THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 22, 2013.

?

Rate The Wolverine

1. Excellent

20.5%
  2. Above Average

44.6%
  3. Average

30.1%
  4. Below Average

3.6%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's not as good as any of the movies that have Singer's involvement but it has its good points. In particular, I think it has some great casting with Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston, Dominic Monaghan, & Ryan Reynolds.

Isn't Omega Red a fish oil vitamin supplement?:wtf:

2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Why did Jackman bulk up so much for X-Men Origins: Wolverine?
    In X-men 1,2 and 3 he wasn't so muscled, and I didn't find it really necessary

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Jackman, via IGN Movies, says he's not yet signed for a third Wolvie flick, and that "if I did another one, Iā€™m 99.9 percent sure it would be the last."

Sounds no Wolvie in Apocalypse, then.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure he is signed for Apocalypse, and Wolverine 3 would be after Apocalypse.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Citation needed on that first part.

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would you read it that way? He's apparently talking about Wolverine "solo" films specifically, and about a film that isn't supposed to come out until 2017.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I could have sworn I read it somewhere but now I struggle to find it this is the best I could do:

http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalypse-director-bryan-singer-time-period/
    The ā€™70s set X-Men: Apocalypse story could however, still involve younger Wolverine if Singer and Fox are hoping to involve Hugh Jackman and could still involve a few mutants from the future ā€“ namely the time-travelling characters from the comics, Bishop (Omar Sy) and Cable (yet to be confirmed or introduced).

Maybe I was just assuming... But in either case Wolverine 3 will definitely be filmed after Apocalypse, given that Apocalypse already has a release date of 2016.

8. Set Harth

Apocalypse is set in the 80s.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Singer has mentioned Apocalypse will mainly feature the First Class cast. Yes, it is always possible Wolverine could have a role, but I was hoping he'd sit this one out.

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Depending on the plot of Days of Future Past (and this is heavily dependant), Apocalypse would have continuity errors if it took place in the 80's and featured the cast of First Class. It takes away some of the impact of the first X-Men film.

But then again, time travel always introduces paradox and continuity errors, so maybe that's not such a big deal here.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Don't know if it really belongs here but I don't want to open a separate thread for it. There's a piece of artwork going round which it's claimed is concept art for Mel Gibson as Wolverine, back when he was linked to the role. Personally, I think it's just a piece of fan art, albeit a very good one, but some of you might like to see what might have been:

http://geektyrant.com/news/actual-concept-art-of-mel-gibson-as-wolverine

12. Set Harth

Not necessarily. For example, the time travel in Star Trek 2009 did not create paradox or continuity errors, it just created an alternate timeline.

13. tighr

Well, it's not like the series has been continuity error-free to date, before any time travel aspect was added. Plenty in just the first three films to begin with.

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Isn't Hugh Jackman getting one more solo Wolverine film? After that I believe he is set to retire from the role.

15. Set Harth

Such as?

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

First thing that comes to mind is Patrick Stewart walking in Wolverine Origins when James McAvoy got paralyzed already in First Class.

In X-Men, Xavier is confused how Magneto can shield himself from Cerebro, but in First Class, he sees the helmet and knows what it can do.

There's probably a lot more.

17. tighr

I guess most of them have to do with contradictions made in Origins Wolverine and First Class, since those are "prequels" to the traditional three. The ones that come to mind (other than what Jarod mentioned):

-Dr Hank McCoy appearing on television in X2, then as Beast in X-Men 3. Then as Beast in First Class.
    -Professor X mentioning that he met Magneto when they were 17. Then we see their meeting in First Class, much older/later.
    -Professor X/Stryker telling Wolverine that it's been 15 years, but the events of Origins are 20-25 years before the events of X-Men (depending on when X-men was set, which is ambiguous).
    -Sabertooth appearing as both Wolverine's half-brother, and as an unrelated mutant (i.e., a much more in depth difference than simply an actor change).
    -Emma Frost
    -Wolverine having memories of Japan in the 40s, despite losing his memories in Origins (and having them mostly lost throughout X/X2/X3). Maybe he's been regenerating them, not really explained.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Also, McCoy building Cerebro.

19. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

Astral Projection, Tech, or Magneto driven leg cuffs

I think that is a bit of "letting the student do the math"

20. tighr

I think that is a bit of "different writers writing different movies set in the same universe".

Most of these aren't that bad, really. Many could have been overlooked completely if First Class had been a reboot instead of actually part of the canon. They don't really annoy me that much, I just enjoy the exercise of recognizing the continuity errors.

My biggest pet peeve in continuity errors is the errors in Terminator 3, because they just screamed that the writer of that film didn't watch the first two. Dates, ages, names, etc all were incorrect.