A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

According to a French entertainment news website Omar Sy has been cast as Xhondo, so that's confirmation that Sam and company will start their travels next season.

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That was a hoax, per Sy himself on Twitter.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Ah, thanks for setting that straight. Kind of odd to have a hoax casting for such a minor character.

4. Drekstar

Drekstar Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

odd thing to say considering he has co-written two other novels in his writing career. Hunter's Run and Windhaven.

Although I certainly don't think someone else will be writing a large portion of Ice and Fire.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The lack of Arriane and Quentyn is conspicuous. Though it could mean they already have actors in mind.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I expect Jar Jar Binks to show up before Quentyn Martell. There is absolutely no way that pointless storyline will be adapted for television.

8. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I think that storyline is very important.

The Martell symbol is a sun pierced by a spear. Quentyn Martell was born in Westeros (rose in the west) and died in Essos (set in the east). Quentyn Martell's death fulfills Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy, meaning Daenerys is no longer barren.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

And no Iron born characters in the casting breakdown either?

10. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So you're saying she's taking the Obi Wan Kenobi tact regarding Anakin Skywalker being "killed" by Darth Vader, from a "certain point of view"? Makes sense if they want to keep the reveal secret.

Ah - did not know that, thank you...
    They're going to need to do something with that character for the next 3 seasons, after having found 3-eye so quickly. I suspect experiencing historical flashbacks or seeing what's going on in the world (where there are ravens and heart trees to be found) is all Bran can do from this point forward, unless they somehow give him some active role in antagonizing the Others and the Others' god with his new-found powers, effectively becoming an ally to R'hllor.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I thought much the same. Seems odd.

Incidentally, if they ever did a prequel series or film, the actress who played Michelle Fairley's daughter in 24 would be perfect for young Catelyn.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The biggest question marks as to whether they'll be included next season, or at all, are Lady Stoneheart, Aegon, Jon Connington, Euron Greyjoy, Victarion Greyjoy, Aeron Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Quentyn Martell, and Val.

13. 137th Gebirg

Probably for the same reason why they haven't introduced Stoneheart yet. I suspect that, if they're going to address something like these particular story items, they aren't going to peacemeal them into the series, especially since they only have 10 hours of showtime to work with. The story is already quite complex, especially for a TV format. If they were to throw in a whole bunch of little disjointed scenes that have no real pay-out or resolution by the end of a season, most viewers might scratch their heads and say "what about X, Y and Z???"

Case in point: I remember, during Nu-Battlestar Galactica's run, they would randomly throw some things into the show that would seem like they could have major impact and significance to the plot. Like Roslyn mentioning "He Who Would Not Be Named" from the Book of Pythea, or the true nature of the "Head" people, or the purpose of the Temple of the Five, or going so far back as seeing the 12 constellations of Earth (fully recognizable in their contemporary configurations) in that holo-suite on Kobol, even though the "Earth" from where the original humans came was not the same as ours, was millions of years in the past, and never took into account stellar drift and other astronomical factors. In the end, NONE of those things were ever addressed or was found to be an indicator of the greater plot in any way and it left many viewers (myself, included) very irked, and should be taken as an example of how not to write for a show with large story arcs. Later on, it was either Ron Moore or David Eick (can't remember which) who basically admitted many of the things they threw in there randomly just to sound mysterious, spiritual and cool, but without any clue or intention as to how to resolve it within the established plot and just forget about them. In short - a complete, total cop-out.

I would expect more from the GoT writers and GRRM, so at this point I think I'll reserve judgment until we get into S5.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Is Michelle Fairley still EVEN under contract for Game of Thrones? Two years without an appearance. Can she say "HELL NO" to playing someone under heavy zombie makeup who can barely manage to speak a couple of lines? I wouldn't be surprised if they recast the part.

15. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem with LS is, she does nothing that Wyman Manderly doesn't do already (i.e. killing Freys). Her story arc is redundant if we get the GNC.

Also, at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if the Ironborn subplot gets scrapped completely. Balon is still alive so we won't need a Kingsmoot. Dany already has her 93 or so ships thanks to Daario, so she won't need Victarion's fleet.

Balon is probably going to sit the Seastone Chair doing nothing of importance until the end of the show...

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The Ironborn arc seems to be heading towards the finish of the main story arc - I doubt they will be ble to bin it completely.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Michelle Fairley could say no to playing Lady Stoneheart, but she's said the part would be an interesting challenge to play and that she'd relish taking it on. If Stoneheart is in I think Fairley will play her. My guess is that Stoneheart will be included and that there'll be a slow build-up to a full reveal at the end of the fifth season when Stoneheart confronts Brienne, so Fairley would only be needed for a cameo in the fifth season with an expanded part in the sixth season. I think they'll try to keep her inclusion a surprise, with Fairley secreted in to film her appearance.

As for the Ironborn, I think a limited Kingsmoot and the introduction of Euron will be included, while Vic and his voyage to Meereen will be cut.

18. 137th Gebirg

If Fairley reprises her role, I doubt it will be the voiceless zombie portrayed in the books. Tyrion's wound in the show is nowhere near as harsh - his scar is not all that deep and he still has an intact nose! I suspect that, in order to make Stoneheart more sympathetic and interactive as a character, Thoros' healing of her will likely repair some of the throat damage - not all, but enough to make her be able to talk.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't know what her story arc is yet. She will probably have a much larger role to play in Winds of Winter.

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with the general sentiment, but Stoneheart talks in the books anyway. Not in her first appearance in the A Storm of Swords epilogue, but by the last Brienne chapter in A Feast for Crows (which is where I expect the show will pick her up if she appears at all) she can speak if she holds her throat together.