Syfy's 20th Anniversary Special and the Viability of More Farscape?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just curious if anyone caught this this week, and what did you think. I honestly haven't watched any Syfy (Hate that name) since Caprica but I figured they are celebrating 20 years and this is the only night they will bring back Farscape to TV, I would watch and see what it was. I ended up enjoying it, even though it was basically you're typical retrospective.

However, and I'm not sure when they did the interviews, the comments were made by Hanson and O'Bannon that they don't believe Farscape is done. It got me to start thinking, maybe the series won't come back to TV, but what about movies? I know Sarenity did well, and I would love to see a new Farscape series, but I would also like to see if Farscape can work on the big screen. I know it's a long shot for this to happen and Syfy isn't in the business for the space opera anymore (Let alone most of sci-fi) but it would be nice to get more Farscape one day.

As for the new crop of shows, I missed out on Eureka, Warehouse 13, and now Lost Girl, but that Continuum and Defiance look interesting. Might try one or both of them out. Also, while I'm not a fan of reality TV, that Face/Off show looks interesting too. Has anyone seen it and is it worth watching a season?

Still wish we had a real sci-fi channel, but what we got last monday was a nice bit of nostalgia.

2. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Re: Syfy's 20th Anniversary Special and the Viability of More Farscape

I didn't see it, but might look for it on youtube. I would love to see more Farscape. After DS9, it's my second favourite show ... I'm planning a cosplay group around it.

Interesting in 2014 is 10 years since PKW was on.

I think with the amount of science fiction movies that are coming over the next few years, there might be some science fiction on TV again.

And Defiance looks damn impressive. Was just look at a video for it.

3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet; I plan to tonight. Was Sliders mentioned? Sliders is what started to bring Sci-Fi Channel a larger audience; it's record setting ratings for the channel weren't touched until Stargate came along. I half expect this special to not even acknowledge Sliders, though.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Don't think my TV has been on SyFy since BSG ended. Or SGU, whichever ended 2nd...

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Continuum just finished airing on Syfy's UK channel just a few weeks ago. It was pretty okay - not a great show, but something that had its momenets, had a decent watch, and has raised some interesting questions for its second season (which is definitely gonna happen).

Defiance on the other hand I think answers the question about the viability of more Farscape, in that the show is Rockne O'Bannon's. Most I'm hoping for at this point is that Defiance suceeds to be good; it is at least a little weirder than most post-apocalyptic series.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sliders was mentioned briefly, along with other shows inherited from other networks.

And I really like FACE-OFF. It's a good show, especially if you're into makeup effects.

In general, the Syfy anniversary special was a nice stroll through memory lane, that managed to encompass most of the network's history and output, although I found it odd that MERLIN went completely unmentioned, especially with the new season debuting next month. Granted, it's a British import, but CONTINUUM and LOST GIRL are both Canadian imports and they got plenty of coverage . ...

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was surprised there was no talk about Merlin. Actually the thing I was waiting for was anything on bringing Smackdown to Syfy, or just anything on WWE at all. Seems to me that WWE has a big presence now on Syfy and I was wondering how they were going to spin it. Also, there was a comment during the reality TV section saying how syfy needs to fill it's schedule and that's why they have reality TV. That's all well and good, but have you seen their schedule lately? It leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not really talking about their series all that much. It's mostly movies and reality now, especially on Tuesdays and Wednesday.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. Greg Cox

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm happy with the way they left Farscape but come to think of it, Li'l Dargo would be about 8 or 9 years old by now, and it might be fun to see the Crichton family adventures....

Other than that, Skiffy needs to get cracking on a space adventure series. Is the one by RHW dead by now?

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, Farscape did continue in the form of comics, which were actually a very good read. I would absolutely love to see more Farscape on screen, but I doubt a movie or TV series would ever happen. One thing I could maybe see happening is a mini-series. I'd love a 5-episode adventure or something that takes place 10 years later and brings the gang back together.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Brian Henson is always talking about reviving the series -- which is one of the reasons he's held on to the rights -- but I'm pretty doubtful that it will ever happen. Truth be told, Ben Browder is getting a little old for this sort of thing; he just had his fiftieth birthday on Tuesday.

Of course, if it did happen, I'd be first in line to see it.

12. Greg Cox

That didn't stop Shatner or Nimoy! :)

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

True -- although Kirk wasn't quite the same action-adventure lead in the movies as he was in the series.

14. Greg Cox

True. So have Browder play an older, more world-weary Crichton . . . .

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I certainly wouldn't object to more Farscape but I have a feeling they were talking more fancifully than they were realistically thinking it was going to happen.

16. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Passing the torch to D'Argo Sun-Crichton, most likely.

17. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Would love to see.it but sadly doubt it will happen. Perhaps in another.10 years it can get rebooted

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Haven't watched the Anniversary Special yet, but have it saved to the dvr. I hoping to see some discussion of SG1, Sliders, Eureka and Warehouse 13.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

True. He was more interesting.

;)

20. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

In general I am very selective tv viewer. I usually watch one or two series at a time at most. Sometimes none at all.

So I never seen most of Sci-Fi's original series. But also because of the way they treated Sliders turned me off to the whole network. I am not talking about cast changes or quality. But their shitty scheduling!

BY the time they aired the first episodes of a new season, I believe the whole season was completed. Yet they would only air new episodes for a few weeks and than have weeks and weeks of no episodes. With maybe a single new episode in a month. Is it surprising that fans would have no idea when a new episode would air??? I decided if they can't support their own shows I am not going to bother. Most of their early shows they abandoned supporting very quickly.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012