Orci says ST series talk "getting real"

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RAMA, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And convinces them why it's a good idea to further devalue their back catalog of episodes.

2. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Game of Thrones has an even higher budget than that, and they seem to get along fine on HBO. Maybe Showtime doesn't get as many viewers though? I don't think any Star Trek show really would.

Even the Star Wars live action show planned was supposed to have a budget of 2-4 million per episode, but last I heard they were having financial troubles since their target market was general cable.

I'm guessing that Star Trek could get by on 2 mil or even less, but the question is if the studio wants to sink down the quality to match the target audience. That was part of the reason for Enterprise's cancellation, that Paramount didn't want to make anything look budgeted.

But this is all talk for a live action show. An animated show would probably cost less, although I'm not sure I'd prefer it.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would it devalue its back catalog as opposed to creating a new audience for old episodes?

4. BillJ

There are seven hundred episodes you add another series and that one less slot for something in the back catalog to air in down the road.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^I was just think the same Temis, a new show might re-vitalise interest in the older shows. Leading to possible DVD/BR sales and network interest in running older shows.

6. BillJ

Food for thought...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47647...pirates-could-end-golden-age-tv/#.UAb-7mt5mSM

7. Temis the Vorta

The new series would air on Showtime or maybe Netflix where the reruns don't air anyway, no competition there. On Netflix, time slots are moot. And on other channels why couldn't the new series and reruns complement each other, by running back to back, enhancing the ratings for both? And a new series would be a great merchandising boost in general by raising public awareness, just as the movies have done.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, how does one go about measuring Piracy?

9. BillJ

I'm guessing one method is to gauge the number of times a show is downloaded on file-sharing services.

10. Temis the Vorta

There's a site that tracks piracy stats like the neilsens, forget what it is, but easy to google. Movies and TV shows are pirated more or less in proportion to their general popularity but sci if gets hit harder, which means piracy is inhibiting sci if more than other genres.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure you could get a new live action series for under 3 million, the biggest factor is your payroll (specifically the cast) and what CGI house is used (though CBS has their own). Sets are another big consideration, how much physical vs virtual. Also I would only do 13 episode seasons (13 x 3 mil = 39 mill), unless the show is a hit and warrants more episodes.

Star Trek does not really belong being broadcast on CBS given there current model, however, consider that CBS is winding down there CSI an NCIS franchises so they may have room to try some different things.

Lastly, also consider that Star Trek is popular internationaly, so CBS can offset a lot of costs by licensing 'second run' options to various foreign networks, these tactics have helped BSG and Doctor Who. Germany alone has a huge fan base. Star Trek has a huge advantage here vs. any other show, CBS would be smart to work on that angle to offset costs.

A Star Trek series can work, the next movie will be a test of continued popularity. Reminds a little of how the success of Star Trek 4 helped get TNG going.

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Even though CBS owns Trek, the odds of a Trek series actually airing on CBS is about zero. Aside from the decades-long argument that science-fiction (in particular, spaceship-based) is too expensive and too difficult to produce, Trek is just one of many properties CBS acquired from what was formerly Paramount Television. You're more likely to see a revival of something cheaper and easier to produce like The Beverly Hillbillies or Laverne & Shirley on CBS rather than a Star Trek series.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The argument that CBS has to approve a series doesnt really matter one bit, as we've seen all it takes is some of the movie's "people" talking to the "tv people". It's pretty simple..once there is an opening, it'll take what I've claimed before..."known" producers selling the show to the studio, and with a second ST movie as likely success, they won't need much convincing...

I predicted a series after 3 JJ movies, but hey, looks like it could be after 2.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Actually, it's the only thing that matters. Abrams himself can pitch a new Star Trek series, but if CBS isn't interested in doing one, then it's not going anywhere.

15. Temis the Vorta

CBS's audience simply isn't the sci if crowd and of all the broadcast nets, it has the highest ratings and therefore highest standards for a new show to have to achieve. I don't want Star Trek to be doomed from the start by airing on CBS, where the audience isn't interested and it needs 11 million just to keep from being cancelled.

And that's assuming it makes its way through the pilot process. This past year, CBS only picked up what, two drama? NBC and ABC picked up many more. CBS's eternally successful lineup makes it harder for any series to get a green light there.
    If the wheels started shortly after the BO for the second movie comes in strong, then the show might not even be ready to go till the third movie premieres, assuming they don't have another inordinately long wait. Two years is more sensible.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Please sir, I want some more."

17. Temis the Vorta

Frankenstein brand new iPad does weird things.

Like that! I said frakken not Frankenstein. :rommie:

18. BillJ

The iPad autocorrect does some weird things, I know from experience. :techman:

19. BillJ

I maybe mistaken...

But don't most of these guys have development deals with various networks? None being CBS?

Would they even be allowed to develop/run shows for companies outside those contracts?

Lindelof has a deal with Warner Bros. TV.

Orci/Kurtzman are still under a development deal with Fox, but that expires in roughly a year.

Edit: According to this site, they just extended it another three years.

http://io9.com/5463506/orci-and-kurtzman-sign-three+year-fox-tv-deal

Funny thing though, in the TrekMovie interview Orci seems to say that he thinks an animated series is the best way to go...

TrekMovie.com: But do you agree with me that an animated series is…

Roberto Orci: Yes. It is less cannibalizing. I would like to see an animated series the most. When I think about it, it is the most different than what we are doing and still in the most in line with it. So I would like to see an animated series.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well "after 2" covers a lot of territory...the movie comes out in 2013, then we wouldnt expect one for about 3 years, so we're talking 2014-2016 for a new show.