Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes! I find the word "passion" to be greatly overused in general. Every job I apply for wants me to be "passionate" - about the career path or about something. At courses, inductions or even in casual conversation I get asked what I'm "passionate" about. I was always of the impression that passion is a rare thing - that if you're truly passionate about something, then that shows an extraordinary commitment or enjoyment; you're a very rare and lucky person if passion truly takes hold. But it seems passion is now something that everyone is expected to have, like it's the latest fad.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Someone who I would consider about being passionate about his job would be Sir David Attenborough. When he thought he was going to be offer the job of Director General of the BBC, he decided that the only thing he really wanted to do was to make wildlife documentaries and that he was truly passionate about doing that. So we ended up with decades of his wonderful work instead of him sacrificing it to take the top job at the BBC.

3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I am passionate about my job. :(

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't know that I'm passionate, but I do think my job is pretty awesome.

5. Deranged Nasat

I met David Attenborough at a book signing. I told him it was an honour and felt very chuffed indeed. So maybe I'm passionate about David Attenborough? :)

6. Deranged Nasat

Well, I'm very pleased to hear that. :) It's great if you are truly passionate about your job, I just take exception to the idea that everyone is going to be "passionate" about something in their lives.

7. thestrangequark

^If it's not work I'd hope that everyone would find something about which they are passionate!

8. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

As many people here know, I am very passionate about David Attenborough, I would be hard-pressed to think of anyone I admire more.

9. thestrangequark

^I like your taste, Miss C.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course. In my case, it's baseball. People keep telling me I talk about it too much, but it's really all I *can* talk about. I wish I'd grown up with it, instead of just becoming a baseball fan within the last 5 years or so. I think my life might have been very different if I had.

11. Deranged Nasat

It's probably just my youth. ;) After all, there's plenty of time for one of my interests to bloom into a passion in the years to come.

12. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

And since you probably have many years of life left, it can still become different...

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz2-49q6DOI[/yt]

14. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^I love that. :lol:

15. Mr. Laser Beam

True dat! But I wish I could have seen Mark Fidrych in his prime (or, better yet, my favorite player of all time, Dave Dravecky), or watched the '77 World Series, or seen the Padres/Braves brawl at Fulton County Stadium in '84, or even seen old Yankee Stadium before the renovation... :sigh:

Ah well. Once time travel is invented, that's the first thing I fix. :mallory:

16. Tora Ziyal

^ Okay, all that would be cool. But how would it have actually made your life very different?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I have no idea, but it's fun to think about...

18. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

It's not really a saying, but the exchange a few pages back about consoling someone in a tough situation reminds me of an exchange that often happens to me that irritates me.

Person: <explains bad thing that happened to them>
    Me: I'm so sorry.
    Person: Why are you sorry? You didn't do anything wrong!

I'm not apologizing for doing the bad thing which I obviously didn't do, I'm expressing my sympathy. I'm saying "I'm so sorry that you are in this situation, and I sympathize." Is it really necessary for me to explain that, shouldn't it be obvious from the context?

19. Tora Ziyal

^ Yup, it should be very obvious.

In a similar vein, I had a coworker a while back who said she'd been raised never to say "I'm sorry" as an apology, because she would be saying that she was a sorry person. :shrug:

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

But any religion tells you it's gonna be alright when you're dying. Even most atheists agree that death is better than pain.