College Football 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by B.J., Aug 28, 2013.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, I know USC beat the Big Ten champs 4 times since 2003...

;)

PAC 12 won six bowl games this year alone. I looked for a comparable stat, but couldn't find one easily. The Big Ten one came from an article today.

I don't think there's much debate that the Big Ten has been a disappointment in big games, is there?

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Tennessee may not have gone bowling, but watching Alabama go down in flames when everybody assumed a walkover was a pretty nice substitute. I do believe they're on a losing streak now. :evil:

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

It was also a nice coming out party for OU QB Trevor Knight. Very impressive under duress all night. Things couldn't have gone better for OU and they might have earned themselves a pretty nice pre-season ranking to start next year.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

You did say "January bowl games", though. ;) I went through the conferences bowl records team-by-team for the past 4 years, and other than Stanford and Oregon, there hasn't been much for January bowls. Even Oregon has been somewhat mixed. Plus right before that 4 year time, they lost the Rose Bowl to Ohio St.

There's no doubt the Big 10 has not been up to earlier standards, and has weakened over the last several years. The question is by how much. This year I was also one who lamented how weak they were, but the post-season performance has been much better than advertised, certainly not down to the level of derision the conference has been suffering.

5. Use of Time

I've never been much of a "conference" fan. I'm a Hokie fan but I don't really care much about conference arguments. The only thing I have an issue with is the attitude of most SEC fans. I have no problem ackowledging that they are the best conference in college football but it's gotten to the point now where SEC fans act like other schools couldn't even share the field with the SEC.

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, here too. I think if any of the BCS bowls got renamed, people would riot. Speaking of the Sugar Bowl, I find that Mercedes Benz logo on the ceiling of the Superdome a bit obscene. The only exception I would make to how I feel about all of the corporate renaming of bowl games is the Outback Bowl. I just like the sound of it better than the Hall of Fame Bowl.

I'm not brokenhearted about the Tide's loss, either, but did it really have to be Oklahoma? I don't care for the Sooners one bit, and I was hoping to see Stoops eat his words after calling the SEC's dominance "propaganda." One conference can't win seven national championships in a row (and be in competition for an eighth) on good word-of-mouth alone! My loathing for Alabama has cooled in recent years due to my respect for Nick Saban, a coach I have admired since he was at Michigan State. It's Florida whose misery I always take great pleasure watching... especially their loss to Georgia Southern this season. Holy cow.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I didn't even quite make the connection that the Outback Bowl was a sponsor. It almost just sounds like a plausible name (although, in retrospect, it's on the entirely wrong side of the world to make sense).

If a Bowl has an established name, I don't see why the sponsor can't keep the name and either affix their name in front ("The Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl") or just sponsor it without stealing the name ("The Peach Bowl sponsored by Chick-Fil-A"). I realize it's a mouthful and still very corporate, but better than it is currently.

8. 1001001

You were saying?

:p

Seriously though Miller played his heart out, obviously injured. That was one of the best bowl games in years. Watkins from Clemson is a serious dude.

Better luck next year.

:)

9. 1001001

Flipped over just in time to see the end of the Cotton Bowl. Wow!

I wish they didn't have them at the same time. Looks like I missed another good game.

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT, and I'm a fan of an SEC school.

My loathing for Alabama has only grown, and they're the epitome of the swaggeringly obnoxious "S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!! S-E-C!!!" fans. I don't have any particular love for Oklahoma but watching Stoops' squad call out and then hammer the Tide was glorious. :evil:

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was glad to see Oklahoma beat Alabama but I would hardly call the victory a result of "Stoop's squad call out and then hammer the Tide." I believe that OK scored 21 points on turn overs; hardly a hammering.

12. Use of Time

I don't know about hammer but they completely dominated that fourth quarter with a nice clock eating drive that started around 6:12 and ended giving Bama the ball with about 56 seconds and no timeouts IIRC. It was a lesson on how to close out a football game.

I really do believe that Stoops outcoached Saban in this game. Nick has a history of struggling with up-tempo complex offenses similar to what OK ran. He has even publicly acknowledged this after losses to Auburn and Texas A&M. There were some really great screen packages that Stoops dialed up to help Knight beat the pass rush on third down and save drives.

13. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

To be fair, most of that is the other 13 schools hanging their hat on Alabama's success. Alabama fans are Alabama fans. This isn't the end of the Alabama "dynasty", they'll be back.

14. Use of Time

Could FSU look any more lost and overwhelmed out there?

15. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Big time choke job by Aubbie, you don't allow 21 points in the 4th after being up 18 unless you are blowing it.

16. 1001001

That was a crazy ending. 4 touchdowns in 4 minutes???

:lol:

17. Use of Time

Love it. Really enjoyed Saban providing analysis as well. Glad I stayed up to finish it. I was close to calling it a night until the fake punt in the second quarter.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The crystal football leaves Alabama (the state) at last, due to the FSU player also from here, with FSU really an SEC team in an ACC conferance.

Sorry about the Alabama woman doing that swan dive
    http://m.si.com/3748799/watch-an-an...-jump-an-ou-student-in-the-sugar-bowl-stands/

Auburn fans were said to be a lot nicer and took the loss in stride. As Martok said of Worf during a fight against Jem Hadar--"Honor has been satisfied."