References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS KG5, May 10, 2013.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Khan was dressed in a Starfleet outfit like he was in Space Seed
    Sorry not exactly a massive spoiler but most of the main ones are gone by now

2. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really like those models that was on display in that scene! But that last one, I could've sworn it was the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 model and not the Vengeance... Also, what was the ship that was beside the last model? It looked like the USS Kelvin....

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I think it was the Kelvin, the destruction of the Kelvin seems to be a fairly big deal to Starfleet. And yeah, it did look like the Vengeance was on display openly which is interesting.

4. imranbecks

The Phoenix was definitely there.. It was pretty clear...

5. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

The Phoenix was def there, but I didn't see the Alpha initially though thats because I really didn't remember that episode of Enterprise.

6. imranbecks

The seatbelts! Funny no one here has mentioned it yet.... As per the deleted scene from Nemesis where the captain's chair has seat belts...hahaha.. Now all the chairs on the Enterprise in the movie has seatbelts!

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The little girl's name was Lucille.

I think the badge Kirk wore on his dress uniform was the exact one he wore in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The admirals had a more stylized version and everyone else wore plain silver arrowheads.

8. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. Also, McCoy's medical uniform toward the end definitely evokes TMP's style.

9. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I say let's redesignate the unused D4 design, the D6 - since D5 is taken...plus Eaves design looks like a proto D-7 anyway, so D6 fits!

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/D'ama_class

The only thing I hated about the Bird of Prey in this, is that the Bird of Prey always looked like a borrowed Romulan design anyway (traded for the D7's seen in TOS) - especially since the model was built when the STIII script still involved Romulans, that makes sense...Romulans are the ones into the Bird of Prey aesthetic...

10. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk's main story arc is basically from Obsession. The district on the Klingon homeworld wasn't that the district mentioned in Sins of the Father?? Also the ship Kirk uses is Harry Mudd's ship. McCoy's medical shirt late in the movie was a stylized version of the shiny version of the shirt from the original series.

-Chris

11. cbspock

Khan's cold dead corpses speech, basically described how he took over the ship in Space Seed. :p

-Chris

12. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

The "Mudd" reference in the movie actually to this character, who appears in the Star Trek: Before Darkness comicbooks...

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

When Spock says that Khan's objectives included "exterminating everyone who isn't genetically superior" (or words to that effect) it's possibly a reference to Greg Cox's The Eugenics Wars, Volume 2, and Khan's plot to exterminate all regular humans with a genetically modified strain of strep-A.

14. cbspock

I know, however if you didn't know about the comic book, its a reference to Harry Mudd from TOS

-Chris

15. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't recall seeing this posted before, but Kirk is in bed with a couple of Caitian's, a reference to M'ress in TAS

16. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. Maybe someone has and I missed it.

When Kirk wakes up in the hospital on Earth (the scene where McCoy tells him "You were only a little bit dead"), look at the big bio-readout display panel on the wall behind McCoy. In the upper-right hand corner, you'll see some numbers and the name of the physician the hospital has assigned to oversee Kirk's progress: "Dr. Boyce".

Dr. Phillip Boyce was chief medical officer on the Primeverse Enterprise under Captain Pike. (And was always my favorite character from "The Cage".)

I was disappointed by this movie overall, but the endless parade of subtle callouts like this one were much appreciated all the same.

17. pirates_dc

pirates_dc Ensign Red Shirt

While this may be included under the obvious nod to TWOK, I almost died when the nuSPOCK asked the old spock if he ever encountered a kahn in his travels. I dont know why, but that part just made my hair stand up even tho i knew what old spock was going to say. And he said " something something something.. he will not hesitate to kill you and everyone on that ship" or something to that affect.. either way.. that little part was one of my favorites

18. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I thought that bit was really odd. Surely Spock is constantly coming up against tough situations while serving on the Enterprise- does he really call up his alternate universe self every time to get advice? Talk about prejudicing the jury. Young Spock shouldn't have asked and Old Spock shouldn't have answered.

19. pirates_dc

pirates_dc Ensign Red Shirt

You have a good point, but I went into the movie with an open mind, and with the intent to enjoy it. So what ever JJ threw at me I took it as new Trek Fact. Of course, once the euphoria passes I will critique the movie for its flaws and start asking "why" but for now I am going to just go ahead and plan my next trip for a second veiwing of the movie.

20. mrpopsicleman

mrpopsicleman Cadet Newbie

When Kirk is in bed with the two presumably Caitian women, they're listening to music on a record player, a reference to Kirk's fondness for antiques.

Also, Scotty sabotaging the Vengeance could be a reference to when Scotty sabotaged the Excelsior.

Last edited: May 17, 2013