3 Possibilities for Series VI

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by marknetprod, Sep 18, 2008.

1. marknetprod

marknetprod Ensign Newbie

Ideas for Series VI

A 25th Century based Trek Series involving a Timeship pursuing another Timeship which alters the past from TOS on up! Which could open up possibilities of alternate realities AND exploration of worlds mentioned
    but not shown.

A late 23rd century era (post Generations) based Series on a Excelsior-class starship exploring new territories, similar to TOS. Maybe Enterprise-B based!

Late 24th Century era (post Nemesis) based Series on a starship that docks with a space station, a combo of DS9 and TNG type of stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for amateur actors and writers willing to donate their time and energy for a Trek podcast series, Radio Drama style. If you are interested, contact me at hudsonman35@gmail.com.

Markus Henry McLaughlin
    marknetproductions.wordpress.com
    Hudson, MA, USA

2. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

None of these ideas are very good.

I'm sick of anything that remotely smacks of time travel in Star Trek.

The other two aren't that much better.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Time travel is hard to do, but not impossible. Wrong way to do it: ENT. Right way (or one right way) to do it: Lost.

The other two ideas are not fleshed out enough to know what is different or interesting about them. ENT explored new territories and it was boring. Docking at a space station is not inherently interesting.

My bet is still that Bryan Fuller's idea will win out - the next series will key off Trek XI's success, set in the 23rd C - if it's not a success, no series anyway - but will probably not involve the TOS crew because those actors might not want to do a regular series, having become movie stars. A special cameo episode every so often would be more likely.

A good 23rd-C based cast could grab the public attention even if the characters are mostly new. The TOS cast continues with movies and the movies and TV series bolster each other PR-wise.

4. cwalrus2

cwalrus2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It sounds like Fuller's keen on doing a 23rd century show, but I think Star Trek has to go in the opposite direction and look towards the future instead of filling in the gaps of the past (let the trek novels do that- they usually do a better job anyway). They should set a new tv show in the 26th century and throw the Roddenberry rules for TNG out the window and just start fresh. There's a history there that the franchise has to respect, but it has to make itself unique and original again and they can't do that if you follow the same formula time and time again.

5. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

The third option seems to be the best of them all to me.

6. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Here's a crazy idea. I remember hearing someone either on the show or one of my talks with various fellow trekkies and trekkers, that if the ships could talk they would have many stories to tell. Weather these stories are of any real interest or just the big E's bathroom gossip, who knows. but it still might be interesting.

7. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

At risk of repeating myself, IMHO TOS should stay at the theaters and TNG et.al. should stay on TV. TOS focuses mostly on 3 main characters, which is fine for an epic 2-hour movie. But TNG-style stories deal with ensamble casts and their relationships with each other and perpheral characters, which is better handled as episodic TV. If STXI is successful, I figure we'll see at least 2 sequels. With that kind of interest generated among teens and adults, a CGI TV series could attract them and kids, which opens up a huge market for toys. I'm hoping for a 25th century setting with only a few know characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY.

For as long as I can recall, everytime I went into a toy store there were Star Wars toys on the shelves. Toy makers are always coming out with a new board games, video games, action figures, ships, weapons, etc. There were only 6 live action movies and now one CGI film yet every kid knows about SW. The same could be said about Batman merchandice. With that franchise, though, there have been numerous itterations and continuity meant nothing between them. Trek had a time during the 90s when everytime you turned around there was some new toy, game, or collectible. I miss that. I'm hoping STXI makes Trek as accessible as SW is to so many people of all ages.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Make the station a border outpost in a rough neighborhood, and the starship some sort of border-patrol cutter and mnaybe you got something here.

9. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's only "the past" from the perspective of long-time fans: it's all "the future" to everyone else.

10. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I'm convinced that 25th Century series set aboard the USS Enterprise-G (or later, with a later letter) is the best way to go.

11. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like to see the next series take place in the late 24th century (post Nemesis) to finish off the rest of the century (not just the 6th series but also the 7th series too) and then have the newer series be in the start of the 25th century and onward.

It would be nice to see a Enterprise B series to fill in the 70 years gap (The B series would have to be like 2323 to 2329 or 2324 to 2330..although, we don't know when it was decomissioned or destroyed so that might change lol ) and also a Enterprise C series (Although, we don't know excatly when the C was commisioned but at least we know that the Ambassador Class ships came in the 2330's). I also thought of a Stargazer series (somewhere between 2333 and 2355).

I like to see a Nebula Class series in the mid-late 2350's (since the Nebula Class ships were commisioned around then) and I'm sure many of us like to see that.

12. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

Please - NO MORE TIME TRAVEL!!! That killed Enterprise in my book. Temporal Cold War - what a bunch of hooey.

13. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

That was the ONE thing I didn't like about Enterprise.

14. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Well, given my opinon on "Star Trek," the reboot, I really don't care for the notion of any new series based on that movie.

Having said that, it always seemed to me that Insurrection, which many people said felt more like a 2-part TNG episode than a real movie might have been better considered as a pilot.

The notion of a rift within the federation and perhaps even a federation civil war always seemed like an interesting way to go.

Might give some of the characters from the TNG-era shows a chance to follow up, or at least do some cameos.

Might also be interresting if the "bad" side of the federation were to infiltrate the good side using some of the mirror universe versions we saw so much of during DS9.

Beyond that, like I said, nothing based on the movie, and, as others have said, lay off of the time travel.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd reboot Voyager with a whole new cast, either get rid of Neelix or do some serious changes to his character, and actually follow through with the premise.

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Phase II with older Kirks and Spocks.

17. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I would also agree that another Trek series should be further in the future (post-Nemesis). We've already endured a prequel and TOS era should be left alone. Adherence to canon should be a hell of a lot easier with a new new show.

I don't have any good ideas on some new twist though...

18. Mirror_Barclay

Mirror_Barclay Commander Red Shirt

I think that's a good distinction. An ensemble cast takes advantage of what TV can do better than any other medium.

I'm not opposed to bringing on a character or two from previous 25th century Trek, but I'm not sure who there is who would bring a lot of fans or media attention, but whose stories haven't been fully explored. I'm not a huge fan of Riker (whose name gets tossed around by some fans for captaining the next series); I'd love to see more of Ezri, but how many people would know who that is?

19. cybersoldier

cybersoldier Commander Red Shirt

If trek was in better shape perhaps one of those ideas might work, but we are more than likely getting a TOS reboot series question is going to be whether or not the cast for the TOS- reboot films are going to do a TOS series

20. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

How about a Trek universe anthology? Something that dips into different times and places along the way. It would enable us to see familiar faces and new ones.