Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Godless Raven, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You might like "Acquisition" then (with the unidentified short, greedy aliens with huge ears). I watched it again last night and Trip spends the first 20 minutes running around in his blue underwear.

2. Defiant Obrien

Defiant Obrien Lieutenant

I disagree! I think picard would have advocated tuvix as his own being and capable of making his own choice. Im actually surprised Janeway went so hitler on him.

Shows the difference in maturity between her and picard (and even Sisko).. Her pompousness is one of the reasons I was never a big fan of voyager.

There were several episodes when I was like "Who does this !@#!@# think she is???"

3. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Godwin rule is that this is something that must happen, not that this is reason to end everything... Besides that would mean that any thread about the Killing Game, Patterns of force, or Stormfront would have to be locked from the first post.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard would have accepted Tuvix as his own being. Which is why he'd trump out the Picard Speech to persuade him to do so of his own violation instead of just forcibly performing the procedure. But if Tuvix did refuse, I think Picard would've reluctantly honored that.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Actually that was one of the biggest flaws of ENT. I felt so embarrassed to be a Trek fans while watching that series because of how many near naked bodies and decon scenes thrown at our faces. :sigh:

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. All that random nudity just seemed as artificial as... well dare I say it, T'Pol's boobs. If I wanted random nudity and sexiness I'd just go for the real thing instead of a sci-fi show.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well we all know Trekkies are scared of nudity and sex.

9. Guy Gardener

I always thought that Trekkies were scarred by nudity and sex.

10. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Several of the classic Sci-fi novels feature random sex scenes.

11. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pilot ep: "She's the Captain."

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another era, where random sex scenes made you cutting edge.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There was nothing sexy about those scenes. They were all embarrassingly juvenile. It felt like they were written by 15 year old.

Trek has never handled sex well, mostly it always comes off as a joke.

14. teacake

Yep. That's why subtext is better. Though I didn't exactly mind NuKirk in bed with Gaila, that was fun and normal.

This is the sexiest scene Trek ever did IMO, or rather the only sexy scene Trek ever did.

[​IMG]

15. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

The fifteen year old male was the target demographic of the Trek producers.

"Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for Star Trek, the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to." - Kate Mulgrew

16. teacake

I don't know what the heck is wrong with Trek writers that they found it completely impossible to write "smart and sexy".

Someone will now remind me that Star Trek is "a family show".

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Except in 1966, when I was a fifteen year old male.

18. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

And yep you are right, TOS was hitting all the "right" demographics and was canceled because at that time the networks were only looking at total numbers. When they finally switched over to "demographics" they discovered that they had canceled the wrong show. This was about the same time that CBS discovered all their widely watched shows were appealing to older people and they canceled really popular TV shows because the "demographic" that advertisers wanted were young people not the older ones that watched CBS.

In 1966, when you were fifteen and I was nineteen, the viewers of TOS were the "perfect" demographic and the networks didn't know it.

19. Guy Gardener

In 1966 my mother was 11.

A couple years later, and I do mean a couple, by the time she discovered beer, I think that she forgot that television existed.

20. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This. I understand the moral and ethical issue with the whole Tuvix thing, but I don't think I'd be able to write Tuvok and Neelix off as dead if there was a way to get them back. They have the right to have their lives back.