RLM finally did it / Plinkett reviews Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Char Aznable, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I think they just picked her for the resemblance to Quinto.

2. tauntme

tauntme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not to mention Winona Ryder and Jennifer Aniston's kiss on Friends was sizzling.

=]

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"We were laughing, our coconut bras kept knocking together..."
    "Heh. Somewhere Joey's head is exploding."

4. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Actually, given that people in the Federation live to be 120-130 years old, someone who is 45-50 isn't going to look that old. . . hell, even actresses in their 40s and 50s today don't look old. . .I think people are operating under antiquated ideas of what old age is. . . I believe people are saying 50 is the new 30. . .

~FS

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh dear God, I hope so!

6. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Only if you're 50.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Punk.

8. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Great Review of Latest Star Trek Movie

Have you heard of redlettermedia? This guy does great reviews of films. Below is the link to his review of the latest Trek film by JJ Abrams. It contains intelligent commentary mixed in with some good comedy. I find myself agreeing with a lot of what he says. I really loved the movie and I appreciate the fact that he did not mess with the TOS universe too much (and made it work where he did), but it is not quite the TOS feel. Check it out and let us know what you think.

http://www.redlettermedia.com/plinkett.html

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: Great Review of Latest Star Trek Movie

Discussion of the RLM review has been ongoing over here. I'm going merge your thread with that one, so that it's all going on in the one thread.

Please stand by...

10. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Oops, sorry about that! Thanks!

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No worries. :techman:

12. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

Diane Lane. She's in what? her late thirties/early forties? You could easily make her younger for the birth with the right lighting and make up and then older for the rest of the movie just by accentuating the crow's feet she already has on her face. I love Winona Ryder. I grew up watching her in movies. But there are planty of actresses out there who could have played both scenes without being a distraction.

For the movie Zodiac, the director David Fincher wanted Gary Oldman to play real life lawyer Melvyn Belli (who was an actor on TOS, btw). The problem was Oldman looked nothing like Belli so they gave him a gray wig, old man make up, and a fat suit, only to realize how big a pain in the ass this would be for the actor, so they cast Brian Cox instead. :lol:

13. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    They even mention that in the movie. :bolian:

14. Sabataage

^What killed me was they even talk about the show's (then) recent demise. "I saw your episode of Star Trek.." "...Yeah it was a real shame [about the cancellation]. Good people over there."

15. FarStrider

:confused: And this is different from what they did to Winona Ryder, how?? Ryder is going to be 39 in October, btw, and Lane is going to be 46 in January. . .Ryder and Quinto look like they could be related. . . I'm not sure you could say the same if Lane had been the actress playing Amanda. . .

~FS

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  16. Sabataage

Diane Lane was a hypothetical replacement. I'm guessing you had to look up Winona Ryder's age just then? She's holding up pretty well, I'd say. Must have be from all that running she does while shoplifting (badumptish?). For argument's sake, let's say Spock is thirty. Thirty-nine minus thirty is...

uh..

[counting on fingers]

...nine.

If Diane Lane is forty-six, she could have given birth to Spock at age... [46-30=]

SIXTEEN!, a greater and more plausible age difference between actors than NINE. Diane Lane (or another actress of similar age) is (just barely) old enough to have an adult son and is therefore more believable as Zachary Quinto's mom (and Ben Cross's wife) than Winona Ryder (who looks like an elf). But she's dead now, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

17. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

I gotta tell ya, I just don't see Diane Lane in that role. Now, Meagan Fox...she would have been perfect!

I just made Lieutenant Junior Grade!

18. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Um, Megan Fox would've been great for SOME role in the movie, but probably not that one.

Uhura's green-skinned alien roommate perhaps

19. FarStrider

We may be talking at cross-purposes here. . . What does the age of an actor have to do with the age of the character that they are playing?

For instance,very rarely in do we see actual teenagers playing teens on TV. . . those actors are usually in mid-20s to early thirties. . .

Now, we are not given Amanda's age in the movie, but what we do know is, depending on the source, that Spock is one to three years older than Kirk. That means that in the movie, Spock is 26-28 when Amanda dies. . .from the deleted scene, Amanda is probably i n her late 20s or early 30s when she has Spock. . . let's give her an age range. . . if she had him at 28, she was between 54 and 56 when she died. . .if she is 32, that means she is at the most 60. . . so, the producers cast an actress who would be believable as someone in their late 20s/early 30s that could be believably aged to mid to late 50s. . . I'm really not seeing a problem here. . .

~FS

20. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Did she really appear believable as a woman in her mid to late 50s? That’s the issue of contention.