The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

We did see it. It's called TOS-R, and all of the space shots look like garbage.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Just watched the sample video clips...never noticed before that the space jellyfish are bluish and...pinkish. Boy comes to save girl. Ugh.

3. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they look like they fit in with the look of the show. You can't have it look like the nuBSG effects in a 1960s tv series.

-Chris

4. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I always thought the test footage by EdenFX looked very good. If you scroll down this page you can have a look at it.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you very much, TheSeeker! The sort of approach in the .avi depicting apples to apples comparison of the Miri stock footage would have been infinitely preferable to what we got in the end. :techman:

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They were the company that wanted to replace aliens as well...so would it really be worth it if you had to put up with that awful Gorn they came up with?

8. CorporalCaptain

Replacing the aliens like that would have been really bad. Also, when I said that "the sort of approach" depicted in that .avi would have been much better, I didn't say or mean they should have been the ones to do the FX either, necessarily.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Even if they had gotten the job they still wouldn't have had any say in whether aliens got replaced or not.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know. Just stirring the pot. :)

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Ridiculous, such a sweeping statement isn't even worth considering and bears no resemblance to reality whatsoever.

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm still worried the 4-foot model will not be up to the quality of the ILM images, but if Inner light has any of the newer FX (and I'd have to watch it to recollect if it did) we will find out soon enough. I'm willing to bet after the learning experience of the sample, they will apply whatthey need to do for the box set...this may include adding more CGI shots.

The opposite is in fact true...the categories back then included ALL TV productions, including mini-series and TV movies that had much bigger budgets, in this climate, the fact STNG did so well is quite a tribute. Starting in 1998, the Academy of TV Arts and Sciences split the category between the higher budget minis and tv movies, so tv shows would have their own award. Add to this Greg Jein built many models on STNG, and he was a multiple Oscar nominee and winner(including one of my favorites, the interstellar chandelier from Close Encounters). They couldn't have hired a better model maker.

Um...how is this different than any other TV show with FX from the pre-CGI proliferation era?? From the first season on there were time crunches.

This was expanded with the 4-foot model, which few people seem happy with. It remains to be seen how much work will go into adding a few shots for variety's sake.

I actually prefer the better CGI models of the E-D from different sources, the best being one not even used in the series. I understand why they are not switching to CGI, and I'm generally ok with it, most of the footage so far is great.

My biggest issue with STNG FX is the the scale!! This is one area I'd have liked changed above all else.

ABout the ENT model in TATV, gabriel says this:

So he used both models, but the lines of the 6 footer.

13. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Two more comparisons. Like before, the TNG remastered shots come courtesy of trekcore.com.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Jellyfish is so amazing. All that detail got totally lost in the original run? Or is the new one a CG enhancement?

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/94730

All the detail appears to have been there originally, just badly blurred and with lower contrast.

16. CorporalCaptain

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The PAL DVD version shows the same colour difference - perhaps it's an NTSC thing.

18. CorporalCaptain

NTSC - Not The Same Color!

But that old TrekCore screen cap I linked to does not show pink and blue space jellyfish, right? Although, I guess it could be a little pinkish.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My guess...there was a lot of detail unseen because of poor quality in the old version, but I would guess they enhanced it subtley as well.

20. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

IIRC I don't think The Inner light has any exterior FX at all, I think all the money was thrown at the alien village set and all of the shots of the probe were from the viewscreen.
    It might even explode at one point IIRC, but again that is shown from the viewscreen.

All you're going to get, exterior space wise is a bog standard stock shot of the 6ft model dropping out of warp and leaving again at the end of the ep....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.