TNG Characters in the JJ-Verse

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Sep 18, 2012.

1. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I was just curious...who and how would you bring a TNG character into the JJ-verse Trek for a one time cameo or role. I'm racking my head to figure out how and why, and the only thing I could come up with is after the explosion of the Scimitar, Data's head has been floating around in space for years, and when Spock creates the red matter and all, somehow Data's head goes into the black hole. It's stupid, I know but I'm trying my best to see how we could get a TNG character in new Trek outside of playing someone's distant relative, i.e. Colonel Worf.

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man they always seem to find data's head in the darndest places, don't they.

I don't think this idea will go over well. I also don't think you'll ever see any tng characters in the jjverse. But if they did, it would probably be data since hes so popular and iconic. It would be even weirder seeing someone else play data than seeing someone else play the tos crew, though. I guess because data wouldn't have the age difference explanation to hand wave it.

3. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

I believe its been mentioned some time ago that data's head is already in the JJverse. Not sure what they could do with just a head though. A guess spot on Futurama perhaps?

4. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

You know what, that's a good point. Technically his head is still underground in San Francisco. Maybe they find it, and connect his head to a toaster or some big super computer. I never thought about that...

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Data's head could be buried under San Fransisco from Time's Arrow.... though with the altered timeline, it's speculative if any of that would ever happen or if those soul sucking aliens were ever beaten.

6. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

I emphatically wouldn't. I can't remotely fathom what the appeal would be. TNG forged it's own creative direction, with so very few references to Trek's history. I would save all the characters for if/when they jumped forward in Trek's chronology to make Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Movie.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding the appeal of this. Why do it? I ran away from the novels when they went crossover-crazy years back. Pass the torch, pass the torch, I'm sick of the damn torch. F*** the torches and the crossovers! What's the appeal?! Obviously it requires formidable logic-hoops to jump through, without even sorting out how the character would interact in a time and place and with characters where they don't belong. Why is this in any way desirable?

7. alfredodedarc

alfredodedarc Cadet Newbie

FYI- The IDW pre-2009 Trek comic crossed over with TNG; Data was there and functional 10 years post- Nemesis. B4 had rebooted and became Data, Picard was still Captain and Geordi helped build Spock's jellyfish craft.
    Since Nero came from the original timeline, so did these characters. Whether these guys continue into the alternate JJverse is unanswered but doubtful in the same form.
    Bob Orci was deeply involved in the production of these comics and they are considered to be JJverse canon.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, they're not. The pushy interviewer asked and asked until Bob Orci said they're canon, but here's what Bob said a few hours after that article (http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/17/exc...es-movie-tie-in-comics-game-as-canon/#4906397) was posted:

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't think Countdown explained how Data got there, but it's been a while since I've read it.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is explained that Data's personality eventually took over the B-4 body. It's all covered in one throw-away line so it's no surpirse that hardly anyone remembers it.

11. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

FYI- I am familiar with the Countdown comic. I am aware that Data was resurrected in that storyline. I was under the impression that Picard was not a captain, but a diplomat or embassador.

I don't have strong feelings about elements from Countdown; some things I like, some things I casually question.

But if we're talking about Countdown as lending weight to there being precedent for TNG characters crossing into "nuTrek's" TOS era, let's review the characters that do cross over. Nero is an original character who is not strongly associated with TNG's era. Most of the audience for Star Trek (2009) would not have read the comic, and wouldn't have a predisposition to connect Nero with TNG era. Then there's Spock, a character who, spiritual and thematically, belongs to TOS era. In one sense, he has returned to a place and time that is home. Extensive usage in the TNG era beyond a certain point would be intrusive.

So Countdown does not sway me in this matter.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, if we get a TV Series based upon the JJTrek TOS Universe, and in S4 or 5, they want to do some timey-wimey thing for an episode, or a two parter, and bring someone back (or maybe even tie in something like Parallels), sure that might be cool, but, no legitimate reason/excuse, IMHO, to pull something like that in the JJ Theatrical movie Trilogy or early on in a possible TV Series

13. BillJ

At the rate we're going, season four or five will be airing sometime around 2020. Some of the TNG cast will likely no longer be with us.

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, the OP did say character, not actor, so that shouldn't necessarily be a limitation. Besides, 2020 is only seven years and a bit away.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data would be by far the best one to bring in. Alan Tudyk could play him, if he isn't too old by this point too. if not, hey, maybe Jim Parsons. I can't see the other TNG characters working, they're not iconic enough.

16. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

If this hypothetical nuData is played by anyone other than Tom Hiddleston, it will be a missed opportunity bordering on the criminal.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No reason it couldn't be Spiner. As much make up as he has to wear, age is a relative thing.

18. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

By all means, none of the TNG characters should exist in this new timeline's future.

19. BillJ

This.

20. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

They could very well exist, there's just no way of knowing in what manner they exist. It would be another Mirror Universe situation where a lot of them could be living entirely different lives, or largely the same lives, just totally irrelevant to the story at hand.

Guinan. She would be the one prominent TNG-era character who should be mostly untouched in this timeline. As would Q, I suppose, but I'd rather they not go there, unless it's to finally out him as Trelane.