Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watching

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chris3123, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Two and a Half Men star calls show 'filth', wants us to stop watch

"Well, you know, I love Jesus, but I also love checks made out to cash."

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

As my Uncle George is so fond of saying:

"Jesus may love you, but the rest of us think you're an asshole!"

3. Amaris

I find that saying fits so many situations. :lol:

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kid probably picked up the want ads for the first time in his life and saw that there weren't many unskilled labor jobs that paid $350,000 a week.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Which is more than some people might earn in a decade.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the feeling his parents aren't the greatest role models:

• he parents of the much buzzed about “Two and a Half Men” child star Angus T. Jones have had an alleged criminal past.

Kelly and Carey Jones are reportedly well-known to law enforcement authorities in Travis County, Texas

...in 1997, when Carey had Kelly arrested on an assault charge after he allegedly pulled her out of a car and pushed her to the ground.

She later dropped the charge, but Kelly was ordered to complete an anti-violence class. Carey was arrested the same year on a burglary charge, which was later dismissed "pending further investigation."

How is this any more hypocritical than, say, the person who works for a multinational corporation but supports the Occupy Movement?

Basically, this was a kid rebelling against a parental figure (Lorre) without thinking things through. It's like the Ivy League trust fund kid that goes to college on daddy's Wall Street investments and then starts denouncing capitalism and consumerism from his iPhone. It's stupid, but it's harmless and shouldn't be treated any more harshly than we treat other kids who have their rebellion at this age.

7. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Two men"

Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Oh well I never really liked it anyway.

8. the G-man

Just bring in the character's long lost cousin Oliver.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It isn't but it's a different thing to rebel against parents (which is a normal psychological development for every kid) and to rebel publicly against your employer whom you have a contract with. People have been fired for posting something like this on Facebook.

This makes him a dumbass.. from what i hear it may be Men's last season. He couldn't wait half a year until the show is over and then have his opinion?

10. the G-man

...but when your employer is someone who has worked with you since you were ten years old there's a good chance he or she is as much a parental figure as a boss.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Might be true for a 10 year old kid but once you hit late teens (say 16 or 17) you should realize what a contract is, what it entails and what the do's and don'ts are and he's a legal adult in this video making him pretty much a dumbass for badmouthing his (lucrative) employer publicly.

Most of us have harped on about our workplace to friends, family and anonymous places like this board but most of us had the common sense not to do it publicly (and above all not being videotaped by it and trying to come off as cool by sticking it to the man).

Sheen did that and he had to face the consequences (and it's hard for a successful show to fire its main lead).. from the aftermath i guess Jones got a "nice" call from Lorre (or even a one to one meeting) and he realized he was in potentially dangerous terrain but which suddenly turned out to be a big misunderstanding etc.. PR code for "I got my ass kicked by the producer and don't want to give up the juicy job i have".

Fact is they've nearly written him out storywise.. he's basically a recurring guest character appearing once in a while or otherwise by "webcam".. he's had his important role as a kid and teenager but the show doesn't use him much anymore and in that phase to piss on the show that may easily fire him completely makes him a dumbass.

12. the G-man

Yes, he's technically being a dumbass but my point is that it's pretty typical for a 19 year old to be a dumbass about a lot of things, including gratitude. The only real difference between this 19 year old dumbass is that he's famous and he made his comments because of his flirtation with Jesus and not, for example, a sociology course or frat initiation.

13. Amaris

Well, yeah, but whether 19 or 99, he's being a hypocrite who was called out on his comments, and now he's backtracking because perhaps maybe the show "isn't as filthy as I thought please don't stop sending me paychecks".

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well he was just a "child star" on a moderately successful sitcom. From the beginning through the Brady's, the Cosby Kids and on to today they did not have any future anyway. Kirk Cameron's ministry is the exception. His sister from the same era Lisa Whelchel being practically out of the business is the rule.

15. the G-man

Oh, please, there isn't a single person here who would turn down their paycheck simply because they don't like how their employer does business. And there isn't a single person here who doesn't badmouth their employer sometimes.

As for celebrities:

Every celebrity who works for a multinational corporation while expressing support for the Occupy movement was at least as much of a hypocrite. Every one of them who rails about how the rich should pay more taxes while squirreling away their own money is at least as much of hypocrite. Every one of them with armed body guards whining about gun control is at least as much of a hypocrite.

Why is everyone so upset at this kid and not them?

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Because it's easier to take a hit at him rather than look at everyday hypocrites. We all are, to some degree. How many animal rights activists wear leather shoes?

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because everyone is a hypocrite in some way doesn't mean we shouldn't hypocritically point to hypocrites and point out their hypocrisy in a pointed way.

18. Amaris

No, sir. See, this is how it works: If you publicly denounce your employer based on your personal ethics, and state that your employer creates filth, and that it goes against your beliefs, that it is damaging to people you care about, then you stop working for them and collecting a paycheck. Otherwise, it makes you a hypocrite.

Your examples, though, are not of hypocrisy, since they are not black and white stances. "Gun control" does not mean "no guns". "The rich should pay more taxes" does not mean "I pay no taxes". For all you know, those very same celebrities pay more in taxes. Your points, therefore, are invalid, and the foolish young man in this scenario continues to be a hypocrite.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

A hypocrite and a wimp since it seems he's not ready to put his money where his mouth is.

I'm thinking there's a new F word on the set these days and he's never going to hear the end of this.

Angus: Hey can I get a cup of coffee?

Floor guy: Don't you mean a cup of filthy coffee?

20. Amaris

Yep. "Sorry I've insulted all of you and labeled you as filth in an interview seen by millions, but just know that it doesn't change the fact I'm making a lot more money than you, and won't give it up for even a base set of principles."