Mockingbird Lane - It didn't suck!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral2, Oct 27, 2012.

1. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't believe that people are doing an in depth analysis of that Marilyn scene. It was fun. That's it. There is no further depth to the freakin' Munsters.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The scene only comes up as part of the evil Marilyn/most monstrous of the Munsters thesis. The idea's not quite hallucinatory, there are a couple of hints. Which are contradicted by scenes like this (unless you force an interpretation.) I'm not sure what evil Marilyn is supposed to want. We know what Granpa wants, and Herman, and even Eddie. How being the most evil one of all makes her most concerned about enforcing Lily's wish to protect Eddy is baffling. As you say, nothing from the character, which was never defined, just a funny one-liner.

Correct response? More than one, I should think. Sincerely concerned Marilyn: F-bomb, sound partly covered by stair creaking back down. Evil Marilyn: (Giggle) Bimbo Marilyn: Oops! (Yes, that is the line, but bimbo Marilyn is a ghastly mistake. And suddenly talking like Jennifer Tilly makes it ten times worse.) Permanently faking "nice" Marilyn: "Bon appetit!"

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"Oops!", she said, with a slightly mad twinkle in her eye.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've rewatched that scene a couple of times and I don't see it as so over the top cloying (the oops seems really quiet to my admittedly not great ears) And it is ultimately meant to be a cute scene. Reading over at IMDB it seems this one is polarizing for a lot of people.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

OK I did watch the JLA pilot recently (well 2/3rds of it anyway)and that was worse than this dung heap. All I can say is at least Singer has worked on H+ recently too.

RAMA

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You're made of sterner stuff than I am. I honestly couldn't finish watching the JLA pilot . . . and I've sat through the some pretty awful movies.

That GENERATION X pilot did several years back was pretty horrendous, too. (Not to be confused with MUTANT X, which was just mediocre.)

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to seeing this. I really enjoyed it. I'd love for this to go to series but it sure doesn't look likely at all at this point. Total bummer. Oh, well...I'm looking forward to Fuller's take on Hannibal Lecter whereever that airs.

8. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I'm going to admit I consciously avoided this until I saw this thread. After watching it on Hulu I have to agree with a lot of the comments here. The production design is fantastic. It definitely has a very distinct look to it, and a beautifully weird one at that. I enjoyed the actors in their varying roles and the little nods here and there to what was (including Herman's intro) were nicely done. The dark humor did make me laugh a few times.

I also have to say I really enjoyed the updated version of the Munster theme song! I hadn't expected them to use it as much as it was.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I enjoyed this, too. Eddie Izzard was hilariously creepy and I really liked the family dynamic. Too bad they chose not to pick the series up.

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I had read about this show in the Fall Preview of Entertainment Weekly but have yet to see an episode.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there is only going to be one episode. They aired the pilot as a standalone special on Halloween.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's that good. :p

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The network passed on taking it to series, but, if you read through this thread, gut feeling is that 90% of the thread reviewers enjoyed it to some degree, and I'm sure it's well over 50% that are disappointed it won't be going to series

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't terrible, or as bad as I thought it would be, but I found most of the performances unremarkable, with the exception of Izzard. Certainly not as powerful a cast chemistry as Pushing Daisies had

I think they won me over with the premise, which was actually a tough sell for me, & they did deliver a snazzy looking pilot, but the overall execution, & performances fell flat, not to mention it being more graphic than a network would find acceptable in this type of series. I think had they played down the graphic gore just a bit, & had some of the cast be different, it might have worked

By different cast, I mean mostly Jerry O'Connell. I like the guy, but he just didn't do it for me, & I'm taking it as a completely separate entity from the original. He didn't work as the Herman he was supposed to be, mainly because, much like the original Herman, he was supposed to be the endearing one, & though they tried, O'Connell wasn't endearing enough, even though they robbed the character of almost all visual monstrosity

Which is the other problem with the character treatment. Herman is supposed to be the most visually monstrous. No, that doesn't mean he need look like Boris Karloff's Frankenstein, but he needs to be the one that draws attention more than the others

What they should have tried to do was get their hands on Brad Garrett, & dress him almost the exact same way they did O'Connell, & it would have been both more monstrous, & still more endearing, because Garrett would be very much more so on both accounts, without having to be as campy as Fred Gwynne

Just my opinion though

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm disappointed to hear that, but not at all surprised. It probably would have taken some pretty big numbers to get NBC to change their minds.

17. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

good riddance to bad rubbish.

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pity. I enjoyed the character dynamics in that pilot episode. And I loved the updated Spot.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's too bad. I'd have had some reason to turn the TV back on.

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If anything I think they should've gotten Cheyenne Jackson who played scoutmaster Steve to play Herman. he had more of that big kid quality you want from the character