The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Carl's in for some fun. The kid he shot was the asthmatic son of the survivor of the massacre. Can't wait till she finds out.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I do.

I thought this was a great finale. It was a great conclusion to this part of the story-- much better than a forced cliffhanger. Rick is no longer seeing Lori and the sun rises on a new day at the prison. The Governor is still alive, but his town is dead and he's stuck with two guys that are pretty dubious about him. I knew Milton was doomed, but I was kind of surprised that Andrea died (poor Andrea and poor Michonne)-- and I was relieved that Herschel and Tyreese's sister are still among the living.

This continues to be one of the best shows ever.

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since she followed the governor on a raid onto their home I don't know what right she has to complain about them defending themselves.

Edit: I need to quote more lol

And I'm glad to see that some people still actually enjoy the show . Lately no one seems to have anything good to say about it.

4. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

The exec producer, Gale Hurd was quoted in the LA Times today sayig that season 4 would focus more on the present danger -- i.e., zombie attacks. FWIW, Hurd also said that Mazzaro left because negotiations for a new contract didn't work out (paraphrasing).

I hope this isn't true. Too many zombie attacks, which I find boring after a while, is what drove me away from the show at the end of season 2. The season 3 head butting with the Governor and Woodbury made WD must-see TV for me. Although I agree that unless they can come up with some fresh angle, the Governor's storyline has pretty much played out other than how he will die.

Anyway, I much prefer the human conflict over zombie conflict. Better the walkers be used as a backdrop against the human storylines.

Hurd said something else that really surprised and intrigued me, that "The Walking Dead" was a reference not to the walkers but to the humans who are left. I'm sure you vets of the show and the comic knew this, but it was news to me.

5. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hope the little psycho is killed next season.

6. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Was anybody killed by a walker in this episode? I can't remember one. Was it just people killing people?

I think Carl has already independently discovered the Governor's expression of wisdom; "You kill or you die..."

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Technically speaking, Andrea was killed by a walker.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

This was the thinking of the writers, too. Robert Kirkman raised the same points in reply to that question from TV Line.

Was that the gun on the back of one of the Woodbury trucks? If so, it was still at the prison at the end of the episode. The truck drove over a spike strip during the attack, forcing them to leave it behind.

Mazzara himself said in interviews before this season started that the prison, at the very least, would remain through season four.

Yes, Mazzara's contract expired, so he wasn't fired. Considering AMC's reputation with showrunners, he probably wasn't satisfied with the amount of control he was given over the show.

It wasn't the first time Beth had killed a walker. Poor girl keeps getting underestimated. ;)

Also, Tyreese's sister is Sasha.

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

But the series is not the rest of AMC's lineup--the series is about "survival horror" (as Resident Evil is described), and if the walkers simply become wallpaper, the horror disappears.

Season two's big moments centered on zombie attacks, or their effect on the group: Sophia's fate, Dale's death, Shane wounding Otis, and the mass zombie attack which closed the season.

There's no horror in psychpaths; they're just annoying, and you want them to die quickly, as in the case of Shane and the Governor.

10. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I listened to it again and it is thin, tinny and has little bounces at the end. Not a two-pound steel revolver hitting the deck. AND there's a metallic sound along with the shot, like an action working. Tsk, tsk.

You're right, I lost it in the first viewing but they did abandon it there.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still enjoying it as much as ever. Unlike others, I've never really had a need for the writing to be as strong as that of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or something. I mean, we're talking about a zombie show based on a comic book here.

Even if some episodes might drag a bit more than others, I still find the world itself more than interesting enough to make up for it. And overall I think the writers have done a pretty solid job showing what life during the zombie apocalypse might actually feel like, and showing all the different and unpredictable ways people might react to it.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was unsure/curious enough to search something out about this and, if you can believe it, found a site devoted to vehicles of The Walking Dead

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Vehicles

The Humvee was carrying the .50 and you are right, it stuck on the spikes. Also according to them it "jammed" during the assault, but I don't remember that happening. (thank god for ODV) Anyway, HUGH asset for them if they can get it functioning again.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ It jammed during the retreat out of the prison. One of the Woodburyians jumped on the back of the truck and starting to panic as it jammed. I'm not certain but I think he was shot by Glenn or Maggie as he was trying to get the weapon working.

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, so NONE of my predictions came true. I was pretty sad to see Milton go, I would've liked to have seen him join the prison group. I'm wondering where they're going to go with the Governor next season. Maybe he'll run into that violent group the dude in the bar was telling Rick about last year? Maybe he'll go even MORE batshit crazy and start up a religious cult ala Gul Dukat.

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was Alan, when he couldn't clear the jam he piled in to the other truck and escaped.

16. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I loved the finale. PLenty of people loved it. TWD is a classic case of the internet community not being the gospel of how the show is perceived. I know so many fans, few of whom go on line regularly to post about it. They all love the characterization. It's the fact that it's not all zombie attacks that they love. That's why the show does so well in the ratings. Sure, the MTV attention span crowd thinks it's boring but who cares?

At the risk of sounding shippy, I wonder if Rick and Michonne will become lovers. They don't neceassarily have to be sappy and in love. They've got a surprisingly nice chemistry.

17. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I certainly don't care about your superior attitude and dismissing critics of the show as the "MTV attention span crowd".

Of course you're right that the internet community is not the gospel, but neither is the group of people you meet in real life.

I don't need zombie action all the time, I like good characterization and talky scenes but the Walking Dead doesn't offer that most of the time.
    My favorite scenes of sundays third season premiere of Game of Thrones are people sitting at tables and talking to each other, almost the entire episode consisted of people sitting, standing or walking and talking to each other and it was awesome from start to finish.

18. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yeah, you read posts on a board at imdb about TWD and see if you don't get a little dismissive. :cool: I have some legitimate gripes about the show myself, but yes....some of the critiques I've read are missing the point for some, IMO, very superficial reasons. Mr. "nobody would fuck after the apocalypse because girls couldn't get Brazilian waxes" came from that board. :lol: It's like a car wreck you can't look away from.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

You should care, because this is not the other AMC series--it is a horror series. It would not exist without the gruesome main subject of cannibal dead people. Reduce that, and one may as well watch any other cable drama. It makes one wonder why they (not you) seem to want TWD to be something it is not--almost as though they really resent fantasy concepts so much, that they want the series to be just another talking head show.

There's plenty of that all over TV without TWD becoming just another face in that crowd.

Anything is possible, but I see them becoming close war /best friends--like his growing relationship with Daryl.

20. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are plenty of zombie attacks. This year we started seeing people using the zombies for their own needs. I found that pretty interesting. While I'd agree we need the zombies for it to qualify as a zombie show, it would get boring if it was nothing but zombies attacking all the time. It's no fun if we don't jump a little at the zombies.