My Grievances of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mycroft Maxwell, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

No one said he should be.

Quinto plays Spock as a super passive-aggressive human being. Okay, the script is responsible for a lot of that, but I'm sure Quinto could underplay it a bit so that it's not so over the top.

And I won't even bring up "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!" (Mostly, though, because I don't want you to counter with "THE WOMEN!!!")

2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The Khan thing is just silly in either universe; justified (maybe), but silly. And Quinto didn't throw himself into it enough to really sell it. It's one of Trek's ultimate over the top moments, you gotta go full Shatner or go home.

As I said, I don't see much difference in their portrayals. Quinto hits it's pretty close.

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Always a wise strategy.

4. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

NuSpock also is younger and less experienced. He also saw his homeworld destroyed, his species nearly wiped out, his mother fall to her death right in front of him, and his friend die right in front of him. These are all things that Nimoy Spock never experienced. Sorry, but I'm not seeing the problem with him being more emotional, especially since old Spock was never emotionless to begin with.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I guess I started something!!!

6. Gojira

I agree. Spock prime was emotional at times, even more so in the movies. When I said nuSpock is more emotional it was meant as an observation and not as criticism.

7. Khan444

I was responding to anyone who was criticizing it, not to you specifically. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Gojira

LOL! I should have said the same thing. My postwas also a response to those who were being critical.

9. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point. That's exactly the reason why REAL spaceships don't have windows.

[Image removed. Hotlinked from site which is not yours. - M']

I don't think you know what "out of character" actually means.

Because Walter Koenig was twelve years old when he first appeared on Star Trek.:vulcan:

Read the comics.

It was. READ THE COMICS.

Another good point. Real space ships aren't built on the ground anyway.

[Image removed. Hotlinked from site which is not yours. - M']

Not necessarily.

Also, some of the background graphics floating around from the blu-ray release suggest (IMO, strongly) that the Federation already possesses transwarp drive in this timeline. That would seem to explain your "too fast warp" complaint nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

^That's some pretty foolish stuff. Building the shuttle on the ground has NOTHING to do with building a starship there.

The window business is equally stupid. The orbiter is essentially operated like an aircraft, of course it has windows.

Why don't you link to a bunch of photographs of real operations centers that have got bright lights shining in the crew's eyes too, while you're at it?

11. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, of course Orbiters have windows. I mean they have to. However, its a risk. But they have no other choice. But they only orbit. They don't get near stars or stellar phenomena

No, he joined around 10 years after the date these movies occur. Some say he was born sooner in this universe. Well thats impossible. Not the same Egg, not the same Sperm. Basically this Pavel is as much Pavel, as Pavel's older brother would be. So in essence, this Chekov is Pavel's older brother that ended up being named Pavel.

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The orbiter is/was not subjected to the high-intensity radiation of deep space, either, since low Earth orbit is protected by the Van Allen Belt.

13. Mycroft Maxwell

I always wondered whats been protecting astronauts from cosmic rays. I was thinking "Surely they don't have lead in the hull." Thanks for explaining that!!

14. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yeah.

I mean, the Apollo capsules didn't have windows!

... ummmm...

15. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm just trying to figure out why the OP is implying the bridge window should be any different than any other window on starships.

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

So starships use transparent aluminium. After all it isn't like the Enterprise never had huge windows on it...right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's the Future. I think Starfleet's technology is advanced enough to block all types of radiation coming through a window. Don't TOS shuttlecraft have windows? They're exposed to the same radiation as a Starship.

Walter Koenig was in Starfleet?

18. Khan444

Yes, the Enterprise having windows is nothing new.

19. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

The Enterprise has navigational deflectors otherwise the smallest of particles in space would rip through the Enterprise' hull like bullets through a block of cheese. That doesn't exist in 21st Century tech.

The Enterprise has inertial dampers otherwise the crew would be turned into little more than chunky salsa when the ship is ordered to 1/4 impulse. That doesn't exist in 21st Century tech.

But we're supposed to be worried about... The windows?!

20. Mycroft Maxwell

Ok, you guys have really got me on my window grievance. I understand where you all are coming from. (As I earlier admitted, I feel really really stupid for not considering the other ship windows.)

But theres the problem I have that a sudden burst of light (explosion etc. ) blinding the bridge crew during a serious situation. Its hard to operate a starship's controls when everything is whited out. And if no form of radiation got through the transparent aluminum, then you would not be able to see out of it, because no light would be coming in(its a type of radiation). BUt say thats the only radiation coming through, a sudden burst of light can blind the crew, even momentarily. (Captain Robou activates the "Sunglass"...even after the crew has been staring at the close sun the few minutes it takes him to get to the bridge.) I just think that the bridge is the one place you do not want a window. (I also had a problem with the top of the bridge in TNG being a window also-so its not just a NuTrek thing)