Do you often wish that you were living in Star Trek now?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Civ001, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Civ001

Civ001 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't know if this is just me, but modern life seems to be kind of boring. In Star Trek everything is much more interesting and there are lot of things going on over there than here. I would like to know has anyone ever wished that they were living in the Star Trek Universe? And if you did live there say 24th century Earth. What would you do?

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think it's the opposite. Real life is much more interesting than running into aliens with a different forehead every week. Our technology in some ways has far surpassed the technology Captain Kirk used (floppy disks? Ppfft!). There's more sheer wonder and spectacle in the old Cosmos series with Carl Sagan than in any episode of Star Trek. As much as I loved Star Trek as a kid, no I wouldn't want to live there.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

To visit for a time would be fantastic, but I would not want to leave my modern day forever, this is where my life is.

:)

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

"Captain, it's been wonderful visiting you and your crew. But I really need to get back to my time period. I'm missing my cell phone, my wireless internet, my tablet."

"Your... what?"

"Ah, just some primitive stuff that wouldn't interest you."

5. Vandervecken

Vandervecken Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kind of depends on what I am or what I'm doing in the 24th century. If I'm just some humble worker or Morn-like hanger-on at Quark's, I don't think so. But if I'm a time traveler from the past, well, people, especially historians, will probably want to talk to me, have me as a guest at conferences; the ladies would be very interested by the novelty factor ("me caveman from 3 centuries ago!")...it'd be a good life.

I always did think that the ending to "A Matter of Time" wouldn't be the end of "Professor Rasmussen's" story. Yeah, he stole stuff, and got caught, but really that pales to triviality beside the fact that he is a live, adult human being from the 20th century (we'd be going forward from the 21st). I think that would have been of ALOT greater importance than a few stolen objects that were all recovered anyway. Sure there were a few others ("The Neutral Zone"), but that still leaves a grand total of just 4 humans from that time to dish the dirt from our time to Federation historians.

Wonder what they did with Rasmussen's stolen time machine?

6. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek 23rd, 24th ou JJ?

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Depends how you interpret the question. If you interpret it as "Would you like to be permanently transported to the 24th century, alone", then like T'Girl I would answer no.

If you interpret it as, "If you could take your entire life, only have been born in the 24th century instead of modern day, would you do it?"

I'd say yes. No poverty, no war, insane amounts of comfort and luxury but a fair even playing field route to positions of prestige, 150 year life expectancy. Exciting frontiers in every direction. Of course I'd rather live there.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've been living in Star Trek since 1966, so I have no idea why this question is here.

9. T'Girl

They actually seem to have a ridiculous amount of war, they're alway fighting someone, somewhere.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only got one plea: lock me away inside of STAR TREK: The Next Generation and throw away the key. Because I'm guilty ... of Love in the First Degree.

11. PhoenixClass

PhoenixClass Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree completely.

The OP said assume 24th century Earth, so although there are wars between interstellar powers, there is no war on Earth.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

13. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Time Pod returned to the 22nd Century on it's own. I would think that either the original time traveler stranded in the 22nd Century by Rasmussen would have recovered it upon it's return and he then returned to the 26th Century. Or those that sent him in the first place realized that something had gone wrong and went back themselves to set things right. Either way, I would be surprised if they allowed Rasmussen to stay in the 24th Century. It's a big no-no messing with the timeline.

14. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sometimes I wish I was the Hulk.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd like to be Iron Man...

16. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd just like to have Bill Gates' money.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Not for a moment. Life is better.

18. Vandervecken

I forgot that--about the pod leaving on its own. Thanks.

But why would it be so important to send Rasmussen back?---he's from their past. He couldn't change anything. In fact, sending him back with future knowledge, even without future artifacts, would be more dangerous than just letting him live the high life in the 24th.

19. Vandervecken

Holodecks/holosuites, people, holodecks.

20. T'Girl

Just a computer generated fantasy.

Nothing wrong with a little pretend time, but I'd rather spend the majority of my time with people (not projections).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.