Having the Enterprise built on Earth was unbelievable enough but this

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by xvicente, Jul 10, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

ST2009 was hard to swallow for many because of that scene of the Enterprise under construction.

Now it's a f$%&ing submarine!? come ON!!!!!!

Space ships don't belong in the atmosphere, much, much less underwater.

I understand suspension of disbelief, but this require not suspension but banning of disbelief, kicking and shouting it out of one's mind.

The only spaceship ever in Star Trek to hit water (The Klingon ship in STIV - The One with The Whales) simply sank.

Cool fx though.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: Having the Enterprise built on Earth was unbelievable enough but t

We don't know how well it would've handled water if it hadn't crashed into the bay because it had no power.

This topic has been pretty thoroughly dissected and starships have been seen to have prevailed in far worse conditions. See: The Immunity Syndrome

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, you're saying the stress put on a hull by being underwater far outweighs the stress on a hull fighting to flee a black hole, or travelling through Fluidic Space, or submerging in S3 Enterprise, flying into Coronas, or just simply flying at high warp...? Seriously, how can being underwater put more stress on a Hull than a Black hole or flying into a Sun's Corona?

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

What happened to that? :wtf:

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone needs to re-post that infographic of all the similar things the Enterprise has done prior to this. Was it a creation of Locutus of Bored?

An underwater Enterprise is nothing. The Enterprise built on Earth is nothing. Watch "Parallels" and see a Galaxy-class starship being built on the surface of Mars.

6. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I don't know of those events and I'm not sure how those compare with submersion. Not saying that it is unreasonable to do so.

But I know the canonic, well documented history of Kruge's spaceship: for starters, it took two torpedoes (the same amount of firepower that ripped Reliant's engine off), maybe got some punishment from being near the explosions of the Enterprise and the Genesis Planet (alright, maybe not), then time-warped 6 centuries (roundtrip) near the Sun (now we are talking about stress) at almost warp 10 (which was so redline that Scotty had to refill the dilithium crystals for the return leg), got neutralized by the probe on return--

-- and still, nothing indicated by then that it wouldn't keep on ticking.

THEN it hit water and promptly went glub glub glub. So spaceships can take anything except being submerged.

If I were to dive (got it? "dive" :rofl:) into treknology, those warp engines are said to collect hydrogen from space through those front globes, and the average density of gas in the Galaxy is of only one atom per cubic centimeter. In other words they are awesome suckers. How can that work in a absurdly denser medium, like saltwater?

oops. lol, wait, I never said it wasn't awesome.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember the village-sized holoship hidden underwater in Star Trek: Insurrection?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Since you have thrusters and impulse drive, you don't need warp drive. So you can simply turn those hydrogen collectors off.

9. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point I'm getting the impression that you're just taking the piss.

If not, I guess it needs to be tried again. The ship was disabled. No power, no shields, no engines, no nothing. We have no idea whether or not it could have handled being submerged if that hadn't been the case.

It's also worth pointing out that all ships are not created equal, and a bird of prey is not the Enterprise.

10. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't care that it was underwater, I just thought the way it flew through the air was as if it was in space. I also don't see how the propulsion would work under water, unless there were a mass of propellers I missed.

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The giant space amoeba in The Immunity Syndrome is basically a giant blob of water! Enterprise went in there ok!

Also flew in the atmosphere no problem in 'Tomorrow is Yesterday'

Both TOS and 47 years old!

Holoship was hidden underwater in Insurrection and at some stage it took off and went into orbit under its own power, all while cloaked as well!!

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's future/made-up technology, who knows how it works?
    200 years ago people wouldn't understand how half of the stuff works we think of as ordinary.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Why ? Enterprise was always able to handle atmospheric entry.

It's an amphibious starship.

Antigravity.

14. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually it was worse than that...

The Enterprise flew through the space ameba in The Immunity Syndrome, and Spock described it as...

SPOCK: "Readings coming in now, Captain. Length, approximately eleven thousand miles. Width varying from two thousand to three thousand miles. Outer layer studded with space debris and waste. Interior consists of protoplasm, varying from a firmer gelatinous layer to a semi-fluid central mass. Condition, living."

So in TOS, the Enterprise flew through a mass of fluidic-gelatinous material.

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

For some reason this made me laugh out loud. Salamander starships. :lol:

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Tough talk coming from an iguana. :p

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Why?

What's the problem?

Says who?

Why?

To be fair, that ship had lost power and skimmed along the surface before sinking... before sinking because it lost power, not because it was a space ship. And interestingly enough, the Klingon BoP is a space ship designed to fly in the atmosphere and land on the ground, so... there's that...

Exactly. And it was a fun opening for the movie.

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

QFT!!! I think some people take this just a tad to serious. I mean, I love Star Trek, and sometimes I love nitpicking as well. But there are times when you just need to remember that at the end of the day, these movies are made to entertain. Now, I can't help it if someone isn't entertained ofcourse, but if you're going to watch a SciFi movie and try to take it so serious, you're going to end up being disappointed, because it's science FICTION, not fact.

19. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm not too nitpicky on the tedious stuff when we're talking about a warp drive run on magic crystals and matter/energy conversion transportation device that doesn't explode with the heat of a trillion suns every time it's used.

20. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Thanks guys, for realizing it's a movie meant to entertain.