vital Three Stooges movie news!!!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, and they've modernized the tone of the thing quite effectively without undermining the anarchic, slapstick aspects of it. Admittedly, the iPhone gag is trying a little too hard ([Todd Quinlan] and speaking of hard, I'm digging Sister Bernice [/Todd Quinlan]).

They do have the Stooges down perfectly.

I understand the plot involves Jim Carrey, driven mad by the collapse of his career, going back in time and creating an alternate timeline.

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Thing is, while I can admit that the actors look the part, and that they're doing a great job of it, I largely get an anachronistic vibe from the trailer.

3. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

When I was growing up in the 1960s, the Stooges were on TV constantly. As a result I learned from an early age that eye gouges and hammer blows to the head were comic gold. Mastering the correct defenses and proper ripostes to two-finger eye attacks was a required part of growing up (kids today, I'm thinking, know nothing of this and, unfortunately, fall easy prey). Was the trailer stupid? Yes, most definitely. Were the original Stooges stupid? Yes, most definitely. The trailer perfectly captures the original Stooges' mean-spirited, idiotic anarchy. I'm glad that I still find this kind of stuff funny.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It remains to be seen whether the contemporary setting will work, or if it should have been made a period piece-- the original Stooges did do a bit of time jumping occasionally.

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I thought the trailer was pretty funny but I won't be paying to see this in the cinema. The Three Stooges aren't nearly as well known in the UK as compared to the Marx Brothers or Abbott and Costello so I can't envisage the film doing that well here.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Right at 1:08 in the trailer, when they're jumping off the roof - that's Atlanta!

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I'd agree with you on the Marx Bros but I'd say the Stooges are better known than Abbot and Costello. Certainly, they would have been on tv in the 1970s and 1980s a lot more than A&C (though they've all disappeared from tv screens in recent years).

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I just watched the trailer.

I didn't hate it.

The iPhone part was pretty funny.

9. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm on the record as being against this remake and that hasn't changed. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the trailer. I feel at least in the bits we see in the trailer, that they're making an honest attempt about being true the original source material. And generally it seems like you don't see that in remakes, they always want to "reboot" and "reimagine" to a point to where you don't even recognize what they're trying to do. Again, just from this trailer, that doesn't appear to be the case here. And while I'm still against it, I'm a little more open to the idea now at least.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they actually go through with this film, everyone involved should be charged with a felony. And, no, that's not hyperbole.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

IF? Um. It's been made. This is a trailer for said movie that's in POST production. (well, probably post production...)

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

They haven't released it yet. "Finished" films get pulled sometimes.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah... rarely does that happen at this level... certainly not after they have released a trailer.

Whether you like it or not, this is going to be released.

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this film doesn't get released, it's a crime against humanity ... and that's not hyperbowling, either! Those three are perfect! It was like watching classic Stooges in color. On modern sets.

I had my doubts about the idea months ago, but this is now one guaranteed ass in the movie seat!

Wait. That came out wrong.

15. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I don't know what people are expecting, that trailer is pure Stooges. It's not going to become my new most favoritist movie ever, but I can see myself enjoying this in a crowded theater with like-minded fans.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm wishing reeeeeaaalllly hard right now.:scream:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it is, and rather ridiculous at that. Here's your option regarding this movie:

DON'T SEE IT.

I'll see it opening day, I believe. It looks to be funny as all get-out. :cool:
    Same here.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Have to agree that the writing and performances seem spot on. We have to remember that "Larry", "Curly" and "Moe" are characters. I doubt the men who played them in the original shorts are those characters in real life. I wonder if "Shemp" will show up?

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ In real life, the Stooges were pretty much like people you'd meet living in your neighborhood. :rommie:

Exactly. They obviously have respect for the source material, which is unusual these days.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Better than I thought it would be, the guy doing Moe really seems to have it down. I haven't followed this very closely so I was actually suprised with the contemporary setting. For some reason, I thought this was going to be biographical, I was suprised to just see an actual stooges movie.