another one who doesn't like them. I like the bright primary colors of TOS and TNG (and NuTrek of course). I think that's a key component in the 'Star Trek look'. Red, Blue, Yellowish-Green. It's damn iconic, and I was never sold on those terrible early-DS9/VOY variants with the colors inverted. And even less so the First Contact ones, which hid the colors as mere undershirts beneath bland black-and-gray. Ick. :vulcan:

I'm half-and-half on the TWOK uniforms. I recognise their beauty, but also think they're horribly overstylized for their (practical) applications. It says a lot that some of the later TOS movies saw the crew wearing 'casual' variants for actual day-to-day use. On some level, I'd even go as far as to say the sweaters worn by the landing party in The Final Frontier are preferable to the 'Mounties In Spaaaaaace!' look. ;)

18. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

TOS uniforms were pretty good, fairly practical aside from the miniskirts, but whatever.

TMP uniforms were a bit too dressy.

TWOK - TUC all seemed too 'busy', there was just too much going on; I didn't buy them as practical pieces of attire.

TNG S1 + 2 looked like spandex pajamas. The design was OK overall but the piping and the overall pajama-ness was irritating.

TNG S3 onwards were pretty good, they looked striking without being too loud and plausibly functional. I especially like Picard's grey 'smoking jacket' deal.

DS9's colour inversion deal looked great in mid-shots but full length seemed a bit boiler-suitesque. I assume they experimented with some color at the top of the pants but didn't find it looked good or something.

The switch to grey with coloured undershirt was probably the most plausible overall as an actual uniform. Slightly dull when you look at each shot, but understandable thematically, as the show was taking a darker turn and depicting a major conflict. It sort of felt right.

I don't recall much about Voyager.

I liked Enterprise's uniforms, even though they looked full-on like boiler-suits. I appreciated the way they didn't try to emulate at all anything we'd seen before, it seemed a bold and appropriate choice. As with the late-DS9 uniforms it seemed to mesh well with the concept of the show - early doors, things not working perfectly, all kinds of frills we're used to just not existing yet, that kind of thing. T'Pol's early uniform was nice but a bit silly. Not sure what's so logical about skintight jumpsuits. Her later uniform was less titillating but more plausible.

^I never would have thought I had such strong and lengthy opinions on the uniforms before. I never really thought about it.