Supernatural Season 9 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Timelord Victorious, Oct 9, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I have a feeling that the Supernatural writers created a new Angel name by varying the spelling of an old one. Maybe they didn't want it to sound like Gabriel.

:alienblush:

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Gadriel is an established name from the Book of Enoch, someone likely just misspelled it and didn't bother to fix it. And it would still be pronounced the same anyway.

Although the show is changing what details it needs to for the story, like Castiel suddenly calling himself a Seraph for the last two years despite still only having two wings.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that's sort of confusing. You're saying that the correct spelling should be Gadriel, although it's pronounced "gad-REEL." On the other hand, Gabriel has a different pronunciation, but the only difference in spelling is a single consonant. It would make sense that the show writers varied the spelling for Gadreel.

4. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

How the hell are you pronouncing Gabriel?

5. Gryffindorian

^ This is how they're labeled on the show:

Gadreel (or Gadriel) - Ezekiel poser in Sam's body is pronounced "gad-REEL."

Gabriel as in Archangel is usually pronounced "GABE-ree-uhl" or "GAB-ree-ell." How do you pronounce Gabriel? Surely, not "gub-REEL."

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

So they *are* pronouncing it REEL not ree-AHL? o...kay that's weird. So there is now Gadreel, Gadriel and Gabriel.

Yeah that's not confusing at all.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I'm just going to keep calling him Ezekiel. I doubt the dead angel will ever be on the show or even referenced again, so it's all good.

8. Mister Fandango

Ree-El. The same way Gadreel is pronounced.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I've just been calling him "Helo." ;)

10. Gryffindorian

That's not what I heard. He was called Gadreel by Metatron, pronounced gad-REEL. There was no reference to Gabriel whatsoever, whose name wasn't even mentioned.

11. Mister Fandango

Strange, I just went back and listend again, and Metatron is strangely using three syllables. Soon thereafter in the same video, Muriel's name is pronounced the exact same way.

I dunno, maybe Metratron just speaks too quickly and fluidly for you?

12. Gryffindorian

I dunno. Maybe we're watching two different versions of the show. I live in California, FWIW.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

At first I thought it was Gadriel, too, but after doing a bit of searching I found this, from Chapter 69 of the Book of Enoch:

14. RJDiogenes

He seemed a little hung up on the weapons of death. Good research. If he's the third, who were the first two?

15. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Welcome back Supernatural as this was a great start to 2nd part of season 9. Loved Crowley and cant wait for next week.

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Crap...forgot this was on tonight...have to catch it later...damn.

17. Gryffindorian

Aye. Thanks to Crowley for helping to kick Gadreel out of Sam's head (in exchange for Crowley's freedom).

As for Kevin, I still can't believe he's really gone.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I enjoyed that episode--loved Crowley, of course--and I liked how it ended between the brothers; really couldn't happen any other way.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Also enjoyed the episode, glad the whole Sam possession thing is behind us, I didn't want this to drag out the entire season. Interesting bit of dual possession inside Sam. Cool seeing that.

Got some more answers about why God possibly left, he was so upset at Gadriel, he left. That was a long time ago, so wow. If that's the reason of course, but that's what Castiel said.

Crowley doesn't seem so evil anymore, in fact, it looks like they are setting him up to be on the good team, at least, as long as it suits his interests. (watch the preview for next episode) He obviously will want to get rid of Abadon, so while the boys and him share that goal, he'll help help. After that, will be interesting.

I love the "Three Amigos" Dean, Crowley and Castiel :guffaw:

Poor Kevin, I also can't believe they actually killed him, and apparently Metatron "flipped a switch" in heaven, so no more prophets :o

So Dean is on a mission, kill Gadriel. I have a feeling Gadriel will end up turning on Metatron though. We will see.

20. RJDiogenes

Even though they haven't mentioned that "purge" from last season in a while, there still seems to be a definite change in Crowley. I don't think that will prevent Abbadon from getting her ass kicked, though.

Cass's intense anger toward Gadreel was interesting, as was the revelation that he was the reason God left. I was a bit disappointed that Gadreel killed his old friend. With that, he crosses the line from manipulated Simple Simon to evil punk who has to die.