A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The Winds of Winter Alayne I (Sansa), a new preview chapter posted by GRRM, and the first new Sansa material since 2005.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it was the char speculated who factors into Jon Snows storyline it makes sense to me. You are going to have Stannis there already you have broken off one of the biggest (the main star of the show) in Tyrion into his own storyline. So you are fighting for screentime.

That's why I think we will continue to see established chars on the show start condensing into another chars storyline/replacing a new or lesser char from the books.

Dornes storyline and possibly the fake Arya storylines seem to be setting up that way.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Gold star for you.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Having read some posts from people who've seen screeners:
    The Winterfell story this season sounds completely nuts.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

For those of you with Verizon Fios, there is currently at $5/month for 12 months promotion going on. You can cancel any time without a penalty. A cheaper option to HBO Now if you just want HBO for a few months to watch GOT.

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

In case anyone missed it, Jon Stewart interviewed Peter Dinklage on the Daily Show last night.

7. Captaindemotion

8. Captaindemotion

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is everyone asleep?

(Or is there a better thread, where you're already squeeing?)

I'm about to start watching the fourth episode of season 5.

(Yes, the new season. Yes 4 episodes came out in one day that is today. No I didn't say it wrong. Pull your socks up.)

Hurry the #### up.

10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

To quote my girlfriend from 2 minute ago: "This is an uber-epic event. Hurry the fuck up and download."

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You switch out girlfriends every 2 minutes?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That sounds exhausting.

13. Captaindemotion

So, I've been told that

Jon's stabbing by the Night's Watch will take place in the season finale. Apparently the scene had to be filmed twice. The reason was that one of the actors playing one of the knifemen is a pretty big guy. After it was shot, Kit Harrington complained that he looked tiny compared to this guy. So the scene was reshot with a smaller actor playing the knife-wielder. Having met Kit and the actor who's part was deleted, I can imagine that the disparity would've been pretty glaring. I look small next to this guy but when I met Kit, he looked small next to me!

14. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

This seems silly to me because we all know..

Melisandre is just going to revive/save him anyway.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The TV audience hasn't been exposed to nearly as much magic as the readers have at this point though. If they do it well, the death can come as a (somewhat expected at this point) shock, and the resurrection can actually be surprising since every other major character that has died so far has stayed dead. Berric is barely even foreshadowing at this point with as little time as we spent with the Brotherhood.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...it will be a lot more of a shock with no Lady Stoneheart, for example.

17. Venardhi

No more little tweaks to the details and subplots here. With Sansa delivered into the hands of the Boltons as an apparent Trojan horse and Brienne following behind her, we're in very new territory for some major storylines.

Arya is really getting the short end of the stick here. They haven't diverged from her story but don't seem to be putting any effort into making it compelling.

Jon got a better scene but if this is how they're planning to handle his time as Lord Commander, the mutiny isn't going to come as much of a shock. He looked more like someone taking revenge on an enemy than a commander carrying out a needed duty to punish a traitor/deserter.

18. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

I, for one, liked the Sansa change. Everyone else, but Sansa, thought she was really getting married, so why not up the stakes and make it real. I guess her story line wasn't going anywhere in the books?

The same for Brienne. After losing both Starks and obviously going the wrong way on the hunt, I wondered how she would become relevant again. This is good.

I thought the execution was handled well. It could have been a bit better, maybe make Slynt a less apologetic, maybe make Jon a bit more nuanced - maybe this was the best take :shrug:

19. Venardhi

It is Arya who was supposedly being married to Ramsay in the books. This isn't necessarily a bad change, but it is certainly a big one. I wonder if it means the Ghost in Winterfell and her will be working together.

20. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

So far I like most of the changes from the books