Family is thinking about moving to Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

I haven't been on in a while because of a short but filled college semester. However I've been waiting for my whole family to be told before coming here and asking has anyone been to Republic of Macedonia? Does anyone have tips when it comes to moving to European countries from America?

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

May we inquire about the reason for such a... unusual move?

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Is this a joke? Macedonia is an absolute shithole even by Balkan standards.

4. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

I've got a super good tip. Don't think of them as "european countries" but as individual countries. Even Norway, Denmark and Sweden (the scandinavian countries) are different from each other, not by loads, but noticeably different nonetheless. I doubt very much that anyone from europe thinks of themselves as a European, they think of themselves as french, British, Irish, Scottish, Danish etc. I'm from Norway, never met anyone who identified themselves as european, the reason for this is the cultures, politics and everything else differs from country to country.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^I'd echo that whilst I am a EU Citizen, I consider myself British and Scottish. But it would be interesting to hear what other Europeans think.

6. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't even consider myself Austrian, but Viennese.

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I was there recently. What a beautiful city! I wish I had more time there.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I hope this decision isn't related to Paul the Apostle having a vision of a man saying "Come to Macedonia and help us."

teacake likes this.
  9. Kenbushway

My father has a friend who lives in Prilep, he is also helps my father with his window shade business. That friend has gotten my dad to like the idea of moving to Republic of Macedonia so they can start a business together. My father and my family also like to think it would be a new start.

Nope, no joke.

We are a family of atheists, no religious reasons.

10. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Lieutenant Red Shirt

11. iguana_tonante

I have no problem having multiple, concentric cultural identities, so I think of myself a denizen of my little township, a resident of Bologna, an Italian, and an European, all at the same time and without any contradiction. But having met and worked with a lot of people from many European countries, I feel a stronger personal connection with my peers from, say, France, Germany or England, than with many Italians.

Culturally and historically, I am definitively Italian; but socially, politically, and personally, I feel Europe is my home. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I feel an European identity is slowly emerging in the 20-30 years old group, thanks to the ease of travel, more international collaborations, and students exchange programs.

I went there a few years ago. It was beautiful, but it was a bit too... clean and majestic for my tastes. I love medieval cities, with their narrow passages and crooked buildings.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Perhaps it's more a case of a better understanding than an identity as such. An identity can take a long time to form and can't be rushed. Whilst many EU citizens in consider themselves European they tend to still identify themselves as their own specific nationality first and European second.

13. iguana_tonante

As Roger suggested, in many places local identities trump national identities.

I know for a fact it's true in Italy, where many people have far stronger ties to their own city (the campanile of campanilism) than with Italy as a whole. And I believe the same applies to the UK, where people identify as English, Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish first, and British second).

Doesn't mean the larger identity doesn't exist. But I agree it will still take a long time to establish a clear European identity. But I think we are going in that direction (well, if the economic crisis doesn't devour the Euro and the EU, of course)

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I guess the first step is to figure out the legal steps to work there. For example, you can't just move to the United States and start working simply because you want to start a business. The next step is to ask how much Bulgarian you understand? It's much easier to do business in a country you speak the language.

15. Kenbushway

Right we got the moving there legal aspects down. Bulgarian? From what I've been reading its Macedonian that I have to learn. We still have about a year, my dad's friend is supposed to help us with learning the language.

16. Alidar Jarok

There are two things to learn about Macedonian. First, it's kind of a Bulgarian dialect (or it's at least extremely similar to Bulgarian). Second, you probably shouldn't tell them that it's a Bulgarian dialect.

17. Kenbushway

Right. I also know its bad to mention what happened with the Albanians and anything greece related.

How should I approach people? What kind of unusual (beyond shaking hands or waving hello) greetings could there be (I.E hugging strangers. Any different (than practiced in America) customs that I should definitely pay attention to?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  18. Alidar Jarok

I have no idea. I'm not the best person to ask.

Interestingly, they're not too bad on the corruption perception index (certainly better than many other Baltic neighbors and roughly comparable to Italy).

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have your parents visited Macedonia?

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I never even heard of Macedonia until now.

Probably analogous to someone from Europe not being able to ramble off all 50 states.

Good luck with the move!