The Amazing Spider-Man Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 24, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Amazing Spider-Man?

1. Excellent

33.8%
  2. Good

42.6%
  3. Fair

14.7%
  4. Poor

5.9%
  5. Terrible

2.9%
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Nothing I read there is encouraging. I'm still left with the same sense of ambivalence.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've read, the consensus appears to indicate that they should have just done Spidey 4, with the new cast.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yeah, but those are the negative reviews. The movie is still sitting at around 78% - 80% overall, with MOST critics saying the movie still works really well despite the rebooted storyline.

4. davejames

I loved the first two Raimi films, but by the end I thought his zany, campy style was starting to feel a bit tired and stale (even without the third movie's story problems).

I really longed for some deeper characters and a more realistic approach, and thankfully the new movie seems to be trying for that.

And from what I can see, the critics who actually LIKE the idea of a new approach (and aren't still attached to the Raimi style) seem to be liking the movie a lot more.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently, you failed to notice my link to an article that said critics were divided, with some saying positive things about the film. Furthermore, the last link was to a positive review as well. Of course, part of the reason that critic liked the film was because it "Twilighted" Spidey to make it more appealing to teenaged girls.

6. davejames

Yeah I saw that, but I don't know if I would call 80% "divided down the middle."

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I could have lived with that, even though I wasn't very impressed with the first three (although the second one had its moments).

I'm not big on reboots but this at least looks better than its predecessors. Fingers crossed...

PS - there's talk of cross licensing Spidey into Avengers universe !

8. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Count me as another that will eventually see the film but not overly excited.

For me one the first things I noticed was the gawd awful ugly suit and that kind of just stuck in my craw.
    The second was another re-boot, why? just call it Spidey 4 and be done with it.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This.
    As noted they should've called this Spider-man 4 and kept the Raimi continuity in check. Enough of the main players are already in place for "Pete's sake"!!

The Deadline article praises the overseas $50m opening but states that tracking in the States is flat.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This evening I popped in Spider-Man (2002) DVD and watched this after not seeing it for some years.

I loved it all over again. I even found Kirsten Dunst acceptable whereas before not so much. If I look at her portrayal of MJ in terms of how Peter sees her as opposed to how I see her then it works.

My only quibbles production wise were the same ones I had when the film was released, and they're minor. The scenes where Peter makes his first leaps across rooftops just doesn't look right. After that I don't have any problems with it. Certainly some of the acrobatic scenes still gave me a touch of vertigo. :lol: Also the Goblins suit didn't really work for me. I understand not going with the original comics' design, but I sill think something better could have been done.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sony wanted a clean break from Rami and his continuity, which is why they came up with the reboot and decided not to hire another director to carry on the Rami'Verse. The alleged leaked treatment for "Spider-Man 4" was horrid. Essentially it would have turned out to be basically "Spider-Man 3.5" which was what a lot of fans were calling it anyways at the time. It would have potentially turned out to be the Spider-Man equivalent of "Batman and Robin" which was something Sony wanted to avoid big time.

Marc Webb interview. He's joking about Mime :)

http://collider.com/amazing-spider-man-sequel/177106/

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hmm, this is rather cutting.

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm seeing it tonight. It better be amazing.

Or else.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

What if it's spectacular? Or sensational? :p

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Ultimate! :)

16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or FRIENDLY?

17. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Or Web Of... ish? Damn you guys! You got all the good titles! ;)

18. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I saw it tonight but only because we had free tickets and got to laugh at the people sitting in line for hours for a midnight showing. Seriously, was it that anticipated of a film? These people were camped out for a long time.

It was okay. It made me feel old. I didn't like the Peter Parker character and I didn't like his girlfriend. She was completely ridiculous, as a person like that would clearly never exist. There was also way too much cheese for me in the movie. Is Spiderman just a really cheesy franchise though? Feels like it.

I love how they glossed over the suit making. Nice sewing and crafting skills Peter! Do you secretly lurk on the Etsy forums?

The fact that it was a reboot so close to the previous films also made for an awkward viewing experience. There were a ton of points that jogged up images and lines from the previous incarnation.

I'll end on a good note (because it really wasn't a bad movie). Normally I hate 3D and the glasses but these were comfortable and I enjoyed some of the scenes of him zipping around the city quite a bit. Especially the nighttime scenes.

19. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Well, just got finished seeing it and I loved it. Consider me pleasantly surprised, I would have bet money that it would suck. The audience seemed to have been pleased as well

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Roger Ebert gives it *** 1/2 out of **** stars. This is from his opening paragraph: