Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I didn't know this. Excellent. Makes him even more suitable to direct Trek AND Wars. :techman:

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Yeah, agreed. Galaxy Quest is a pretty awesome movie.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm curious then, what was your point? It sounded like a dig at JJ.

4. EnsignRicky

It was. I just don't want it to be taken as a dig at Galaxy Quest.

Besides I thought it was pretty obvious that he liked Galaxy Quest. He re-made it and called it Star Trek.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That makes no sense, for reasons that should be obvious.

6. EnsignRicky

Well I think that it does. As with my previous posts, it's my entitled and humble opinion. And now might be a good time for you to stop riding my every word.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I feel really, really sorry for you. That type of feeling over someone that makes movies isn't good for you.

I've lived through good Star Trek and bad Star Trek, through good Star Wars and bad Star Wars.

The key is that I'm still alive and that they still make entertainment franchises that I love. Whether a particular installment is up to my personal standards doesn't matter. It's all gravy at this point in life.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Liking Galaxy Quest just means you have good taste. Every Trekkie I know loves Galaxy Quest.

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

9. Professor Zoom

I guess I'm just asking you to unpack your opinion. How is liking what you consider a good movie a BAD thing? How is that a dig?

And I don't see how JJ's Trek is like Galaxy Quest...

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galaxy Quest is better than any Star Trek movie that isn't The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Movie Trek has always been different from television Trek. The original series movies still managed to work in the allegorical elements and strong themes about humanity, but those have not been present in a movie in any serious way since the Undiscovered Country.

12. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

there is no point in making a movie if it was going to be the same as the tv show. The only reason to turn a tv show into a movie is to do the big action, the big explosions, the big special effects that aren't in a tv budget and that would be wasted on the small screen.

13. EnsignRicky

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

ST is not didactic; it is literary in the sense that it explores the human condition. TMP was really about overcoming personal grievances in the face of larger issues and how different people have different callings.

A Piece of the Action was an allegory for cultural interference in third world countries.

WNMHGB was about having to make the tough decisions when you have a job that puts you in a position of power and explored the concept of absolute power corrupting absolutely.

Of course the Star Wars OT did this too.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But you don't need to have "personal experience" with a franchise to do a good job with it. I'm not sure where people get the idea that you have to be a lifelong fan to "get" a series, be it STAR WARS or STAR TREK or THE GILMORE GIRLS for pete's sake.

Again, look at Nicholas Meyer, who had absolutely no "personal experience" with TREK before doing THE WRATH OF KHAN, which is still the best TREK movie to date.

16. Nerys Myk

"Riding your word"? What does that mean? It's an idiom I'm unfamiliar with. Does it refer to me commenting on your opinions? Because that isn't going to stop. It's pretty much how a discussion board works. You say something and other posters respond. Some might agree others will disagree.

If there's a rule I've broken, please feel free to hit the notify Mod button.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I for one am looking forward to this. And I think JJ's going to do just fine. He respects the material and is distanced enough from it that he makes the movie for the more casual fan that's not going to be bitching on the Internet about how it "SUXORS, OMG DIEEEE!"

18. Professor Zoom

Well. You didn't LIST any qualifications. You sorta purposefully left out Abrams's body of work.

It's fine to have an opinion, but don't pretend you're laying out a well thought case.

And let's be blunt, personal experience with Star Wars doesn't guarantee success. Case in point, George Lucas and the prequels.

19. EnsignRicky

The point is this isn't Gilmore Girls or even Star Trek, this is Star Wars. Something that has been guided frame by frame, for better or for worse by one man. Even when directed by the likes of Kershner and Marquand, you know Lucas still held and exercised total creative control.

Now that he's sold that off and moved on It's imperative that they put someone in there that knows and understands the language of Star Wars. And from what I've seen, I fear that Abrams is simply not a good fit.

Now if Lucas was still on the set and in the editing room every day, they could go ahead and get M. Night Shamalamadingdong for all I'd care, but for some reason, I don't think that's going to be a big priority in his billion dollar married life.

20. Nerys Myk

The guy who people have been whining about for years as being "too Star Wars for Star Trek" isn't a good fit?

Interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.