Just Watched for 1st Time Ever!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by TrekAlliance92, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

Hello all!

I'm a long time Star Trek fan (I love all of the series) and since Enterprise ended, I've been hoping for some upbeat, fun series to watch--especially in sci-fi or fantasy. I've found some great ones in animation (Clone Wars, Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes and the awesome My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic), but some friends of mine recommended Doctor Who as a series I'd like.

So, today, I watched "Rose" (starring Christopher Eccleston) of the most modern series...and I think I'm really going to enjoy it!

It struck a very fun chord with me. Living plastic using mannequins to take over the world? Time travel? A spaceship (?) that is bigger on the inside than the outside? Over-the-top reactions from citizens to "monsters?" Yes, please.

I also liked the line about humanity's potential for "so much more." Any pro-humanity vibe in TV is rare, and I relish it.

The actors are good, with some funny banter. And, the special effects kind of have the Power Rangers charm of being taken seriously, but not being big-budget. I particularly like the score in the episode as well.

I'm definitely going to keep watching, and if you guys don't mind, I'll post my reactions throughout here.

To be clear, this is the very first of any Doctor Who I've ever seen. But, it definitely won't be the last.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grand-daddy of TV Sci-Fi shows, that have kept kids (and adults) entertained in the UK for generations.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Yea, please do that! I love reading first time viewers reactions.:techman:

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just saw "Rose" the other day and the special effects get a LOT better they don't usually look that dodgy! And the first two parter is not representative of the series :lol:

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Rose is a great jumping-on point. not the best story, but very good at doing what it set out to do.

6. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I just started watching NuWho for the first time a month or so ago and you are in for a great ride. I have just started series 5 and there was only one episode from the RTD era that I didn't like.

7. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

If you're going to watch any episode out-of-order, may I recommend "Dalek"? One of my absolute favorites in season 1, it sold me on the entire series. Just don't read the episode description on Netflix. Never, ever read those, sometimes they can spoil a good 3/4's of an episode.

8. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, do yourself a favor and avoid the ""Next Time..." trailer at the end of "Boom Town" (episode 11). Someone at the BBC decided to completely spoil the baddie in the season finale.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Or in fact save yourself and skip Boom Town...

Oh, the Next Time trailer at the end of Fear Her also spoilers the big twist in season 2's 2-part finale, so you might want to skip that too when time comes. (or indeed the episode, again)

10. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Alternatively, maybe we should all keep an open mind, accept the possibility that different people like different things and try not to poison the well, as tempting as that may be.

11. Cutter John

Its not a classic, but worth watching once. It was nice seeing the Doctor and companions paling around in the Tardis, and I rather enjoyed the silly scene in the restaurant. Doesn't it also introduce the time rift?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Technically, a previous episode introduced it, but it did establish it in modern times.

I, too, started with "Rose," but back when Sci-Fi first aired it back in 2006. Six years later and I'm still in love with the show!

13. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

+1, I actually rather liked Fear Her. Not the best episode of Season 2, but not worth skipping.

14. Cutter John

Both Fear Her, and The Idiots Lantern fall into the same category as classic Who's Underworld. Even after watching you barely remember anything about them.

15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

These threads are fun in that they remind us exactly why we liked the show the first time around. :)

16. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started watching Doctor Who for the first time a few weeks ago. Watched a few episodes from the original series and the beginning of the new one, but didn't really start enjoying until the Tenth Doctor. My favorite episodes so far have been the two-parter, "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood", and "Smith and Jones". Yes, all Season 3 with Martha.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hi Tora Ziyal, nice to see you on this side of the tracks.

Welcome to all the awesomeness that is Dcotor Who :bolian:

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Thanks, Sindatur.

19. TrekAlliance92

TrekAlliance92 Captain Captain

Thanks for all of the responses and encouragement! I just watched the second episode today, "The End of the World"

The premise was definitely interesting and one I hadn't seen before. As a general observation, I quite liked the variety of different aliens--as someone who's used to Trek's "funny foreheads" (doesn't take away from my love of Trek, just an observation). Still, that's rather primitive technology for 5 million years from now, huh? :P

There were lots of funny bits throughout the episode. The psychic paper is definitely a new one. I also got a kick out of The Doctor laughing and smiling at all of the different aliens, gifts, etc.

I liked the explanation of the translation. It really fits well with the tone of the show as a whole.

There was some good tension in the episode--but again the humor shines through with Rose about to be burned and the Doctor resigned, "Oh, it would be you."

My favorite character in this episode was the plant alien. A pity she had to burn. I liked her interactions with the Doctor--flirty and emotional.

There was also some interesting backstory about the Doctor. Last of his kind--interesting. I thought it was going be a downer ending, but the "Chips" bit was nice.

Next Week: Going back in time? Supernatural-type deal? Hmm...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012