Russia reports amazing meteorite strike

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jmc247, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jmc247

jmc247 Vice Admiral Admiral

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a hard time believing that video is real. The reflection on the ground... it's both mystifying and terrifying.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If real, and the videos looked pretty real to me, the timing of this is a bit disturbing.

4. ALF

I can't imagine what I would feel if I glanced out the window to see a flaming rock that size hurling itself towards me. What are the odds it hit any populated areas? Russia is both lucky and unlucky all at once; they have a huge land mass which is sparsely populated.

None of the other news agencies seem to have picked up on this. I have a feeling that image (if real) is going to be widely circulated tomorrow.

5. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus that blast wave, pretty damn impressive...

Lots of independent youtube vids up right now. A real phenomenon, but what it was is still open.

6. ALF

These ones look as legit as the others.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUBVjwteQ30
    Now I have to bring up the other question in mind... is it customary to drive in Russia with a recording device on your dash?

Another drive by...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRIBNAJRI

This one has chilling audio... you can really hear it land close by!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Os9T4R7Oo

Would it be the first time in recorded history that this has happened on a major scale? I found a very short list of recorded injuries, there are only 10 for the entire 20th century alone:
    http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/06/reported-deaths.html

7. jmc247

I have been known here in the U.S. when I see or hear something that might be a meteor (usually it isn't) do something along those lines. I have never seen anything in the league of that scale though. At best I have seen shooting stars. Oh and I do it in such a way to avoid danger to myself and others.

It makes me wonder the odds of a few mile across space rock hit hitting Earth and if governments should invest more in tracking these rocks.

8. ALF

Holy shit! This one has the loud bang, car alarms going off, it's crazy. Seems like this one is in Chelyabinsk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOL5OiWTNI

A pretty major hole in the side of what looks like a factory.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZ0aA7RUhE

It's lookin' a little too Michael Bay for Valentine's Day. Hope me Russian peeps are safe and that the Kremlin has dispatched agents to assess Decepticon activity.

9. jmc247

Early reports from many many miles away from the possible impact site are reporting a large number of injuries already, the number is certain to grow.

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

11. sojourner

And yes, dashcams are "a thing" in Russia, bless them.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have they found a big hunk of it in the ground?

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

14. sojourner

Bad Astronomer says this is purely coincidence that this event occurred so close in time to the passing of 2102 DA14. I don't really like pure coincidence when dealing with astronomical scales. They tend to turn out not to be so purely coincidental.

Don't read me wrong. I don't go for conspiracy/wacko theories either. I just think it's way to early to write off as coincidence without further analysis.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You think it was launched?

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm guessing he's speculating that this meteor and today's scheduled near miss are part of a larger group, and he's worried that there may be more strikes.

This is pretty amazing. I hope none of those people were badly injured. It sounds like the injuries are just from windows that were shattered by the shock wave. This is going to be interesting....

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It is actually, from what I understand. Driving laws and rules in Russia are... dicey. So many drivers have recording devices on their dash in order to help officials know what happened in accidents to determine fault.

18. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nah, it's not possible, this meteorite was travelling at 30 kilometers a second and there's no known technology which can fire an object that fast.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

You and me both. My first thought was that this thing is/was a chunk of DA14 or maybe a tag along.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

From the numerous videos and news reports, it looks to me as though this meteorite entered the atmosphere travelling roughly east (from the direction of the rising sun) to west. 2012 DA14 will pass by the Earth travelling south to north.