Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Jun 30, 2011.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never much cared for this design, but you're doing a great job at reproducing it!

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It isn't the most graceful looking thing, but I do find it somewhat interesting. I rationalize it by imagining it's not a standard type of Starfleet design, that it's something Starfleet contracted from another Federation agency. It could be a design used more for other scientific or mining or resources agencies and Starfleet contracted a version adapted for their needs. I'd say the same could apply to all three TAS designs.

I actually rather like the general look of the way it is now with some of the sharper lines on it, but the original design had the side support struts merging more smoothly into the main body as well as the viewport bulkhead merging more smoothly into the upper bow so I'm presently trying to make that happen.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

4. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes, it's incremental progress, but it looks better and better with every post...

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The end is in sight. What's left are the signage and some detailing like the access hatch and a few other little things. I also have to get the lighting effects working to light the impulse engines.

[​IMG]

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

All the symmetrical work is done. All that's left now is the asymmetrical detailing such as registry, the access hatch and step plates and a few other bits.

[​IMG]

7. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Sweet!

8. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love where this is going. Great work, Warped9.:techman::techman:

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is the raw model (before rendering) pretty much done. I am working on a rudimentary interior even though you'd be able to see next to nothing, but at least it will give me something of a start when/if I get around to doing 2D cross sections of this.

[​IMG]

I had actually felt a bit daunted before tackling this design because of some of its unusual shapes, but it actually came off a lot easier then I had thought it would. Hmm, maybe I'm actually starting get the hang of this.

Anyway, I'm learning a lot and becoming more comfortable with SketchUp. It will make future models easier and particularly when I remake my version of the TAS scoutship.

Despite its size there isn't meant to be a whole lot of room inside this craft. It could often be manned by only two people although it could be fitted to accommodate four. It's essentially a flying laboratory/probe crammed with equipment to study extreme environments up close. On the TAS onscreen version there was something of a sensor dish thingy on the front which I thought looked awkward. So I rationalized that you could have swappable components depending on the mission profile. On my design I put more of a spar looking type of attachment. Also I've allowed for mission specific components to be attached at two other points on the hull. One point is that whitish rectangular panel on the sloping upper aft hull and the other is under the bow just rearward of the forward landing strut.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What you see here is an x-ray view of the craft showing the basic shape of the interior. The interior isn't finished yet because there has to be an elevated platform for the cockpit or the viewport would be totally useless (too high). So I want to add an elevated platform, a master control console and a couple of chairs. I might also add a few other bits to the interior. The lower aft area would be taken up by the impulse engines while the under deck area would be most of the rest of the ship's systems. The upper aft area as well as the bulk of the bow would be crammed with various sensors and analytical equipment.

[​IMG]

It is a standing interior although the access hatch might require you to duck a little. But you can clearly see I've scaled the ship down. The original TAS version was huge and the access hatch was easily two-thirds to a half the size of mine proportionately to the rest of the ship.

This gives you a sense of scale. The crewman is about 5'-10".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. Sarvek

Fantastic work! :techman::techman: I really like the idea of mission specific swapable components on the craft. This, in turn, would make it have more value as a craft attached to a starship and/or starbase. The craft could be used for different missions that needed it for a specific purpose. Once again, fantastic work! :techman::techman:

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here's the exterior. Stay tuned for a bit of the interior.

[​IMG]

13. Sarvek

Wow, I truly love the detail and this shuttle looks like we would see it in the show, great work. :techman::techman: What would really be cool, would be to see some of the components that could be attached to the craft and their specific purpose. This would add to more of the realism of the craft and its capabilities. Once again, great work! :techman::techman:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here is the basic interior (looking forward). What's missing is the access hatch on the left, but I also don't plan on putting too much more detail into this. It's primarily to visualize a sense of scale and configuration. I admit I didn't study screencaps of the interior from TAS too much and went mostly my memory, but when I go for a bit more detail I'll look at them again more closely. The chairs are my variation of the TOS shuttlecraft chairs. They're proportionately a bit more narrow and definitely more high-backed---with the originals you really were at risk of serious whiplash.. These chairs are stylized, but I did try to keep something of a TOS look to them.

[​IMG]

15. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

:techman:Great job! The TAS interior was quite "busy" IIRC. But that's what the imagination is for....

16. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic work. Well done indeed.

I always liked the varied TAS shuttles, they opened up whole new design ideas that we wouldn't see in TOS. They could have gone nuts, but they were not too out of place in the ST universe. If nothing else, they were interesting.

And now your work has brought them to life beyond what we got in TAS. Outstanding.

I like this particular shuttle. It always reminded me of a Gremlin. Considering the era, I suppose it's appropriate.

At the scale you've used, yes, it seems a bit on the small size as far as crew, perhaps only two persons. Only the center portion can accomodate people, the aft section lacks sufficient headroom. As far as the "hood" of the vehicle, I suppose mission equipment, certainly not passenger room.

I'm eager to see more great work on this...

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A bit more detail to finish it off.

[​IMG]

An X-ray and cross-section view.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty much done with this one except for some photomanips I'd like to try. After that, hmmm...aquashuttle, pre TOS cruiser, 22nd century star clipper or something else...

18. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

pre-TOS cruiser? 22nd century star clipper? something else?

Sounds like some Sternbach Spaceflight Chronology ships to me... :drool::drool::drool:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually for years I've had this idea for an online reference that I call the Starflight Catalog from the Starfleet Command Library. These shuttlecraft will eventually be part of it.

You can see some of the things I mentioned here.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A never seen TOS scene.

[​IMG]

It would be fun to put Harry Mudd and Christine Chapel in the image as well along with a large size dino of some kind. Hmm...