STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I admit, I laughed. But Pine did impress me more as the movie went on.

All of the characters had their little moment of awesome, and it was nice to see them all get some good screen time.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a scene toward the end of the movie where Pine's in the command chair, and he looks up at Spock, and I swear for just a moment, Pine is channeling Shatner's Kirk. It was a great moment, and I'll have to check it out when the DVD is released, which isn't soon enough.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Is it just me or does Quinto seem to be getting a little doughy? :lol:

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Did they ever finish writing the script for Into Darkness?

(after a delay)

5. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

And Chekov was assigned to the Reliant.

By the way, did Khan see Chekov in this movie?

6. Amaris

I don't think he did. By the time Khan came along, Chekov was already in engineering.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not just you.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hmm, which was the theory proposed for Space Seed that when Khan was roaming the ship he bumped into Chekov below decks.

9. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

So, if Cumberbatch comes back, the first person he sees should be Chekov. He'll say, "You look familiar. I never forget a face. Mr. Chekov, isn't it?"

Maybe with all that's been going on in his life, Spock is hitting the plomeek soup a little too hard.

That reminds me, I heard Pine say on Letterman that he put on twenty pounds to play Kirk after running into Abrams at a party a few months before shooting. Abrams told by him that he needed to bulk up and get ready.
    He had lost it all by his appearance on Letterman. He's thin as a rail, and topped it off by wearing a promintently pinstriped suit.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  10. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, your decision not to see the movie now it has reached your area renders your impressions about whether aspects of the movie work on not completely irrelevant.

You have suppositions, inferences, third-hand impressions. I'm not trying to be rude. I speak from experience. There were many many things I was concerned about before I saw the movie -- Spock and Uhura's characters, Kirk's character, the downgrading of McCoy, the elevation of action over character, Abrams "Starwarsification" of the franchise, the loss of that "Trek" feeling. Now, I'm eating hat.

You may or may not like it. There are some legitimate criticisms to be made. Some things work better than others. Some aspects are brilliant. Others... not so much. But you're not even giving yourself a chance. What if you eventually watch it from the library on your telly and find there are some aspects you enjoy. You'll have robbed yourself of the change to see it on the big screen with a crowd all cheering, laughing, groaning, sniffling. You're missing the whole experience.

But, of course it's up to you.

11. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For some reason, if Khan returns and runs into Chekov, I could see the following exchange:

Chekov: "It's.....KHAN!"
    Khan: "Just who the hell are you?"

12. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Read further back and see what triggered that entire exchange. I posted a quote I found humorous which makes fun of the film. And one of the supporters pounced.

As for seeing the film, I have enough info to know I will not like it. I'll rip it apart after I see the library's Blu-Ray copy in 6 months.

13. Amaris

See, I don't get this. You already "know" you're going to hate the movie, and yet in six months, when the movie comes out on disc, you're going to "rip it apart." It's like all you seek to do is tear down what someone else created, and you don't even know what they've created, because you already "know" that you won't like it. I mean, it's your money to waste, but it just doesn't make any sense. How can you hate something you've never seen, and look forward to hating it once you see it?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

And if you do like it, you'll never admit it in a million years. You've decided it's a bad movie no matter what and won't be wrong.

15. ConRefit79

Apparently I'm not qualified to comment on it if I don't see it. Even though from what I've read, I don't like the story. It's the story that counts. All the acting and FX in the world cannot save the story for me. And there will be no money involved, cause I'm borrowing it.

16. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

:rommie: Oh man, you had me going there for a sec! I was like.... whaaaaaa?

17. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I guess some people CAN wait to hate this movie.

I stand corrected.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I read all the spoilers, thought it was going to be a diasaster and went in expecting the worst but loved it.

19. ConRefit79

If I end up liking it, I'll be man enough to admit it.

20. Amaris

That makes sense.

Stories don't exist in a vacuum. A story treatment alone doesn't make allowances for execution, direction, production value, acting sequences, or anything else. It's like saying that you don't like sex, and will never like sex because the description doesn't seem appealing, even though you've never had it.