Starship FARRAGUT: Conspiracy of Innocence

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Jun 13, 2014.

1. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Aside from the technical aspects, the whole thing felt a bit too long. And the biggest issue - I guess they want to install a new captain for a new series. Shouldn´t that somebody be likeable? The character comes off somehow as stiff and not fit for such a command. But it´s just a vignette, so hopefully it´s just something to get the feet wet (especially Morans, as everybody else should have enough experience) and any final episodes will improve on that.

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

To be frank, this vignette seems rather interstitial and pointless. There is no story. None at all in the majority of them. Nothing really happens. Nothing really matters. Haven't seen a vignette I've really enjoyed since NEW VOYAGE's "Center Seat," which had a story, and EXETER's "Night Shift," which was a skit that had a clear beginning, middle and end.

Other than that, most fan film vignettes are just stuff happens, like this one.

3. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You're not wrong.

Though, knowing the intent behind some of the choices made with Phase II's "Going Boldly" (i.e. honoring recently deceased members of the production crew via including their names as fallen starship crewmembers) was a nice gesture on the part of the Phase II team.

Here, however, I'm forced to agree with you. I'm not exactly sure why we're supposed to care about Gerico beyond what Carter tells us in his expository scene. Is this just to connect Trek Isolation to Farragut and Star Trek Continues? Will there be some retcon that showcases Gerico as part of the Farragut crew (even though, to my recollection, we've not seen him before)?

When the vignettes first started popping up, I agree -- Phase II's "Center Seat" was about the only one with an actual story. Exeter's "Night Shift" was just plain fun and helped sate the long waiting period till that film's completion. Farragut's "Just Passing Through" was nice and elaborated on a relationship I think we were all expecting to be part of the backstory of the characters but has since been ignored.

To be honest, I don't know that I can really remember them all, and that's probably the most damning thing one can say.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My problem with vignette's is just that: there's almost never a story, or even a twist or anything to make it stick or even bother with.

Fanfilms in general need to start showing and stop telling. Show us why these people are worthy of promotion or commendations, because reciting their records is no substitute at all for that.

5. doubleohfive

Or, show us more intimate moments the characters experience. Little moments that the full episodes tend to omit (for whatever reason) that can further humanize the characters.
    Don't have the characters recite facts or reasons why we should be caring about new characters. If that's all you're gonna do, then no thanks.

The central point being, use the vignettes to show us something you otherwise wouldn't show us in the films.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Yep. I want fan films to show me why I should care about any of the characters. Show me real characterization, not that they like poker or chocolate, but what drives them, what compels them. I want to know how their worldviews and wants propel them in a story. Show us characters that drive action rather than passively move through the stories.

7. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Frankly, I prefer the vignettes that we do to the endlessly padded "episodes" of many other productions. Of course, I also like short stories more than novels.

8. Maurice

You gotta give an example of two. Name an "endlessly padded" "'episode'" aside from the obvious "Blood and Fire"?

9. Potemkin_Prod

Never mind.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  10. Maurice

That wasn't a challenge. I was genuinely curious. But if you'd rather not offend anyone I understand.

11. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks for understanding, and I appreciate the reply.

I would rather fan films stop trying to kluge a story into an archaic and unnecessary format. And I think that sums it up best. I like my stories short, concise. I realize we don't always succeed with the vignette format, but we keep trying.

12. jojolimited

jojolimited Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jeez, sometimes people just want to have some fun. All this critique is over doing it.

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I think in Randy's case (Randy = Potemkin Prod) he has put his money where his mouth is. You can see what he means by watching any of the 22 films he has already produced, at his own website (see link, bottom of his signature) or here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/31.html

14. jojolimited

Thanks, I know what he means. Everyone stop taking themselves so seriously.

15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Nothing wrong with having fun. But these productions often want to be taken as seriously or seen as the same league as professional productions, often boasting about the card-caring professionals that work behind the scenes.

There's also nothing wrong with constructive critique. Feedback is the only way to get better at something. And a lot of these productions have potential. I critique because I see that potential and I see that productions want to raise the bar. I also try to offer tips on writing (my profession and trade) to help them.

16. doubleohfive

I tend to agree. Where the fan films fall apart in terms of how likely I am to take them seriously by and large is not in any of the production that winds up on our screens but in how they handle feedback.

Being able to read constructive criticism and recognize that it's not meant to attack nor impugn the efforts or skill demonstrated is a big thing that a lot of the people involved with fan films tend to forget.

Certainly, these are passion projects for the people doing them, but by no means does it then follow that all feedback must be unconditional love and adoration. Simply retorting tiresome cliches like "Those who can, do. Those who can't, criticize" and their ilk are lazily trying to protect their precious egos because they can't handle being told "No, you're not perfect."

It takes a lot of courage to mount a project like a film, and even more to finish it and release it to the masses. Anyone who can do this has my unfettered respect. That said, it doesn't mean I'm not going to offer my opinion on it.

17. jojolimited

I don't think the Farragut vignette was meant to be taken seriously. Just my .02. They know how to do a serious episode oriented vignette when they want to.

18. Maurice

The trouble was, it wasn't "fun" from my standpoint as a viewer.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks, Barbara. We try. We don't always succeed, but I think some of our vignettes are better than average.

20. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Farragut crew can usually be counted upon for good productions but this vignette was overly fannish in both execution and concept.

During its first few minutes I came away wanting to see tight closeups on the talking characters that would show us some emotional impact, but instead the camera stayed in two-shots.

I also fail to understand the use of the black jacket for Jerico. One might assume it's a security officer's standard issue, then okay, but this production's Facebook page shows him still wearing it when he's supposed to be the science officer on his new ship...

The rib as the Farragut crew fools Jerico is ok, but his reaction is bizarre as he's the head of security and should therefore be ready for any kind of situation, lethal, emotional or otherwise. He just reacted in an almost naive way, and not how I would think someone with a Lt. Commander's rank would behave. I would never picture Scotty being so easily fooled and rattled.

As an introduction to the character, I really can't describe him in any way other than ''capable starfleet officer'', like a member of the Voyager. I've mentioned this elsewhere before, the original Star Trek series did it best in its pilot episode ''Where no man has Gone Before'': in the first five minutes we are introduced to its two lead characters Kirk and Spock as they face each other in a futuristic chess game. But their personalities right there are clearly established (Kirk is charming, suave, relaxed and Spock is a tad arrogant and condenscending, a bit otherworldly and overconfidant which makes him totally unprepared when Kirk defeats him...this also superbly foreshadows the end battle where Kirk just manages to defeat his vastly-superior former friend).

I didn't get much of a handle on Jerico as a character from this single clip, sadly.