AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is to be inclusive discussion about all things AVENGERS going forward. Coming out of Comic-Con 2010 our AVENGERS have been set. Talk about just Joss's involvement is fine in the other thread. This if for talk about evolving develompent of the film and the cast as a whole going forward.

AVENGERS

Pics to come.

2. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Now this picture has a better home

[​IMG]

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My preference would be for a non-powered Carol Danvers first. Introduce her in Avengers as Fury's second-in-command (taking a cue from the Ultimate line), which would be a bit role than would then take on an expanded significance in the S.H.I.E.L.D. movie Jackson is supposedly signed up to do. In the final act of the S.H.I.E.L.D. film, she gains her powers, which sets her up for a spin-off of her own and participation in Avengers 2.

For this Avengers, I'm still hoping for the Wasp.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When the film comes out, star billing onscreen should be conveniently alphabetical:

The first three are obvious, because they topline their own films:
    Downey Jr.
    Evans
    Hemsworth

Johansson next.

Renner next (he's relatively unknown, BTW)

"and Mark Ruffalo" next

Not sure where I would put Samuel L. Jackson's name. Perhaps before Ruffalo.

Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) can go next among a list of other supporting players.

This, of course, covers only the cast members known today.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

"With Samuel L Jackson" most likely. It carries the same weight as the "And"

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You could do everything alphabetical and then have the AND out of alphabetical order. But Jackson seems to think Avengers is his show, which would mean top billing.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

if they add another fefmale character, i'd like Hawkeye's love interest Mockingbird.

9. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spooky, my first thought was that there is only one woman. Ms Marvel would be at the top of my list too, although Mockingbird would be a good low budget alternative since she has links to SHIELD and requires no special effects to implement apart from some wire work for pole vaulting. It may be that Wasp and Ant Man will be making appearances in a sequel. Vision would be really cool too.

I admit, I was never a fan of the Avengers. You put Thor or Hulk next to Hawkeye, the power imbalance is just dopey, although if they 'power down' the movie version of Thor this may improve things. The X-Men seemed to have a better grip on this sort of thing. Still, Iron Man was great and I'm a fan of Cap so I'm looking forwad to this movie.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't need to 'power down' anyone. Black Widow and Hawkeye and that are utilised when you don't want the attention of huge dudes swinging their fists, hammers, shields, and repulsor rays all over the place.

11. Pauln6

True. Although that does polarise the situations in which the characters can be useful (I mean Thor can fly, is as strong as the Hulk, can fight really well, and can control the weather). I'm not sure how restrictive that will be in a movie format. Still, Cyclops ended up being neutered in X-men in order to focus on fisticuffs so I suppose they will write in situations that will allow the lower-powered characters to show off their skills.

One of the reasons I like the Captain America comic is that it can showcase the lower powered characters like Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, Nomad, Demolition Man, Diamondback etc. Sort of Batman level characters with the gimmicks spread across more characters.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

As much as I would love to see Ms. Marvel in this movie, I would be very disappointed if she was only added because people complained about gender imbalance. Put her in the movie because she's a cool character, not to fill a quota. Keep your affirmative action out of my movies!

As for Widow and Hawkeye being in the same team as Thor - The Ultimates did this best. Widow and Hawkeye were in the less 'public' team, doing the quiet jobs that needed a bit more subtlety than is possible if you send in the bloody God of Thunder or a guy in a heavily armed suit of mechanised armour.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

What, you don't think it's important to argue for representation in the media?

I'm not expecting to see much more in the way of team-members, though; the cast is pretty big as it stands, and then you need villain(s), etc.

Mockingbird would probably be the easiest of the notable recent female Avengers to introduce, since, like Hawkeye (the only notable new addition in the film itself, from the looks of it), she can be explained in about ten seconds. Wasp doesn't make sense without Ant-Man, and we know he's not in it; She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel likewise have origins that would require a decent bit of time to explain properly; if they even have access to Scarlet Witch, they certainly don't to her backstory.

14. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait a minute. How do we know that Hanks not in it? Isn't the script still in progress? And wouldn't he be the perfect character type for a Joss Whedon directed film anyways?

15. CaptainCanada

Whedon was asked about the rumour of Fillion playing Ant-Man and Whedon said that Ant-Man wasn't in it.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we "know" Pym isn't in it cause they've been toiling on about his solo film for some 4yrs now. I think they actually want to do a fairly in depth look at an Ant-Man origin film.

While I'm for that and think Ant-Man is underapreciated they should find a way to have him at least cameo here and then flesh out his origin later in the solo film....if it ever gets going. He is a founding Avenger afterall.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ohh drat! Maybe in a sequel then.

18. Pauln6

I think each character can stand in their own right, whether male or female. When they have a wide choice though, I think it's legitimate to ask why they chose mostly male characters.

The hero cast has been partly dictated by the origin movies that have come before, with only Hawkeye being new, so I agree, Mockingbird would be a good choice. In fact, they could have introduced her as the SHIELD liason in this one ready to tool her up in the next one. Either that or introduce Sharon Carter as the liason. We already have a male agent in Nick Fury, so making the superfluous character a man as well is where they went wrong in terms of balancing the cast in my view.

19. CaptainCanada

The core of the cast are the big-name heroes who they felt could support their own solo films (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk; plus, with the first three, it really wouldn't be an Avengers film without them). They introduced Black Widow in Iron Man 2. There's not really any opportunity to introduce others prior to the film being made - if there was a Hulk sequel, they could have brought in She-Hulk.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

No. Pick Ms. Marvel because she's the right person for the job, same as anyone else. I don't want to see a character I care about reduced to being 'the girl'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.