Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, some of us (like myself) use SU because its basic version is free. :)

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You can download the Pro version and get 8 hours of use out of it before it disables itself. So work in free edition and only open pro to convert files. It should last for quite a while.

mmmm, this might be the carrot I need to finish my USS Boundless.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Right now I'm gratified that I can begin modelling some of my designs myself in a form beyond 2D schematics, which I still quite like. The modelling doesn't replace the drawing for me but adds yet another dimension to the overall design work. While modelling this scoutship design I've realized a few things I'd like to change. And so I might go back and tweak those couple things on the schematics so that when I eventually tackle the scoutship again someday down the road I'll incorporate what I've learned and those changes.

For now I'm going to continue to finish the model as is. All told though there are really only a very few things I'm not content with, but they're not deal breakers and probably no one will notice but me.

4. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

No promises. Converting a simple shuttle model should take minutes, but a much larger model can take hours of work.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The thing with the TOS and the TAS designs I've adapted into more credible looking vehicles is that there are a lot of subtle compound curves and angles that aren't immediately apparent. It isn't easy making those shapes flow naturally into each other. And some simple things like lining up corners where two different curvatures meet is ...interesting.

6. The Axeman

If you are used to working in 2D you'll find a lot of things that look prefectly reasonable and correct on paper, but when you come to model it you find that the top & side views dont match up or little areas look very wrong in 3D. I've only ever worked in 3D, but I've done a lot of work with friends turning their 2D 3-view drawings into ships and we used to find problems all the time that never looked like issues on paper. You end up making changes that are transferred back to the plans to correct the final product, and the 3D & 2D finally match.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, my favorite example of that is the Decatur class. I used to love the old orthos poster you could get of it, especially the side view. When I finally saw it in 3d a few years ago I hated it. The secondary hull just doesn't work in 3d.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In my own defence I will say the discrepancies I've encountered between my 2D drawings and the 3D model to be quite small. The differences I've seen are not really wrong or bad, but rather just a bit different than I half expected.

There is something else to be said for modelling or drawing on the computer: it's easy to erase and start again without actual date product such as paper or building materials. You can try something new without really having to commit to it if it doesn't work out. Just erase it and try it a different way.

9. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One thing I do like about SU is that you can do orthographic projections of your own models ! Could replace Illustrator for me.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I also like that feature and it will facilitate tweaking my original schematics.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Have you considered inset window-ports? In that way the outer expanse of the 'glass' is very wide but the actually opening on the cockpit is smaller--with the window fattening outward, which seems to be the case with the International space station's huge viewport. Being an armored shuttle, it would make sense...

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A small update. This was delayed because what you see is a new model from scratch. Mistakes had piled up that were bothering me in the previous attempt. Also the previous model was too sharp edged for my taste. It looked okay in 2D, but in 3D it didn't look right. And so all the rounded edges of the design have a radius twice as large as they were initially. The soften the overall look overall and looks more believable I think. I had a particular challenge with a corner where the forward viewport surface meets the roof and the side. I just couldn't get it right until this morning.

Now I can make better progress adding the extra parts. The next is a real challenge: that long triangular insert on the lower sides of the bow section.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's a small detail, but that elongated triangular like indentation in the lower side was a pain, at least for a novice like me. It's not exactly as I had envisioned it, but it's actually not bad as is. Actually it's growing on me.

[​IMG]

14. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I am loving this! Great work!

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I, to, am enjoying the idea of some of the TAS designs "coming to lie" so to speak. If the model works out well enough I hope to do some photomanips with it to render some never seen live-action shots.

And a quick peek at the aft hatchway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

You know it's funny- I actually really hated this TAS shuttle. Never did like it. But seeing your model is actually turning me around. Seeing something from a different perspective can really change a design...

17. The Axeman

Honestly I'm not into this design either, but the 3D is definitely helping as its showing some of the better details and tweaks. The only thing that really puts me off is the shape of the window and the front slope. The window swoop looks a bit corny to me, and if the front were one arc I'd like it more than the kink in at the window level.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ True enough. But if I made such dramatic changes then the ships wouldn't look much like the TAS versions. Believe me I did reams of sketches trying it that way and while some of it looked quite good they also didn't evoke the original designs.

I rationalize it this way. The Federation has different agencies designing, developing and building starships and spacecraft. They won't all arrive at this same conclusions particularly if the perspectives of different races are involved. It's actually like that in the real world. And so Starfleet could contract out what it needs to whoever gives them the best solution for their money, although not necessarily a perfect solution.

My backstory for the scoutship is that it's actually a Vulcan designed vehicle adapted to Starfleet's requirements. Hence the large viewport and prominent bow (which is distinctly tempered in comparison to the original TAS version). :lol:

19. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like it as well and congradulate you on the progress you have made on it in such a short time. Really, a fantastic job!

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral