USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now, I love the look of that, but the backstory just doesn't make real sense to me. However, I know that the backstory isn't yours and not really the point, so I'll just say again: love the look!!

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On to the second Avalon class variant, the U.S.S. Guinevere, adorned with the teal livery of the Science and Exploration division. Based on the same spaceframe as the Grandeur but with a different main deflector assembly and bussard collectors, no Wyvern cannons on the bow, and numerous other differences.

[​IMG]

Markonian and JES like this.
  3. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here is a bit more of the backstory. I am reposting from Darren's post (aka on here The Citizen) from SciFi-Meshes Grandeur thread. in response to someone elses comment over there. "if it was stolen and operating independantly as part of section 31 why does it have a starfleet registration?"

The name and registry were done that way purposefully as a mocking element in the upcoming Starship Grandeur story called, "Lo The Giant Has Fallen". In the plot of the story, the USS LeFay captain previously served as a Starfleet officer who was a Maquis informer for years. When a Starfleet task force, including the USS Avalon, put a grisly end to that uprising, it infuriated her and she vowed to get revenge one way or the other, eventually joining Section-31 to do that.

Remembering the USS Avalon who killed many of her Maquis friends, and knowing the story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, which the Avalon Class Starship Design Project was named for, she insisted that the name of her hijacked USS Merlin be changed to the USS LeFay. Morgan LeFay is the female relative in the old tale that is responsible for tricking Merlin (a reason she hijacked the Merlin) and eventually brought down Arthur Pendragon. In the story she initially ambushed the USS King Arthur and it just so happened that Grandeur and crew were in conference with the Arthur's captain at the time and unexpectantly got involved. The registry ending in 666 is just an additive by her to enhance the mystery and possible fear element that she wanted everyone she killed to die remembering.

I am independent of that story as I am working on other stories in the Club so I can not tell you a whole lot at this time.

JES likes this.
  4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice variants, I guess this means you actually have finished this design? ;)

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Looks like it was painted by a Miami Dolphins fan :p

6. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

That's one gorgeous ship! Not sure about the finlets on the nacelles though, what purpose do they serve? Would love to see more shots of this ship!

7. Vektor

Actually, no. These are Photoshop paintovers of the Grandeur 3D model, which is still at the same level of completion it was at in the most recent WIP images that were posted. Some of the paintover detailing, most notably windows, will be carried over to the final Grandeur model but that work hasn't actually been done yet.

Those are warp rudders, inspired by the three-nacelle Enterprise D from the TNG finale "All Good Things." They've been part of the Grandeur design since the early days of this project. Some of you may have noted, however, that the U.S.S. LaFay doesn't have them.

8. Vektor

And now we come to the last of the Avalon class variants, the U.S.S. King Arthur, bearing the blue and gold livery of the Scout/Reconnaissance division.

[​IMG]

Markonian, JES, Shikarnov and 3 others like this.
  9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I like the cleaner lines of this version without the uber cannons in the nose.

10. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Agreed... this variant looks just about perfect. :)

-Ricky

CelticViking likes this.
  11. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope we'll get a pirate version as well with MORE guns and a third nacelle and the Jolly Roger ARR!!

12. CelticViking

CelticViking Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This may be the most beautiful post-TNG ship I have ever seen. Her colours alone give me a feeling of hope, of exploration, or a Federation that has survived the Borg, the Dominion, and even themselves and is now looking towards a bright future.

Beautiful lines, beautiful livery! Can we see more please? :)

Cheers!

Shikarnov likes this.
  13. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I would love to see this be the ship in the new Trek series.

14. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I would love to see something like this in the new Trek show. It really reminds me of a modern Ambassador class, with all the blue.

-Ricky

15. billtfargo

billtfargo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree. This definitely has an Ambassador type feel to it. Can almost see the busts of the lineage for the ship in the briefing room...

CelticViking likes this.
  16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What the Enterprise-E should have been.

Shikarnov, CelticViking and MarsWeeps like this.
  17. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Love these. Absolutely love these. So glad you're still plugging away on this project!

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

very pretty and majestic ships :)

19. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Amazing work. I know you have put a lot of time and effort into this.

20. the Animaniac

the Animaniac Ensign Newbie

Great Work as always! Is this LaFlay a Mirror-Universe-Ship, looks like that?