The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Aron Ralston managed a similar feat, and he didn't have anything nearby with which to close the wound. Had he not been rescued when he was, Ralston WOULD have bled to death, and then we wouldn't have the movie 127 Hours. Merle at least had the fortune of locating a Bunsen burner.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm catching up on the last two eps before the midseason break.

Right after the scene where Michonne kills the crazy guy in the cabin and they throw his newly dead body to the walkers (who graphically devour same), the show cuts to commercial: "'The Walking Dead,' brought to you by KFC...where fresh is better."

:lol:

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IGN wrote about that here.

Maybe this was why Glen Mazzara was fired? :p

Reminds me of this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjCLmOMU84[/yt]

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I was not the first person to notice that.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, I got a big kick out of that. I'm surprised at the sponsor's reaction, though. Whatever happened to "any publicity is good publicity?" :rommie:

Maybe only vegetarian food producers should sponsor the show. :D

6. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Exactly what did these people expect Daryl to do? They acted shocked that he went with Merle. No, they can't have Merle amongst them but seriously....talk about a rock and a hard place.

And they need Daryl now that Rick is taking the road to the hallucinatory funny farm and Glenn is in avenging mode. Herschel's very wise but the poor man being without a leg makes leadership a bit problematic in a post apocalyptic world. They don't know Tyrese well enough. If Andrea were there, she'd try to level things out. She was actually making sense. Merle would try to take over if he were there.

Who's going to step into the power vaccuum while poor Rick is going kuckoo for cocoa puffs? Those visions of Lori aren't helping anything. Even in death, Lori causes problems. :lol: Daryl actually would have been the best candidate.

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I hope they resolve how to handle Daryl because a significant portion of the fans love his character.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am sure we haven't seen the last of Daryl. My guess is his story arc will be about the true meaning of family, and that it's not as much about who you share blood with, as who you shed blood with.

He's have to figure out who his family is on his own. But will Carol still available when he returns?

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

We see a bunch of Darryl in the preview for next weeks episode.

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty standard episode, actually it was a bit dull in parts I have to say, esp after the mid-season wait for it. Just let Tyresse and Michonne be a part of the team already, I'm getting bored

11. DarthTom

Part of the problem IMO with the long term sustainability of this show is I'm starting to get the 'rinse repeat,' sense on the plots. People will start to get bored if there isn't more of a mission for the group to complete.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The entire time they were fighting about letting Merle come with them I kept thinking "guys, you're going to a prison - a prison. lock him in a cell when you get there".

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I think Rick made the right call when it came to refusing to let Merle back into the group. Five minutes into the rendezvous in the woods and Merle was already stirring up trouble and picking fights with everyone in sight. Let's not forget, there was a reason Rick had to handcuff him to that rooftop in the first place . . . .

And regarding Tyrese's group . . . well, at least two of the newcomers were already plotting to seize control of the prison, so Rick's not entirely wrong in suspecting that these strangers could pose a danger to Carl and the others.

14. DarthTom

I doubt that Daryl would have considered that an acceptable compromise.

15. Dorian Thompson

Rick has it tough, no doubt. There's no one wholly right decision or path. Rick's erring on the side of caution, which is completely understandable. Rick's suffering because he still feels and still possesses a conscience. I'm not saying I would let Merle come back either--only that Darryl was caught in an impossible situation. Like him or not, Merle is his brother and he raised him. It's going to be impossible for Daryl to just leave him on the side of the road in a walker infested world without seeing direct evidence of treachery.
    TPTB aren't stupid. They're not letting go of Norman Reedus.

No lie. Just putting Merle, the brother of a group member, in a cell is still a security risk. Merle would be working on Daryl 24/7 to let him out.

16. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I would have liked to see Alan and Ben try and take away Carl's gun. Do they forget that this kid kept his head and rescued them from a walker infested prison?

Tyreese would have been digging three graves.

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank the episodic nature of the source, even if the TV series is not adapting every plot panel by panel.

Daryl has to learn the hard way about what makes a family; Glenn telling him that the group is family should have meant something to him--along with the fact that extreme personalities (Merle, Shane, the two jail punks) have never worked out well.

Patterns count, and Merle follows a form of it that will only lead to more tragedy for Daryl, and likely cut a permanent rift between the group and himself.

Rick's loony syndrome/guilt must end soon; it was explored enough with his "Rick the Barbarian" initial reaction, and the imagined phone call, so it just seems like a cheap way to have his guard down when enemies come calling.

18. Dorian Thompson

It's only been a week in show time since his wife died. His son had to shoot her. Members of his group are dying; he's not sleeping well, under constant stress and having to put aside this major traumatic loss in his life which, for some reason, he feels responsible because he didn't reconcile with the disloyal thing. How quickly can a person bounce back? There's the crushing guilt for killing Shane as well. Personally I think Rick deserved better friends and family but for some reason the character loved them. :lol:

More people would probably be like Rick in that situation than be "normal."

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did everyone cheer a little when Daryl grabbed the crossbow?

20. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To paraphrase Kevin Smith in "Talking Dead" afterwards, it's like the moment where Indiana Jones reaches back to grab his hat right before the stone door slams shut. Classic Darryl. :)

Mark