Ronald D. Moore make new star trek tv show

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by tmosler, Jan 22, 2013.

1. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This.

There are millions and millions of Star Trek fans out there. One day, somehow, one of them will be in the position to bring it back to TV.

Ronald D. Moore's work on DS9 was terrific so he'd be a good candidate, but the ending to BSG is some seriously dumb science-fiction so I'm skeptical of his suitability. If he were to continue the JJ-verse than we'd maybe learn that Spock was an angel ghost (????) the whole time and God was behind everything. I like the wormhole aliens/Prophets in DS9 but BSG's dumbed down Judeo-Christian monotheism isn't my cuppa tea.

Babylon 5 is one of the best television shows but the following TV movies, Crusade and his comic work leave a lot to be desired.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Please keep Ron Moore away from Star Trek, he's insanely overrated.

3. DalekJim

He fucked up with the BSG ending but he's got an outstanding body of work in DS9 and BSG overall. Obviously Generations is total shit but I put it down to him being Berman-ised.

I'm one of 5 people that like Caprica.

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1) God "isn't behind everything". You just learn that the Head People were telling the truth* from square one. That people looked for other reasons (chips in head...etc..) was their decision to make.

2) It's been awhile since I rationalized...errrr...explained Starbuck, and it doesn't come easily. I think I lost the powerpoint presentation.

*And even that is from their perspective. They don't seem infalliable and certainly seem to get off track sometimes.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, having read his idea for a TOS reboot I have to agree.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's simple to arrange, since the next Star Trek series will not be produced by or for a network. Expensive niche genres can survive only on cable or a streaming service like Netflix, which is my preference for where the next series will appear.

Netflix can fund premium series like HBO and Showtime do, but it doesn't have the need to maintain the snob appeal image, so doing a series associated with free TV wouldn't be a problem for them. In fact, it would most likely be a huge boost to their subscriptions.

I wouldn't mind seeing what RDM would do with Star Trek (JMS, nah) but to keep going with the acronyms, CBS is the one you need to consider. They need to greenlight any new series, regardless of where it appears, and since Bob Orci has already called dibs, and he has the most credibility since he's involved in Star Trek's current success, he's the one CBS would listen to.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, as I said, most Star Trek fans would hate him if he were the showrunner, but of course they would hate anyone who'd deviate from the norm too much.

8. DalekJim

An Orci and Kurtzman showran TV series?

Please don't even joke about such a matter.

It's really embarrassingly clunky in execution. I watched the finale with 2 friends and everybody was cringing at how crass the One True God stuff was. Especially as monotheism is so fucking new. At least make ancient humans polytheistic pagans, it's so misjudged it borders on insanity.

And then we get spooky shots of modern technology with All Along The Watchtower playing. At which point everybody in the room was just laughing at how goofy it all was.

I love Caprica though. Aint bothered with Blood and Chrome as it looks like it's pandering to all those online fans posting "WHERE ARE ALL THE SPACE FIGHTS?" during Caprica's run.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

FTFY. ;)

10. DalekJim

Well, it's true so far. Fans seem to vocally dislike Gene Roddenberry, Rick Berman and JJ Abrams.

And people think Star Wars fans are too negative about their big cheese.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I highly doubt RDM would agree to return to Trek. We know what kind of show he likes to make, now: it's called nuBSG. He's firmly in that camp now.

12. DalekJim

NuBSG really isn't too far removed from the (superior) Star Trek show Deep Space 9. He isn't my ideal candidate but we could do MUCH worse than Ronald D. Moore. Hell, I'd consider him to be a far superior writer of science-fiction than the current incumbents of the gig.

But.. no more God. Ever.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'd give RDM a Trek show in a heartbeat.

Any Trek show...

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm not denying that RDM *could* make a well-run Trek show if he so choose. I simply think that he would not, in fact, choose to do so.

I mean, he spent all those years with nuBSG - one of the most un-Trek shows I've ever seen. So why would anyone who went to all that time and effort to make a show that is deliberately un-Trek, suddenly turn around and make a show that IS Trek? Sure, perhaps he could do it. I just think that he wouldn't want to do it.

This also applies to Joss Whedon. Arguably, Firefly is even less Trek-like than nuBSG. So why would anyone expect Whedon to ever want to helm a Trek show?

15. DalekJim

Firefly is a space western, just like TOS. It's absolutely a show with Trek in its DNA.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Because he was asked ? Because he likes Trek ? Because he has as point to prove ? Because it has prestige ? Because it pays a lot of money ?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Still?

...Okay, I'll give you that. That one might indeed break him. :lol:

18. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought the point of the Japanese robots wasn't to be spooky, but rather to show that man has avoided it's predecessors mistakes. The first Cylons were soldiers...."we" make toys.

I don't understand your polythiestic comment. The ancient BSG humans were polythiestic. The newer civilization (the Cylons) were monothiestic.

19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Sure reality shows are cheaper to producer, and have a quicker return on expenditure. But how many of those reality shows will be being played in 50 years time?

TOS is still in re-runs almost 50 years after it first aired. So it is still making money.

So it might be a case of a loss in the short term, but a profit in the long term.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Weren't some humans in nuBSG monothestic?

And you could just as easily say that the coda at the end of nuBSG, was raising the question that we could be on the same course as before That the cycle could repeat itself.