What is NBC thinking????

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Keith1701, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, guess that would make sense if they are building him something new. And you do mean not moving it beyond moving it to NY ;)

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Fallon has already been in NYC, he's moving across the hall. That isn't moving anything besides where a TV title takes place.

3. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally caught Leno's last episode on the NBC website. Couldn't think of a more fitting end than a bunch of confused dimwits in the audience trying to clap and sing along to "Friends in Low Places" without a sense of rhythm and without knowing the lyrics. And so the chin sails into the west. Good riddance.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably won't get a lot of agreement, but I wish NBC would have decided to put Carson Daly in Leno's old spot, without changing his format.

Many of you likely haven't seen the show, but it has some of the best music and laid back interviews.

Wishful thinking.

:)

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

But seriously The Voice is a primetime show. ;)

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I thought Jimmy Fallon seemed quite relaxed and comfy on his new show at his new hour. Staying in completely familiar surroundings had to help with the transition.

The bit about the "friend" who bet him $100 was pretty funny. Although I didn't recognize her, I read that Tina Fey was one of the "friends". Lady Gaga has a tight littl body. The studio really is impressive.

Looked like Questlove got a haircut. You know the Roots are going to remain on a tight rein with respect to the music they use to play guests on.

I missed Seth Myers' debut on Late Night. Have to DVR it tonight.

Nice start for Fallon. Now that Jay is finally gone I can watch the Tonight show again.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. I thought it was fresh and fun. Or at least has the potential to be once they settle in. I liked the set and the performance by U2 on the roof was breathtakingly beautiful. I liked how he introduced himself and told the audience a bit about his life rather than assume everyone knew who he was.

8. Hopeful Cynic

Hopeful Cynic Ensign Red Shirt

Jay Leno hasn't been funny since 1994 and ratings aren't everything? I still don't know why they brought his sad ass back and fired Conan who is 12 times the comedian Leno will ever be.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Late Night doesn't begin until next Monday, after the Olympics are over with.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I need to get used to it but I liked the Late Night look better, the look and color seemed richer and more natural. The set seemed small to me compared to Leno's and even seemed cramped from his Late Night set.

[​IMG]

Only one night in but despite the bit with Will Smith it does seem toned down from Late Night. I'm curious if that will keep as I mentioned earlier Dave and Conan had done the same before him moving to 11:30.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

It's been a long time since I watched Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. What are some of the bits he'll probably not be taking with him?

I know he used to bring audience members onstage to play silly games, and he also used to play beer pong with his guests.

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Congrats to Fallon on the new show but I wasn't overly impressed. The Tonight Show just doesn't feel as big anymore. Will it grow on me? Who knows. I knew it would be toned down. That wasn't a surprise.

I wonder if U2 got vertigo when they did their song on top of the building.

13. Mr. Adventure

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/games/?p=2
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Late_Night_with_Jimmy_Fallon_sketches

Yeah, a lot of the frat and parlor games come to mind. Again it's only one episode so far and maybe not eliminated entirely but downplayed somewhat. Letterman did the same, we no longer have the velcro wall, dropping things off a three story tower, climbing into a giant bowl of water wearing an alka seltzer suit and so on.

14. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Fallon was better on the Tonight Show than his Late Night show, at least so far as one episode can show you. The beer pong with celebs crap doesn't really fly with me though, nor really do any of the other regular bits I've seen. Definitely more watchable than Leno, which wasn't even a given considering how little I thought of Jimmy Fallon in the few episodes of Late Night that I've caught. I don't think he is ever going to displace Conan for my late night loyalties or anything but I might be able to upgrade my opinion of Fallon from negative to at least neutral.

I think his choice of guests for his first episode was a little weak. Will Smith? U2? That would be a pretty hot show if half of it took place in 1987 and the other in 1997.

I'm really interested to see how Seth Meyers does. Fred Armisen is his band leader and drummer? :lol: Really two of the better talents from more recent SNL. I think that has a chance to be really good.

15. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Fallon still comes across as someone who will burst into tears if you don't laugh..ugh.

His set also looks tiny, the band is jammed against the wall.

16. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate Jay Leno. Never liked him, but after he didn't do the honorable thing and tell NBC to go scratch when they didn't like how Conan was performing and wanted to put him back, that was it. The man could have done the noble thing and instead he did what he wanted and, once again, screwed someone with far more talent than himself out of a job that was rightfully theirs.

Leno is a low-brow comic and never was worthy of the show or the legacy left by Johnny Carson. Glad he's finally gone. Don't know how Fallon will fair, never watched him either. But Leno is an ass and I hope we never hear from him again.

17. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

The stage is too small, but I believe it's the same studio the show started on back in the day, and that is why they're using it. It's the original studio and so was built smaller. I think though that it'll be changed within a year or so, it is far too small.

18. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting if that's true about it being the original studio. I hope they use that as some marketing leverage. Missed the first episode, and I think they should have waited until after the Olympics. Caught his intro on Youtube, and it seems to me like this is a theatre stage vs a full-on studio stage. The studio in California was much bigger, but the set was still quite a bit smaller, with the cameras making it look bigger. Difficult sometimes to get an impression of how big a set is while seeing it on TV. But this set definitely looks smaller, there's no doubt about it. On the other hand, there's less travel for the cameras, though it must be cramped too.

The one thing I really liked that Leno did was the Jaywalking. Hope Fallon does something similar, interacting with people on the streets, even if it's in doing something different.

19. Mr. Adventure

I'm trying to remember, I don't think Fallon has ever done "man on the street" type segments.

20. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

It was even funnier before he stole it (Jaywalking).