What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by I am not Spock, Feb 4, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well of course flying the Union Flag upside down is a distress signal. As for why it is being flown. Perhaps because that sequence is set in the UK, and the Union Flag is just a visual indicator that we are in the UK. Just as if it was set in the US the American Flag would be flying.

2. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Different Continuity. *URL* Awww yeah, bulletproof :cool: ...

:cardie: CRAP! Now I have "they should have done a clean reboot" butthurt. :lol:

That is true. Or THIS still occurs.

EDIT: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/98-of-union-jacks-are-upside-down-2012112951186

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

The redcoats are coming the redcoats are coming !!!

Sorry lot of English stuff in this film so glad ??? Hopefully a chilling British villain !!!

JOHN HARRISON I'm good at everything !!!!

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Exactly how is the Union Flag supposed to be upside down? An American flag, upside down, would have the field of stars at the bottom of the flag. The Canadian flag would have an upside down maple leaf. The Union flag is symmetrical, is it not? Putting it upside down gives you the same image, non? (or maybe I need a new pair of glasses)

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I don't think that is the real question.

Nope.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Bloody Colonials...

:)

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Instead of making three separate posts, two minutes apart, you can use the edit button ( [​IMG] ) to amend/add to an existing post. Posting more than twice in a row may be deemed spamming, so I'll just fix these for you.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'd love to see that, wonder how many stars the old girl would hold?

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Canonically speaking, the most number of states we've heard about in Trek's version of the USA is 52. I'm sure there could have been more added later, though.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to move it around in my mind, but the flag isn't just upside down, either, is it? The stripes are just off. I don't know.

This has already ruined the movie for me. How many more mistakes like this have been made, Mr. Abrams? Attention to detail my ass. :vulcan:

I think the British government should ask Paramount for a formal apology over this, as well as a promise that the mistake will be corrected whatever the cost. If they don't, then Parliament should ban the movie in the UK. I smell diplomatic incident!

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected.

Again, thanks.

Guilty as charged. :lol:

At the risk of further offending the UK contingent, in my defence, the asymmetry is considerably more subtle than the US and Canadian flags I am used to seeing. Rest assured, though, I won't make this mistake again.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True the difference is subtle, though I can see this appearing in tvtropes as did not to the research.

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone who missed the subtly if you spelling 'defence' the way the British do and not us yanks, missed the best part IMO.

BTW,

it's defense not defence

it's color not colour

and

it's check not cheque

Abrams better fucking get those right or it will ruin the movie for me. ;)

15. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is the flag upside-down, or is it backwards? ... if it's blowing the opposite direction we might be seeing the back. Or perhaps the entire scene is backwards, flipped over, which happens a lot in movie trailers when editing small clips together. Could be all of the above. They even run scenes in reverse for trailers sometimes.

EDIT: Looking at a screen shot, I'm probably wrong.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5H7cgcpkg[/yt]

17. DarthTom

By the 22nd century the Monarchy was dissolved and Parliment redesigned the flag in a different albiet similar pattern.

Since Star Trek is fiction ... lets rewrite British future history to fit Star Trek on screen.

18. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, while it's far from an international incident, I would say it is a bit lazy... if you want to depict England on screen but you can't sort out certain details, that's lazy film making.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  19. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll call it the "Abrams flag" or "Abrams jack."

Then let's have the British eat "french fries" in the 22nd century, too. And while we're at it, let's end all that biscuit confusion and have them say, "cookies." ;)

20. DarthTom

Apparently Mr. Spielberg made a whole bunch of real historical mistakes it his latest masterpiece Lincoln

I ain't worried about an upside down flag in a movie about future fiction. :)