Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. DragonQ

DragonQ Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I guess the whole problem could've been avoided by using a CGI replica. :p

What model did they use for Generations? That looked awesome IIRC, especially the warp sequence which looked more seamless than the one used in the show (e.g. the intro).

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Whether it's inches or feet people, it seems the age old question has now indeed been answered... SIZE does matter!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

ILM refurbished and used the 6 foot model for the physical shots of the Enterprise D, the 4 footer was even used at one point. John Knoll built a CG model that I believe was only used for when the ship went to warp.

4. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I think the CG Enterprise was used for the two warp entry shots, but I didn't know the 4-footer was used. Do you know what shot?

5. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Sure, its this one :techman:

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching final mission, it figures "Alan Carter" guests on TNG, and his ship crashes..lol

The shot of the Enterprise and the freighter in orbit were pretty cool.

-Chris

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder what the deal is with the "blurry" Enterprise shot. In the CBS-D episodes (BOBW and Redemption), they use that blurry shot. But in the Modern Video episodes, they use the CGI model.

Of the two, the CGI model looks better. The lighting is much better than its appearance in The Inner Light. I hope they go with that for seasons 5-7, because the blurry model shot doesn't look good.

8. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks! It looks good in that shot, dark and far enough away that all the "detail" is lost! :D It seems strange to use it for that one shot, surely ILM had a stage big enough to film the 6-footer for that. I wonder if they used it to justify the expense of refurbishing it.

9. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Just asking how many enterprise props did they have for TNG and what size ???

10. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Total of 3. A 6 footer, 4 footer, and 2 footer. Seasons 1 and 2 used the 6 and 2. Then the 4 footer was built and was used for the remaining seasons, with the exception of the 6 in BOBW.

11. Nero's Shadow

Thanks for that I can sleep like a romulan silent but deadly !! Lol

12. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Makes me wonder if they were just being cheap and reusing another shot from the show.

13. Nero's Shadow

I noticed Mr Worf did a lot of pointing in season 4 lol two episodes now and he's pointed in both of them Legacy and Reunion. [​IMG]

Reunion is one of my favorite episodes !!!:klingon::klingon:

14. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[double post]

15. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

1st: Epic fail on behalf on CBS, releasing the Blurays in Germany in the midst of September, when you can easily import it from GB via Amazon or eBay. WTF!?

2nd: I am just watching the Art Department Conversation extra, and they can pretty much put the same extra onto the DS9 Blurays, if they come one day, because they dont talk about TNG at all. They only talk all the time about DS9 and designing the station. WTF!?

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So I watched Galaxy's Child last night, and wow...the CG Infant really is awful, isn't it?. I'd seen the stills, I knew it wasn't great, but the motion is even worse than the textures. Some shots aren't too terrible, but the birth is brutal.

I also watched Data's Day. Did anyone else think the dialogue/music and effects were mixed a bit oddly in several scenes? When Data informs O'Brien of "the good news" that Keiko was calling off the wedding, the music seemed very loud compared to O'Brien's yelling. Data's voiceover seemed okay, but regular dialogue seemed soft.

But boy did they look nice in all other ways. I continue to love that we're getting these at all. :)

17. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My discs finally arrived from Amazon today (hooray!) and I just got done watching "Family". One thing I noticed this time around that I never really noticed in SD is that Picard still has scarring from his Borg implants here. Definitely noticeable in his quarters at the beginning, with a red scar surrounded by pale skin above his right eyebrow and pale skin around his right sideburn. When he gets to France, the forehead scar has faded but is still there. The pale sideburns skin is still slightly noticeable when he's walking with Louis outside. When he says his goodbyes to Robert's family at the end, the forehead scar is missing, but reappears when he's back aboard the Enterprise. Continuity error! :p

18. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Can someone help identify an episode?

In season 4 extras disc 6.
    Part 1 homecoming

They show a scene w picard and Dr crusher.
    He says something about being a friend to her.
    She turns to him with a sad look and hugs him.

Which one is that?

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that's The Host.

20. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seemed to be okay to me. I just finished watching this episode. I really love the shot of Data sitting at the back consoles on the bridge, the shot of the displays etc, really pop. The sets this season look really great. Did they change the fabric on the bridge chairs this season?? The bridge seems a little different than in Season 3. I noticed in this episode the corridors are lit really bright.

-Chris