Last book in the Twilight series on hold indefinitely...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Thespeckledkiwi, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Saw this last night on Yahoo and then on her official page. Her last book in the Twilight Series, book 5 is now on hold indefinitely because chapters were leaked out on the Internet and she was pissed. It seems that there is a good chance that it won't ever come out.

As a writer, I do sympathize with her a lot. I know Harry Potter was leaked out and those that leaked it, got major fines and I believe jail time. So it's interesting the fine line with copyrights and such.

Plus, she's hot :lol: Have you seen Stephanie Meyer?

2. So it won't EVER come out because chapters were leaked early?

Way to stick it to your loyal fans!

I dont read this series so I don't really care, but that's a horrible reason to NEVER release it.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

And teen girls riot in the streets!!!

4. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this the series about the teenage vampires?

Believe me, it will come out at some point once the author gets over the hissy fit. Why? Simple: $$$

5. Thespeckledkiwi

She won't say who leaked it but it is heart-breaking to know that people you trust immediately put it on the Internet after getting it.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, something needs to be clarified here: Midnight Sun is a supplemental volume which tells the story of the novel "Twilight" from Edward's perspective. It's not part of the Twilight novel series anymore than books like Quidditch Through The Ages or The Tales of Beedle the Bard are part of the Harry Potter novel series.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    As someone who works in a bookstore, I can confirm that. No one is that petty or petulant. This series is, in some ways, even bigger than Harry Potter, at least in terms of demand at my store. We're almost always sold out of every single entry in the series, even the 1st one.

BTW, I've heard that critics have really been critical of Breaking Dawn. I don't read the books but I was just wondering what the fuss over that is about.

8. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hate that it's been delayed but it will come out eventually. Of that I am sure. I read the leaked copy Stephanie Meyer posted on her web site and it was most excellent so far. As good as any of the other books and it adds a lot of depth to the Cullen side of the saga.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Uh, yeah ... I saw this already. It's really rather ... shall we say "convenient" ... that just after the fourth book comes out, this book "leaks". The author says it's an early version and she doesn't want anybody to see it, and then she POSTS the whole text on her website.

Marketing 101, anybody?

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better watch out at Hot Topics nationwide.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

She really didn't need the marketing, though. These books are huge. She could write Edward Cullen reads his e-mail and people would flock to the stores to buy it.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that.
    I was sure it was only 4 books.
    However it raises a question, for me anyway.

How much material comprises a supplement before its considered a novel?

13. DigificWriter

^ Midnight Sun is only analogous to the supplemental material I mentioned in that it is not required reading; Stephanie had been writing it as a novel in its own right, but it was never intended to be an official part of her Twilight quadrology.

14. Thespeckledkiwi

They refer to it as book 5 though in the series. Who knows.

15. DigificWriter

^ Anyone who is referring to Midnight Sun as 'book 5' in the Twilight Saga is doing so incorrectly.

16. Thespeckledkiwi

It is difficult. I don't know how to...describe it because if a book that took place in the Potter universe, but was from the eyes of Dumbledore or Weasley, would that be a supplement or would that be another inclusion to the books we have?

17. InvisibleGT

InvisibleGT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The demand at your store notwithstanding, Harry Potter was far and away larger than this series ever was, or ever will be. Harry Potter has become engrained, unfortunately, in popular culture. People who have never even seen a Harry Potter novel know who the character is. They know some of the basic elements of it (wizardry, etc.).

However, Twilight is, at best, a niche novel.

18. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

DEATH FETUS CRAVES BLOOD!!!!!! :techman: