New Empire magazine STID photos

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 24, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Can you show a sequence of Star Trek movies that go back-to-back-back with the same basic story points (Nemesis, Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness)? Bad guy with an axe to grind that can make a big bang...

It could be a great film, it could be a shitty film. If acknowledging that concept makes me petty, so be it.

2. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

How about Star Trek 2-4.. Spock gets killed, brought back to live, saves whales.. Kirk dealing with old age in pretty much all of them.. How about every super villain Kirk has fought in every film? How about Picard dealing with his loneliness and solitude being a ship captain? I could go on and on. I know nothing about the plot of this film so I can't conclude that the plot is the same as the 2009 film. Maybe you've already seen the film and can make that conclusion? And yes, of course you're being petty. Extremely. Carry on.

3. BillJ

Have you even seen the first ten films? Based on your description above, I'd say no. Might want to correct that before coming into a discussion that involves them...

TMP - Searching for its creator.
    TWOK - Bad guy with an axe to grind who acquires the ability to make a big bang.
    TSfS - Bad guy trying to acquire weapon for his government.
    TVH - Probe comes looking for whales.
    TFF - Spock's brother searching for God.
    TUC - Conspiracy flick with the two sides working together so they can continue to hate each other.

Need I go on?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's not about Abrams. It's about recentness. A decade ago, people were trashing Enterprise just as viciously. A quarter-century ago, there was widespread outrage about TNG. Before that it was the TOS movies, and before that it was the animated series. There have always been Trek fans who are vehemently hostile to whatever the newest incarnation of the franchise is, unable to tolerate the fact that it's different from what existed before. Yet the differences or continuity errors they denounce as unprecedented betrayals and corruptions are really no greater than the differences and continuity errors that have been part of the franchise all along. I've seen the cycle repeat over and over, so I can tell you -- whatever specific charges they level against the individual work or its individual creators are just the excuse. The real reason is that they're just uncomfortable with novelty. Which is sad, really, because Star Trek is supposed to be about facing the new and different with curiosity and wonder.

5. blaXXer

blaXXer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

FTFY
    (fixed this for you)

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So, it's the big bang theory?

7. blaXXer

Oh no. Their gags were never funny. Trek on the other hand...

8. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

Oh do go on. It's fairly obvious where you stand on the matter. I've been a fan since the original show was on TV, so you're not going to sway me with your condescending attitude about how I somehow don't understand Star Trek the way you do. Every incarnation of Star Trek has brought something new to the table and we'll see what Abrams brings to the table on this outing, now that the introduction has been taken care of. You see, this is a CONTINUATION of the first film. That's how a sequel works, so of course they're going to pick up on threads about Kirk and Spock as characters, just as they did with the series of films 30-odd years ago. You can sit this one out if you're not interested...But to say that they didn't continue storylines across the six films is ignorant at best.

9. BillJ

I started watching TOS back in 1975 and it is my favorite series. I watched Encounter at Farpoint three times the weekend it premiered back in 1987, saw Star Trek 2009 twice the weekend it opened, twice more in the theater during its run and have seen in several times after it was out of theaters since I own the film on Blu-ray.

My feelings about films have nothing to do with who makes them or if they're new. Why must people always try to assign ulterior motives whenever someone has concerns about something new coming out or points out flaws in something that has just come out?

My feelings towards the current films would be the same whether it was J.J. Abrams, Rick Berman or Gene Roddenberry making them. I would have the same concerns about a plot, that seemingly, copies the last two films plot in broad strokes. What I state is simply my opinion and can change when the film comes out. :shrug:

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of this nonsense about whether the movie is too this or not enough that is beside the point if you've seen the first nine minutes.

I have. Despite the "villain" making only a token appearance, it's already better than most previous Star Trek movies. Of course it's going to be a huge success, and a reaffirmation to Paramount that they're taking the right approach to Star Trek now.

If you've seen that material and you don't like it, of course, you may as well go ahead and focus on things other than this movie, because it's gonna be like that.

Next. :cool:

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda hoping old Spock is the one who saves young Spock.

12. blaXXer

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a cop-out and will not happen.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, let me guess. They catch him, and then he's in his cell and it turns out he actually wanted to get caught in his evil plan, and THEN things turn really ugly and he escapes again.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So?

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was sort of hoping he'd commandeer the Enterprise and attack San Fransisco with it, but that'll never happen.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

High quality versions of the Empire photos

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd rather see the character growth and the see chemistry among the characters begin to gel for myself.
    I don't want that growth and gelling to have already happened off-screen, between movies. I want to be a witness to it.

19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting the better pics, Salvor. I missed Scotty wearing his Starfleet ring in the lower resolution pictures.

20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not from Empire but I didn't want to start a new thread...from the post production process of the movie at Bad Robot headquarters.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]