Things that sound odd or awful but taste good!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jun 3, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to spray some balsamic vinegar on fruit salad. It's not a dressing, just a taste.

Also, chicken soup tastes great with sliced avocados and a spritz of lemon or lime juice added to the individual bowls. Got that one from my mother-in-law from Mexico.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Fried spaghetti. It is a great way to spruce up a boring leftover. I like to add either balsamic vinegar [my favorite pantry item] and/or hot sauce [I currently have about 8 different hot sauces in the cupboard] for some extra kick.

Add a little olive oil to a fry pan, add leftover spaghetti/penne/etc., let cook on medium-high for a few minutes to let it caramelize, flip to other side for less than a minute and VOILA! If pasta becomes too dry for your taste, then add water or broth and stir while cooking.

[Last year on Hell's Kitchen, I learned the term for this type of dish, but promptly forgot it.] It amazes me just how many people think this is strange... until they taste it.

3. Portal

Portal Commander Red Shirt

Have you ever tried mayonnaise in leftover spaghetti?

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

A sausage. An animal gets completely scrambled and then wrapped into its own intestines.

5. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

Finnish mämmi. It is traditionally served as a dessert during Easter.
    Looks like something a dog has left behind but tastes good with milk/cream and sugar :lol:

[​IMG]

6. Sector 7

Since I cannot stand mayonnaise, I'm afraid the answer is NO.

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Sector 7, the longer I know you, the more I like you. ;)

8. Sector 7

^ Yay!

I grew up using "salad dressing" i.e.- Miracle Whip. When I taste mayonnaise, well, I cannot describe the awful mouthful it is...

I only like Miracle Whip in macaroni or pasta salad... and in very small doses.

9. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tobasco + Pretty much everything. I don't think I know of anything it doesn't go with :O

(that I've tried)

I also once made a full english breakfast smoothie with a friend. It actually ended up tasting like an amazing sandwich filler!

10. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Using balsalmic vinegar as the acid in strawberry jam really enhances the strawberry flavor.

My favorite odd but really really good are:

nastursiums: the flowers, leaves and seeds are edible. Flowers & leaves have a distinct black peppery taste. The young (still green) seeds can be pickled and used like capers.

daylilies: Hemerocallis, not true lilies. The flower buds are great stir-fried, the open flowers can be used in salads. They're mild, kind of lettucy tasting.

fiddleheads: the young, curled fronds of ferns. I've seen these suckers command ridiculous prices at farmers' markets. They grow wild at the edge of marshes all over the northeast US. Steamed with a touch of butter or olive oil and lemon... heaven.

ETA: should probably add this. Don't go foraging if you don't know what you're doing. Find someone to teach you.