About the KHAN scream.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cara007, Nov 22, 2013.

1. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Except raising shields isn't an offensive measure, which is too much to dismiss as close enough. I will grant you I wouldn't want to go into battle with out them, but there are separate detectable actions for readying offensive measures in ST. So there is no reason for the other skipper to get too perturbed, especially when he knows regulations exist that cover what the first ship is doing in response to the situation he is creating.

In real life, maybe. I would hope (s)he might keep the possibility in mind especially if it had no downside. In Starfleet, where commandeering its ships seems a lot more common, not so much. :lol: But seriously (although the above is a fair point I believe), the evidence is stacking up against the Reliant. In addition to what’s been mentioned, it intercepts the Enterprise en route to Regula I, which looks like something bad has happened to it, with no other ships around. Worse, it keeps coming, albeit more slowly when its commander should know that's a bad move given GO 12. My bet is GO 12 also specifies keeping a distance (especially when you risk exposing your vital areas at point blank range) as well as raising shields. I don't buy that yellow alert rubbish. That seems like rolling over and asking to have your tummy rubbed. If its important to be cautious of ships like the Reliant, then when they try to close, you should be required to put a shot across their bow!

I mean, it's not just that the Reliant isn't communicating, which by itself is apparent cause for significant caution, you have to take all the evidence at Kirk's disposal into account. How often do such situations happen in real navies? Probably not often. And in Star Trek we can't assume what you are look at is not an illusion of some sort, which is less likely today.

You're certainly making the case for the importance of sticking rigidly to GO 12 (whatever it is), And here you were suggesting it wasn't really for Starfleet ships. But if it was so unthinkable, why did Saavik even bring up the regulation? Was she naive or paranoid? Clearly GO 12 exists not for the obvious potential threats so much as to ensure the unlikely ones are handled properly. As mentioned above, everyone should know the score so there would be no "offence" or misunderstanding.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I tend to agree with you. The Enterprise is out there - severely damaged, people have been killed, Kirk's away from the Command seat (and don't lets kid ourselves that Kirk's not in charge of the Enterprise). And for all Kirk knows Khan may look for and find the Enterprise if he acts too condident.

I'm thinking that the unbelievable aspect of Kirk's not raising shields might be because non-one can believe such as awesome Captain as Kirk could make such a mistake.
    I think the 'perfect' people/Captain era started in Berman Trek so it doesn't apply here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is too cute/contrived. When I watched it the one time, at the Kirk-death scene I was not into the movie, but observing it for similarities/differences with TWOK. So the whole same-but-different thing took me out of the story. Which wasn't that riveting, granted. But still. The whole turnabout death scene part of the script seems . . . puerile? Juvenile? Don't know quite the word. I think "cute" was what I meant, there at the beginning. Not looking for arguments, just answering the OP.

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... That's What Friends Are For. :lol: :p :rofl: :cool: ;)

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This made me a bit emotional.. I love vids that combine TOS scenes and NuTrek.

And yes it's all about that moment.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qss7b688UGA[/yt]

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I've just watched that vid 10 times in a row and it makes me think.. God I love Star Trek.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Wow.
    Sounds about right.

8. soapp

soapp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

when I first saw the ending of STID I couldn't stop having images of Wrath of Khan in my mind, and finding the new movie inferior. As BIG as that reactor room was in the new movie, I find that little room where Spock was in was soooo much more interesting and engaging. Like Red Letter Media commented does it have to be bigger to be greater? And the whole role reversal is clever but I think mostly non trek fans though it was fun... 'cause you know... it was like... opposite... how clever!

My biggest gripe was the fact a Vulcan was called to a very emotional moment... when they don't portray emotions, then he goes on a total rage.

What was great with the classic Trek Films was Leonard Nimoy's ability to convey emotion as being emotionless. It's more what he said, then the screaming and raging.